Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which contender would you pick?
Rand Paul 26 39.39%
Rick Perry 13 19.70%
Neither 27 40.91%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:24 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,225,373 times

Advertisements

I'm neither a Paul nor a Perry supporter.

I note, though, that Senator Paul is at least able to formulate complete sentences and express himself with some degree of lucidity, although the inflexibility of his opinions makes him a long shot to appeal to moderate voters in a national election.

Governor Perry, on the other hand, seems to be engaged in a constant struggle with the English language, and often needs to be rescued by his interlocutors to spare him further embarrassment and to keep his audience from being totally confused. Keep in mind the 2012 debates and Governor Perry's truly appalling performance at that time. Nothing in his public pronouncements since then indicates that he has improved his ability to think and speak more clearly.

I hate to sound trite, but Rick Perry reminds me a lot of another inarticulate Texas Governor who somehow became a failed President. I have a strong suspicion that many other voters may have a similar sense of deja vu...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 01:29 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,894,203 times
Either would be acceptable, but out of the two I prefer Paul as of now. My mind is open to anyone but Hillary.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,335,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The argument was about a balanced budget. You cant just have a 1.2 trillion dollar deficit and then have it go to a balanced budget the next year. It takes time.

If it was actually possible, people would have done it years ago, but it isnt. Because our government actually has a lot to do with spending in this nation. So whether you like it or not, you have to face reality.
The amount of time it takes depends on the will of Congress. The GOP Controlled Congress managed to reduce the 1994 budget deficit of $203.2 to three years of budget surpluses in just 4 years, when Clinton was saying that it would take 12 years or more. Despite Clinton's vetoes, the GOP controlled Congress accomplished their goal and balanced the budget.

Whereas the Democrat controlled Congress, in the span of just ONE fiscal year, added $955 billion to the budget deficit in 2008, increasing the deficit from $458 billion in fiscal year 2007 (the last GOP enacted budget) to $1.415 trillion during fiscal year 2008, under the first Democrat enacted budget this century.

While the GOP were punished for their fiscal irresponsibility during the 2006 and 2008 elections, the Democrats ramped up the fiscal insanity by several orders of magnitude from 2008 through 2010.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:46 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,360,522 times
Smile Who would you prefer, Paul or Perry?

In the real world, the only whiff of the White house either of those boys will ever get will be as a guest.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:29 PM

29,374 posts, read 16,286,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The amount of time it takes depends on the will of Congress. The GOP Controlled Congress managed to reduce the 1994 budget deficit of $203.2 to three years of budget surpluses in just 4 years, when Clinton was saying that it would take 12 years or more. Despite Clinton's vetoes, the GOP controlled Congress accomplished their goal and balanced the budget.

Whereas the Democrat controlled Congress, in the span of just ONE fiscal year, added $955 billion to the budget deficit in 2008, increasing the deficit from $458 billion in fiscal year 2007 (the last GOP enacted budget) to $1.415 trillion during fiscal year 2008, under the first Democrat enacted budget this century.

While the GOP were punished for their fiscal irresponsibility during the 2006 and 2008 elections, the Democrats ramped up the fiscal insanity by several orders of magnitude from 2008 through 2010.
Im reading this on my phone, so idk if its me or did you purposefully hyperlink me to the definition of the words Deficit, Goal, Clinton, and Congress ?

Moving on, your entire argument is based on falsehoods.

1. Budgets are named for the year they end, not the year they start

2. The US deficit in 1992 was 290 billion dollars. I am using this year as this was the last year of GHWB's presidency and he had a Democratic House

in 1993( Clinton's first) had a deficit of 254 billion
1994( Clinton's second year) it dropped again to 203 billion.

My point is simply, deficits were already falling, Republicans didnt speed it up. In fact the very reasons we had surpluses in the last 4 years of the Clinton Presidency is because revenues came in higher than expected, not because of Republicans cutting spending.

And to that point, You do realize you can google presidential vetoes right ? President Clinton had 37 and only 2 of them where ever overwritten, The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and the other is this

" An Act disapproving the cancellations transmitted
by the President on October 6, 1997, regarding Public Law 105-45'', "

Moving on to your other point.

the 2007 budget was the last budget enacted by a Republican house, but 2008 was not the year of the 1.4 trillion dollar deficit, that was 2009, and it didnt happen because Democrats just wanted to spend more money. It happened because we were in a recession and revenue came in exactly 1.1 trillion dollars less than expected.

I understand you dont like Democrats, but you cant just wish away a recession so that you can attack them on spending.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:26 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,530,363 times
Can we please stay on topic? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 PM

29,167 posts, read 22,137,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
What does Rand Paul have experience running? He's a senator. He was never a governor (like Perry), he's pretty much on the same level (leadership-wise) as Paul Ryan.
Ryan has more experience in Washington than both combined.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:11 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,850,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm neither a Paul nor a Perry supporter.

I note, though, that Senator Paul is at least able to formulate complete sentences and express himself with some degree of lucidity, although the inflexibility of his opinions makes him a long shot to appeal to moderate voters in a national election.

Governor Perry, on the other hand, seems to be engaged in a constant struggle with the English language, and often needs to be rescued by his interlocutors to spare him further embarrassment and to keep his audience from being totally confused. Keep in mind the 2012 debates and Governor Perry's truly appalling performance at that time. Nothing in his public pronouncements since then indicates that he has improved his ability to think and speak more clearly.

I hate to sound trite, but Rick Perry reminds me a lot of another inarticulate Texas Governor who somehow became a failed President. I have a strong suspicion that many other voters may have a similar sense of deja vu...
He's Southern and he is Texan, you up tight NE people that think that you are a master of something? Perry is a direct leader and is not afraid to do what's right. That more than I can say for President Obama.

Just think of it this way the educated talk in circles all day with out coming to solid conclusion.

I had all I can handle, with the Obama and hearing" He's so well spoken and really things about what he saying". The Fact is I rather have a President that is more street savvy than over inflated ego!

To be Texan and Southern is is just fine to me!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,483,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Well Republicans spend so much time trashing decent candidates that that's all they leave themselves with... Trash. And Democrats appeal to all the minorities by offering them a hand out.
Amen. While the Republicans are busily bashing other Republicans, Hillary will waltz right in to the White House.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,440,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
If there's anything that will help the Republican party survive, it's becoming more moderate and becoming more inline with the views of the general population.
I don't think that they will be figuring that out any time soon tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections