Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:24 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times

Advertisements

You are seeing, with this election, a manifestation of the GOP's Blue Wall mitigation strategy: The CA GOP is under orders from DC to get as many pro-gay, pro-pot candidates as possible on the ballot in CA. They are making inroads on this. We will probably see within 10 years a CA governor race with a pro gay, pro pot GOP candidate vs. an anti gay marriage anti pot Dem candidate, getting a GOP Governor that is a populist that runs for President would impact the Blue Wall greatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 05:58 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
States that have legalized recreational use already levy heavy taxes, restrict you from driving under the influence, restrict where you can use it, restrict the age of the user to those over 21, and restrict how much you possess at any given time.

Even cannabis prescribed for medicinal use is taxed. The only prescribed medication that one must pay taxes on.

What other restrictions would you prefer?
I would prefer no restrictions. Your lungs are yours, and who am I to say that you cannot suck smoke, whether marijuana, tobacco, crack, or airplane glue into them. But if I am required as a taxpayer to pay for your thorascopic surgery, then I want a cop slapping the cuffs on you before you can do it.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/738255_4

Old 10-14-2014, 06:21 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I would prefer no restrictions. Your lungs are yours, and who am I to say that you cannot suck smoke, whether marijuana, tobacco, crack, or airplane glue into them. But if I am required as a taxpayer to pay for your thorascopic surgery, then I want a cop slapping the cuffs on you before you can do it.
You won't have to pay a dime. I have health insurance. But I don't see that in my future as I only use edibles.

There is zero proof that legalization would increase healthcare costs.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
You are seeing, with this election, a manifestation of the GOP's Blue Wall mitigation strategy: The CA GOP is under orders from DC to get as many pro-gay, pro-pot candidates as possible on the ballot in CA. They are making inroads on this. We will probably see within 10 years a CA governor race with a pro gay, pro pot GOP candidate vs. an anti gay marriage anti pot Dem candidate, getting a GOP Governor that is a populist that runs for President would impact the Blue Wall greatly.
That would not surprise me at all, especially considering the fissures within the California Democratic Party.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:31 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,355,232 times
Quote:
Link says that miss 'easy on the eyes' is "only" 12 points ahead. With less than 1 month before election day, that seems like a pretty good lead.

It does point to some unusual fault lines in the mj legalization debate. MJ is quite a conundrum for me as a libertarian oriented conservative. I smoked it as a youth, and my first instinct is your body, your choice. But my second instinct is, not in this day and age of Obamacare where I as a taxpayer am required to pay for the health consequences of your choice.

President Obama retains a drug czar who is adamantly anti-legalization. Most Republicans don't have a strategy on the issue. They need to come up with one.
I actually agree with you on this - MJ legalization isn't going to matter a whit in this race or in other office races in the state. Jerry Brown isn't all that enthusiastic about MJ legalization either and he's miles ahead of Kashkari.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:05 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Forget freedom & liberty.
Here is how government starts to control every aspect of your life.....

They got their hands into controlling your life, through your healthcare that they fully control.

We are fu*ked!

Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 AM

671 posts, read 890,513 times
A War on Weed......lulz....I don't smoke it,and I don't drink hooch,,but a war on weed,,,,my advice is put a cork in that bottle,sober up..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections