Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:03 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times

Advertisements

Pick up seats? Errr, maybe I've lost something in the translation of Repub popularity(7%) .... speaking of translation, can I get some help with this stalwart GOPer...?

Watch: Sarah Palin Turns Minimum Wage Debate into Slam on Liberals, Veganism and Purgatory | Issue Hawk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 08:12 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
I can see the GOP taking the Senate in November. But, only because a lot of the seats that are up are held by Democrats in traditionally red states, with WV being the exception, so I would expect some significant losses on the Dem side. In the case of NC, this could, very well, be the last time that a Republican could have a reliable chance to win in this Senate class. Demographics of NC don't bode well for reliable future Republican wins past 2016. RCP has the Democrat winning Virginia, and demographically speaking, NC is going to look pretty similar to VA in the near future.

In 2016, there are a couple of Republican senators in blue states that are up for re-election, and we can probably count on them losing their seats. I know that Pat Toomey in my state is almost certain to lose his reelection bid in 2016, especially if a strong Democrat wins the presidency and manages to ride their coattails. There's also a GOP Senator up for reelection at this time in IL, OH, IN, and MO. Guaranteed win for the Democrat in IL, I think OH leans Dem, IN is a tossup, and MO will probably vote for the same party of the president.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 08-13-2014 at 08:22 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 09:10 AM

1,553 posts, read 924,552 times
But can the GOPee actually win the popular vote for the "People's House" this time???

The do-nothing losers only lost by 1.4 million votes back in '12................

Old 08-13-2014, 12:48 PM

195 posts, read 153,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I can see the GOP taking the Senate in November. But, only because a lot of the seats that are up are held by Democrats in traditionally red states, with WV being the exception, so I would expect some significant losses on the Dem side. In the case of NC, this could, very well, be the last time that a Republican could have a reliable chance to win in this Senate class. Demographics of NC don't bode well for reliable future Republican wins past 2016. RCP has the Democrat winning Virginia, and demographically speaking, NC is going to look pretty similar to VA in the near future.

In 2016, there are a couple of Republican senators in blue states that are up for re-election, and we can probably count on them losing their seats. I know that Pat Toomey in my state is almost certain to lose his reelection bid in 2016, especially if a strong Democrat wins the presidency and manages to ride their coattails. There's also a GOP Senator up for reelection at this time in IL, OH, IN, and MO. Guaranteed win for the Democrat in IL, I think OH leans Dem, IN is a tossup, and MO will probably vote for the same party of the president.

There is a big difference, in holding the seats and picking up seats. One is stagnant and one is dynamic.

Who figured the GOP would be dynamic. Leave it to the grassroots to get involved and kick them in the ass, while ridding the party of the old crusty war mongers, that came over from the Democrats, during Reagan.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,853,744 times
And if the people are tired of a do nothing party that thrives on the pain they inflict on the people of this country, we can hope those people affected will vote for the other side.

Face it, this president has saved our economy while the republicans tried to break it ( at the expense of the people). The Republicans have nothing good for minorities, women, or the working class. they work for less than 1/10'th of 1 % of the people and no one else.

My questions are ..why does anyone think they have done, or will do anything different than they have done? Why do you think the negative ads are paid for by the Koch brothers? Can the people of the country not see how they are being herded?

Did you win with the "trickle down" economics? did you win when 7 million jobs were sent overseas?

Old 08-21-2014, 07:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Default GOP May Pick Up a Dozen House Seats in Midterms

Or they may not.

They may lose their house majority.

Or not.

We'll see in 2-1/2 months.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post
The House is hardly broken. The House has passed 372 Bills, many of the bipartisan, that Harry Reid has failed to even assign to a committee. Once the Republicans capture the Senate in November, we will once again have a "do something Congress". What we now have is a "do nothing" Senate under Harry Reid. I am an Independent voter and I will vote Republican this November for the sole purpose of ousting Harry Reid as Senate Majority Leader. Harry has got to go.
Which bipartisan bills from the House has Harry Reid failed go assign to a committee?

Old 08-22-2014, 01:12 AM

7,540 posts, read 11,568,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconcerned View Post
The House is hardly broken. The House has passed 372 Bills, many of the bipartisan, that Harry Reid has failed to even assign to a committee. Once the Republicans capture the Senate in November, we will once again have a "do something Congress". What we now have is a "do nothing" Senate under Harry Reid. I am an Independent voter and I will vote Republican this November for the sole purpose of ousting Harry Reid as Senate Majority Leader. Harry has got to go.
Do you even know what these bills are they are bills to defund ACA give the super rich more tax cuts and add 400 to 700 billion more to the defense budget. Bills that no moderate republican would even think twice about voting for.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Or they may not.

Or not.

of course we don't know, but I am sure most of us, even you do not expect them to lose control of the house. Will they add new seats, that is a question we will have an answer to in about 10 weeks. Right now, I think all eyes are on senate seats.

AONE: I think we can put "trickle down" economics behind us. You talk about jobs going to other countries, shall we discuss the leader of GE? I don't think you can blame all the jobs that GE sent overseas on the Republicans?

As for Obama saving our economy, recessions have hills and valleys; we are now, somewhat in a valley, but not because of him; it took us twice as long to begin to come down from the horrible situation than normal. Are you still going to continue to blame Bush or the Republicans for that?

The truth be told, what we need is congress and the president to work together. This is not going to happen as long as Obama is in the White House. And I am not blaming either side for that, though Reid isn't helping matters much.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:59 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Or they may not.

Or not.

I doubt they'll lose their house majority. Most people are none to eager to see Nancy Pelosi as House Speaker again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections