Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 10:56 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

California AG Kamala Harris losing support to GOP challenger Ron Gold - due to his support of weed legalization which she is steadfastly opposed to

http://www.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/20...dly-republican
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:33 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Link says that miss 'easy on the eyes' is "only" 12 points ahead. With less than 1 month before election day, that seems like a pretty good lead.

It does point to some unusual fault lines in the mj legalization debate. MJ is quite a conundrum for me as a libertarian oriented conservative. I smoked it as a youth, and my first instinct is your body, your choice. But my second instinct is, not in this day and age of Obamacare where I as a taxpayer am required to pay for the health consequences of your choice.

President Obama retains a drug czar who is adamantly anti-legalization. Most Republicans don't have a strategy on the issue. They need to come up with one.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Link says that miss 'easy on the eyes' is "only" 12 points ahead. With less than 1 month before election day, that seems like a pretty good lead.

It does point to some unusual fault lines in the mj legalization debate. MJ is quite a conundrum for me as a libertarian oriented conservative. I smoked it as a youth, and my first instinct is your body, your choice. But my second instinct is, not in this day and age of Obamacare where I as a taxpayer am required to pay for the health consequences of your choice.

President Obama retains a drug czar who is adamantly anti-legalization. Most Republicans don't have a strategy on the issue. They need to come up with one.

This is where they got you!

Obamacare is going to be used, to justify wussifying America. In the same manner you just evaluated smoking.

To hell with freedom. My taxes are taking care of you... You have no freedom if I'm paying.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:

As usual we think pretty much alike. I too lean Libertarian on many social issues and I too have mixed feelings about the legalization of it. I think my main concern is: apparently the pot on the street today is quite a bit stronger than years ago. I will add, I didn't smoke it as a youth because I am in an age group where it was not acceptable, but my kids all did, none do now and all are pretty conservative. No matter how much pro legalization groups are, they certainly have to realize it can do damage to our health.

I doubt seriously anyone is going to close a 12 point lead at this stage of the game by the way and I don't think many people are going to support or not support a candidate based on a single issue. At least I certainly hope not.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:12 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This is where they got you!

Obamacare is going to be used, to justify wussifying America. In the same manner you just evaluated smoking.

To hell with freedom. My taxes are taking care of you... You have no freedom if I'm paying.
And you of course use NO services someone else isn't paying for, correct?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And you of course use NO services someone else isn't paying for, correct?
Personally I doubt that I am using any services that I don't pay for many times over, but I'm in a somewhat unique position--single male with no children, with a job, in excellent health, running marathons.

But this really misses the point. With funding comes strings attached. According to the CDC 75% of health care costs are due to chronic disease, mostly behavior related.

CDC - Chronic Disease - Home Page

If I am going to pay for the costs of your behavior, I am going to demand control over your behavior. In fact forget what I want. The bureaucracy is inevitably going to demand control over your behavior, because that 75% is money that would otherwise be going into their pockets. Bada bing, bada boom...Obamacare=new restrictions on personal behavior.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:15 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:

I am going to demand control over your behavior.

Wow. Good luck with that.

However, with that one line you just gave the best reason why the war on drugs has failed. Neither you nor the government will ever have complete control what decisions a person makes.

Perhaps you would feel more at home in North Korea or Saudi Arabia? I understand they are much more successful at controlling their citizens behavior.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:42 PM

234 posts, read 220,024 times
Or we can speed up time and just legalized marijuana in all states....eventually it'll be legal in all states in the future but why wait, we need the money now.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Wow. Good luck with that.

However, with that one line you just gave the best reason why the war on drugs has failed. Neither you nor the government will ever have complete control what decisions a person makes.

Perhaps you would feel more at home in North Korea or Saudi Arabia? I understand they are much more successful at controlling their citizens behavior.

It is not a matter of luck. It is a matter of inexorable process. Just consider what has happened with the war on tobacco over the last 20 years. You can't smoke in a bar anymore (in most states). You're paying maybe 800% taxes on a pack of smokes. A similar process has played out with regard to car safety over the years. Mandatory seatbelts, and tickets for lack thereof. Laws against using cellphones, and more tickets. Laws that made the light-weight, hi-mileage cars illegal:
The New 73.5 US mpg Vw Golf Diesel. Banned in US. | Peace . Gold . LOVE

It is not a matter of whether I would feel more at home in North Korea or Saudi Arabia, which I would not. It's a simple matter of cause and effect. When you demand for a welfare state, a nanny state will be soon to follow.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:58 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
It is not a matter of luck. It is a matter of inexorable process. Just consider what has happened with the war on tobacco over the last 20 years. You can't smoke in a bar anymore (in most states). You're paying maybe 800% taxes on a pack of smokes. A similar process has played out with regard to car safety over the years. Mandatory seatbelts, and tickets for lack thereof. Laws against using cellphones, and more tickets. Laws that made the light-weight, hi-mileage cars illegal:
The New 73.5 US mpg Vw Golf Diesel. Banned in US. | Peace . Gold . LOVE

It is not a matter of whether I would feel more at home in North Korea or Saudi Arabia, which I would not. It's a simple matter of cause and effect. When you demand for a welfare state, a nanny state will be soon to follow.
States that have legalized recreational use already levy heavy taxes, restrict you from driving under the influence, restrict where you can use it, restrict the age of the user to those over 21, and restrict how much you possess at any given time.

Even cannabis prescribed for medicinal use is taxed. The only prescribed medication that one must pay taxes on.

What other restrictions would you prefer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections