Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:10 AM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times

Advertisements

"Over in South Carolina, the Democrats’ gubernatorial nominee, Vincent Sheheen, is accusing Nikki Haley of killing kids. Three children were killed by their guardians within the Department of Social Services. Sheheen wants everyone to know Nikki Haley was actually the murderer."

Vincent Sheheen Blames Nikki Haley for Kids' Deaths, Then Walks It Back | RedState

He then, apparently, walked it back.

The article thinks the Democrats are desperate (probably true in 2014) but don't campaign ads like this presume all voters are stupid because let's face it, it's not like only stupid people see these kind of ads? What do intelligent voters do or think when they see outrageous campaign ads like this? (I'm presuming that anyone who can tread water in the P&OC forum isn't stupid.)

I'm not talking about negative campaign ads where, for example, the opponent of an incumbent accuses the incumbent of tax increases, big spending, cronyism, etc.. I'm talking about a subset of negative ads, the outrageous over-the-top ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:04 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
It's going on all over the country. I guess it's all they have. They think this dirty stuff is their only chance.

Vile ad bounces off McSally, sticks to Gabby Giffords - The Arizona Republic 9/20/14

A mother with sorrowful eyes appears on screen and tells the real-life story of a family horror. "My daughter was just 19 when she told her boyfriend their relationship was over. And he got a gun and shot her and my husband."

Portraits emerge of the two victims — a pretty young girl and her father in military dress. The mother tears up. Her voice cracks. "He (the stalker) had threatened her before, and I knew, I just knew."

Then appears the face of Martha McSally, with words both spoken and superimposed on screen: "Martha McSally opposes making it harder for stalkers to get a gun."

The ad waves the bloody shirt. Takes the tragic killing of two innocents and drops it at McSally's feet, as if she were responsible. A murder indictment implied.

Turns out that not only did McSally have nothing to do with the murder of this woman's daughter (DUH), she was also the victim of a Stalker.

On a personal note -- it's really sad to see a woman like Gabby Giffords (who I really respected) sink to such depths due to her bitterness, anger or whatever - as a result of a Mentally disturbed man who shot her.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:23 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
stock in trade for democrats. "Bush lied, thousands died." Or this one:
Obama PAC Releases Ad Basically Accusing Romney of Causing a Woman’s Death – Updated | The Lonely Conservative

Old 09-24-2014, 03:41 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,263 times
...and here in Georgia, Republican David Purdue accused Democrat Michelle Nunn of funding terrorist groups. The crap that political candidates dish out goes both ways; it's not just the Democrats doing it.

What voters need to do is look at the cries of "my opponent murdered someone!" or "my opponent funds terrorists!" or "my opponent eats babies!" and shake their heads at the absurdity of such statements. This nonsense is almost as bad as the "Obama wasn't born in America!" crap from birthers.

Instead of telling us how bad the other guy is, why not give voters concrete reasons to vote for YOU other than "I'm not that guy!"?

- skbl17

Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 PM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
So, let's talk about the Perdue/Nunn story and the video. How is it I can watch a whole video and read a whole news story and the reporter not say what terrorist groups she's accused of funding. I still don't know. The news media sucks worse than used car dealers.

Since you live there, skbl17, maybe you can tell us.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:04 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Well, they did just say, it is perfectly OK to slander in political ads.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:21 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,263,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So, let's talk about the Perdue/Nunn story and the video. How is it I can watch a whole video and read a whole news story and the reporter not say what terrorist groups she's accused of funding. I still don't know. The news media sucks worse than used car dealers.

Since you live there, skbl17, maybe you can tell us.
Michelle Nunn Campaign Leak Reveals Campaign Plans, Vulnerabilities - Washington Free Beacon, 7/28/14

It was about an internal Nunn Campaign Strategy that someone in the Nunn Campaign 'accidentally' published on the Web. It revealed that Nunn's Charity organization had been giving grants to a known Hamas group. The Memo itself is available to read - I read it and I read the story in several places. It was the National Review that broke the story. It's no surprise that it was not a widely distributed story - Nunn is a Darling of the Left.

The documents, obtained by National Review, are described as “incredibly unguarded” and expose what the campaign believed to be Nunn’s greatest vulnerabilities, including ties her foundation has to Hamas.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:47 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,076,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Over in South Carolina, the Democrats’ gubernatorial nominee, Vincent Sheheen, is accusing Nikki Haley of killing kids. Three children were killed by their guardians within the Department of Social Services. Sheheen wants everyone to know Nikki Haley was actually the murderer."

Vincent Sheheen Blames Nikki Haley for Kids' Deaths, Then Walks It Back | RedState

He then, apparently, walked it back.

The article thinks the Democrats are desperate (probably true in 2014) but don't campaign ads like this presume all voters are stupid because let's face it, it's not like only stupid people see these kind of ads? What do intelligent voters do or think when they see outrageous campaign ads like this? (I'm presuming that anyone who can tread water in the P&OC forum isn't stupid.)

I'm not talking about negative campaign ads where, for example, the opponent of an incumbent accuses the incumbent of tax increases, big spending, cronyism, etc.. I'm talking about a subset of negative ads, the outrageous over-the-top ones.
Stuff like that causes me as a votoer to NOT vote for the person that makes assinine statements..it show me that either "they" or their trusted advisors are not of good character at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You and I agree on a few things,but this isn't one of them...yes,dems have their share of liars and crazies,but the repubs are the kings of mud slinging and fact twisting...Swift Boating and things of that nature were perfected by the far right..my God,they have ROVE of all people.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:00 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,254,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
stock in trade for democrats. "Bush lied, thousands died."
But it is ok for a republican to use a beheading? What strange ideas conservatives have about taste.

Allen Weh Ad Features Killer Of James Foley - Business Insider

Old 09-29-2014, 11:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Stuff like that causes me as a votoer to NOT vote for the person that makes assinine statements..it show me that either "they" or their trusted advisors are not of good character at all.

You and I agree on a few things,but this isn't one of them...yes,dems have their share of liars and crazies,but the repubs are the kings of mud slinging and fact twisting...Swift Boating and things of that nature were perfected by the far right..my God,they have ROVE of all people.
so are you saying the Republicans do more mud slinging than the Dems? you certainly know better than that or I hope you do. If you don't you know very little about politics. Both sides do their share, for every example you can give or every person you mention the other side can match. Rove is one person, not the whole or even a small part of the party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections