U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 08:00 AM

12,049 posts, read 5,723,668 times

Advertisements

Colorado has a mail in ballot system, every registered voter receives a ballot in the mail OR they can vote on election day at a polling station. The Denver Post Editorial Board has released it's endorsement for the US Senate. I'm sure it's a shock to many in Colorado, but most particularly to Mark Udall, the sitting Democratic Senator.

Cory Gardner for U.S. Senate |Denver Post 10/10/14

Rather than run on his record, Udall's campaign has devoted a shocking amount of energy and money trying to convince voters that Gardner seeks to outlaw birth control despite the congressman's call for over-the-counter sales of contraceptives. Udall is trying to frighten voters rather than inspire them with a hopeful vision. His obnoxious one-issue campaign is an insult to those he seeks to convince.

The Editors make it clear that Udall more closely aligns with their 'personal viewpoints', but Udall doesn't run on his record and he has run a campaign of slash & burn. They think it's time for a Change.
They don't say it directly - but it's pretty clear that they believe it is in the best interests of this country to take away Harry Reid's gavel. They are correct.

Amazing - this is a pretty Left leaning publication.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 08:07 AM

72,063 posts, read 83,719,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Colorado has a mail in ballot system, every registered voter receives a ballot in the mail OR they can vote on election day at a polling station. The Denver Post Editorial Board has released it's endorsement for the US Senate. I'm sure it's a shock to many in Colorado, but most particularly to Mark Udall, the sitting Democratic Senator.

Rather than run on his record, Udall's campaign has devoted a shocking amount of energy and money trying to convince voters that Gardner seeks to outlaw birth control despite the congressman's call for over-the-counter sales of contraceptives. Udall is trying to frighten voters rather than inspire them with a hopeful vision. His obnoxious one-issue campaign is an insult to those he seeks to convince.

The Editors make it clear that Udall more closely aligns with their 'personal viewpoints', but Udall doesn't run on his record and he has run a campaign of slash & burn. They think it's time for a Change.
They don't say it directly - but it's pretty clear that they believe it is in the best interests of this country to take away Harry Reid's gavel. They are correct.

Living in NM for many years before moving here, I too am shocked. I didn't think an Udall could get beat or any candidate running against a Udall could get the endorsement of a major paper. it seems some overall views are changing and it appears more people are beginning to think for themselves. Now, lets see who actually wins? I am not convinced endorsements have a lot of influence on voters, specially since so many no longer read the paper. They would rather read slanted views on internet blogs.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:18 AM

8,088 posts, read 4,426,044 times
Dems have gotten lazy. They are simply relying on the tactics from the past. People have said they want more; a positive direction and workable solutions. Emphasis on workable.

Failed agenda, failed strategy and tactics, failed administration and Congressional leadership.

Bunch of old rich white women and civil rights era fossils.
Quote:

Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 AM

8,088 posts, read 4,426,044 times
I wonder when folks - young folks in particular - will realize that social media is a dead end, without value in establishing real relationships and well informed opinions. So much is just high schoolish rumor mill stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Living in NM for many years before moving here, I too am shocked. I didn't think an Udall could get beat or any candidate running against a Udall could get the endorsement of a major paper. it seems some overall views are changing and it appears more people are beginning to think for themselves. Now, lets see who actually wins? I am not convinced endorsements have a lot of influence on voters, specially since so many no longer read the paper. They would rather read slanted views on internet blogs.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I wonder when folks - young folks in particular - will realize that social media is a dead end, without value in establishing real relationships and well informed opinions. So much is just high schoolish rumor mill stuff.
Heck I don't believe or trust most of the UTube videos that we see here and other places and many people believe they are 100% truthful and accurate. Have you ever noticed the number of Utube videos showing all kinds of crap that never make it into the news? That should make people realize anyone can do anything with a camera and editing skills or a vivid imagination.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:02 AM

12,049 posts, read 5,723,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Udall is one of many Democrat "Legacy candidates" running this year.
Members of the Udall family have been in politics for 100 years.
Allison Grimes in Kentucky - father, Jerry Lundergan, is a fixture of state Democratic politics
Mary Landrieu in Louisiana - famous Louisiana Political Family
Mark Prior in Arkansas - father was a Governor
Michelle Nunn in Georgia - daughter of four-term Senator Sam Nunn

The Democrats are running on old memes like "Tax the rich" (these candidates ARE the "rich"), the phony "war on women" and ridiculous things like "Republicans will take away contraception" and "put y'all back in chains" (the famous Joe Biden campaign speech to Black voters in 2012). They are also running on Old School, Rich/Powerful - "Legacy entitled" candidates.

Nothing "change" about any of these people - they think they have a "right" to office because of their family and their Daddy. The Bush family, Roosevelt family, Kennedy family and Clinton family think the same thing. The only thing Landrieu is running on is her recent appointment as head of the Senate Energy Committee .... which was a "deal" worked by Harry Reid to "save" Mary.

Time to "Move On". I think this new blood that won elections in 2010 have made a lot of mistakes trying to navigate through the maze that is our Federal Government -- BUT, I can forgive mistakes for newby CongressCritters if we can just get some fresh thinking (like Tom Coburn has done) into the Dusty Halls of the Capitol. This isn't supposed to be a "seat for life", no matter how bad you are - it's supposed to be public service, not a "Legacy" seat.

Throw the Bums out, Rinse/Repeat until we get some folks that will get the job done.
The worst of the bunch are the "Legacy" candidates that think they are entitled to a career in Politics.

I read the editorial endorsements in my local news - I can't say it influences me in voting, but I do like to see their reasoning for an endorsement. The Liberal Base in Colorado is centered around Denver/Boulder - this is about the only place the Denver Post has any relevancy any more.

A lot of people were "shocked" to read the Editor's Choice -- the Democrats would have considered Udall's endorsement as a "done deal", because that's the way it's always been.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Udall is one of many Democrat "Legacy candidates" running this year.
Members of the Udall family have been in politics for 100 years.
Allison Grimes in Kentucky - father, Jerry Lundergan, is a fixture of state Democratic politics
Mary Landrieu in Louisiana - famous Louisiana Political Family
Mark Prior in Arkansas - father was a Governor
Michelle Nunn in Georgia - daughter of four-term Senator Sam Nunn

The Democrats are running on old memes like "Tax the rich" (these candidates ARE the "rich"), the phony "war on women" and ridiculous things like "Republicans will take away contraception" and "put y'all back in chains" (the famous Joe Biden campaign speech to Black voters in 2012). They are also running on Old School, Rich/Powerful - "Legacy entitled" candidates.

Nothing "change" about any of these people - they think they have a "right" to office because of their family and their Daddy. The Bush family, Roosevelt family, Kennedy family and Clinton family think the same thing. The only thing Landrieu is running on is her recent appointment as head of the Senate Energy Committee .... which was a "deal" worked by Harry Reid to "save" Mary.

Time to "Move On". I think this new blood that won elections in 2010 have made a lot of mistakes trying to navigate through the maze that is our Federal Government -- BUT, I can forgive mistakes for newby CongressCritters if we can just get some fresh thinking (like Tom Coburn has done) into the Dusty Halls of the Capitol. This isn't supposed to be a "seat for life", no matter how bad you are - it's supposed to be public service, not a "Legacy" seat.

Throw the Bums out, Rinse/Repeat until we get some folks that will get the job done.
The worst of the bunch are the "Legacy" candidates that think they are entitled to a career in Politics.

I read the editorial endorsements in my local news - I can't say it influences me in voting, but I do like to see their reasoning for an endorsement. The Liberal Base in Colorado is centered around Denver/Boulder - this is about the only place the Denver Post has any relevancy any more.

A lot of people were "shocked" to read the Editor's Choice -- the Democrats would have considered Udall's endorsement as a "done deal", because that's the way it's always been.
Of course I know about Pryor and Udall, as well as Mary and Nunn, but I didn't recognize the name: Allison Grimes. I have to admit, if Nunn's daughter is anything like him, I might have supporter her I I lived in GA. Hubby and I probably would have supported Sam Nunn for President. Oh, you forgot Carter's grandson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or