Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:07 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Rasmussen says today:

"Troubled Democratic gubernatorial candidate Ed FitzGerald has now fallen 20 points behind incumbent Republican John Kasich in Ohio’s gubernatorial contest."

50% versus 30%

Election 2014: Ohio Governor - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢

Have not paid attention to this race so I had to see why the Democrat is a "troubled" candidate and whether this was expected. Apparently not. The August Washington Post article calls it an implosion by Fitzgerald, a candidate groomed to win by Democrats.

"The Cleveland Plain-Dealer reports that Democratic Ohio governor candidate Ed FitzGerald's campaign, faced with a series of unhelpful revelations, is basically packing it in: Ed FitzGerald's campaign for governor confirmed Friday what was speculated for days: That the beleaguered Democrat is altering his strategy in an attempt to ensure his troubles don't doom his party's entire statewide ticket."

-He was found in a car with a woman who was not his wife at 4:30A
-He's been driving without a license for almost a decade (he's had 3 temporary learners permits - looks like last license was in illinois in the 90s.)
-Poor fundraising

The remarkable implosion of Ed FitzGerald - The Washington Post

No mention if he was a witch.

Inspector general acknowledges she's reviewing Ed FitzGerald's driving history as Cuyahoga County executive | cleveland.com

"FitzGerald, now a Democratic gubernatorial candidate (he was a prosecutor, a councilman and a mayor during his licenseless period), applied for temporary learner's permits in 2008, 2010 and 2011, according to records obtained from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles."

FitzGerald went 10 years without valid, permanent Ohio driver's license, records indicate | cleveland.com

The Washington Post article goes on to explain Kasich's comeback and the implications for the 2016 presidential race in swing state Ohio. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 11:33 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Actually, I think whether Husted, the OH secretary of state being reelected may be a bigger factor in the 2016 elections.
Husted is well known for his vote-suppressing efforts in the state, such as the elimination of early voting, which is being challenged by the ACLU and other groups.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:38 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, I think whether Husted, the OH secretary of state being reelected may be a bigger factor in the 2016 elections.
Husted is well known for his vote-suppressing efforts in the state, such as the elimination of early voting, which is being challenged by the ACLU and other groups.
LOL.

First you leftists told us the House of Representatives didn't matter. Then it was the Senate. Now it's governor's races.

Now, the leftist talking point is this: "The really, really important races are the downticket statewide offices, which the Democrats have a chance of winning! "

Hilarious.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:58 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
FitzGeralds campaign never made any waves even before the 2 revelations the OP mentioned. IMO, no {D} is/was going to beat Kasich. He has done a really good job as Gov so much that I will be voting for him. Kasich took a 3 billion dollar debt and the state now has millions in a rainy day fund and the UE rate has dropped.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:17 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
I can't say that I know a lot about JK's performance as Ohio gov, but I followed him closely when he was a Congressman in the 1990's, and he was one of the true heros of the 1994 GOP revolution. He was a stalwart for limited gov't when his fellow republicans like Newt Gingrich, Bud Shuster, and Robert Livingston decided that it would be neat to adopt the Democrat model of pork and power-brokering.

I would not mind seeing him run for president in 2016, but AFAIK he has shown no interest.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Rasmussen says today:

"Troubled Democratic gubernatorial candidate Ed FitzGerald has now fallen 20 points behind incumbent Republican John Kasich in Ohio’s gubernatorial contest."

Have not paid attention to this race so I had to see why the Democrat is a "troubled" candidate and whether this was expected. Apparently not. The August Washington Post article calls it an implosion by Fitzgerald, a candidate groomed to win by Democrats.

What Race were you looking at ????

RealClearPolitics - Election 2014 - Ohio Governor - Kasich vs. FitzGerald

This race was never that close, thats why no one was watching it.

Why the need to drum up a fake story ?

Old 09-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
LOL.

First you leftists told us the House of Representatives didn't matter. Then it was the Senate. Now it's governor's races.

Now, the leftist talking point is this: "The really, really important races are the downticket statewide offices, which the Democrats have a chance of winning! "

Hilarious.

No one told you any of that.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
FitzGeralds campaign never made any waves even before the 2 revelations the OP mentioned. IMO, no {D} is/was going to beat Kasich. He has done a really good job as Gov so much that I will be voting for him. Kasich took a 3 billion dollar debt and the state now has millions in a rainy day fund and the UE rate has dropped.
He's got the history for that. Kasich, when he was in the US House of Representatives, was the Chairman of the House Budget Committee.

"Kasich worked towards balancing the Federal Budget, and was the chief architect of the Balanced Budget Act of 1997. As Chairman of the Budget Committee, Kasich claimed credit for the only U.S. Budget Surplus since 1969. In 1995, when Kasich assumed the position of Budget Chairman, the U.S. Federal Budget had a deficit of roughly - $163 billion, and upon the conclusion of his tenure as Budget Chairman, the U.S. Federal Budget had a surplus of over $236 billion."

John Kasich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With executive experience as Governor plus a proven history of fiscal responsibility, I would have to consider him if he ever ran for President.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What Race were you looking at ????

RealClearPolitics - Election 2014 - Ohio Governor - Kasich vs. FitzGerald

This race was never that close, thats why no one was watching it.

Why the need to drum up a fake story ?
If you read my original post, you would know I knew nothing about this race until I read the Rasmussen poll results and then had to research what was going on. The Washington Post said it was an implosion. Did you read that link I provided in the original thread post? They said this:

"It's a stunning turn of events in what we supposed to be a major swing-state gubernatorial election this year."

and this:

"He (Fitzgerald) earned strong reviews for his work, setting him up as the next big Democratic statewide candidate. And with Kasich looking vulnerable early on, the matchup was basically set....In other words, Democrats have lots of ground to make up. What they don't have is a gubernatorial candidate who is going to motivate their faithful to turn out to vote from the top of the ticket. That's a huge loss."

Huge loss? Stunning turn of events? Lots of ground to make up? Supposed to be a major swing-state gubernatorial election? It doesn't sound like it was anticipated to me.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:44 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Excellent response. And, nice research in the first place. Facts are hard to ignore. Whether Fitzgerald was a long shot or not is beside the point. What, the Democrat Party, the party of the now, past and future can't find a better candidate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you read my original post, you would know I knew nothing about this race until I read the Rasmussen poll results and then had to research what was going on. The Washington Post said it was an implosion. Did you read that link I provided in the original thread post? They said this:

"It's a stunning turn of events in what we supposed to be a major swing-state gubernatorial election this year."

and this:

"He (Fitzgerald) earned strong reviews for his work, setting him up as the next big Democratic statewide candidate. And with Kasich looking vulnerable early on, the matchup was basically set....In other words, Democrats have lots of ground to make up. What they don't have is a gubernatorial candidate who is going to motivate their faithful to turn out to vote from the top of the ticket. That's a huge loss."

Huge loss? Stunning turn of events? Lots of ground to make up? Supposed to be a major swing-state gubernatorial election? It doesn't sound like it was anticipated to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections