U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:20 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,313,429 times

Advertisements

Rothenberg:

There is little question remaining; the GOP will keep the house and take over the Senate. We will indeed have Mia Love as the first beautiful congresswoman from Utah.

The only question remaining is what will be done with this new found power? What is the positive agenda, and what is the strategy to combat the forces of big government and nanny-statism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 10:34 AM

4,572 posts, read 2,984,082 times
Even if the republicans win back the senate and get legislation passed, the do-nothing president will veto everything.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:28 AM

72,175 posts, read 83,885,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Rothenberg:

There is little question remaining; the GOP will keep the house and take over the Senate. We will indeed have Mia Love as the first beautiful congresswoman from Utah.

The only question remaining is what will be done with this new found power? What is the positive agenda, and what is the strategy to combat the forces of big government and nanny-statism?
I am smiling cause I took your comment to mean, we have no attractive female congresswomen, but I think what you mean is: no attractive ones from the state of Utah, right? I think it goes without saying, as a general rule the Republicans take the lead on attractive elected females over the Democrats. At least it certainly appears that way and again, I am generalizing.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:21 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,239,334 times
Quote:
The same the GOP has always done. Wage wars, increase the size of government of their favorite departments while telling the useful idiots they are decreasing the size of government while authorizing spending for the NSA, CIA, and reauthorizing the Patriot Act, etc.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:46 PM

29,380 posts, read 39,864,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Even if the republicans win back the senate and get legislation passed, the do-nothing president will veto everything.
What goes around comes around. Or turnabout is fair play. Any GOP agenda is DOA in a filibuster or at the President's desk.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:58 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,313,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The same the GOP has always done. Wage wars, increase the size of government of their favorite departments while telling the useful idiots they are decreasing the size of government while authorizing spending for the NSA, CIA, and reauthorizing the Patriot Act, etc.
Sometimes war is a necessary thing. Would you have preferred that FDR let the Nazis take over Europe?

Old 10-11-2014, 06:07 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,611,419 times
Quote:
Rothenberg:

That is a bit sexist.

Seeing that this "wave" won't get a filibuster proof Senate, I doubt there will be much change because Republicans will try to push through bats**t crazy ideas that will just get blocked in the Senate, like they are currently being blocked, and not much will change.

Although I do find it funny that you think the Republicans are the example of "small government and anit nanny-statism" even though that has been shown to you time and time again to not be true. Republicans love being all about big government and a nanny statist just as much as the Democrats, it is just that you agree with the things Republicans wish to be big government and nanny statists about.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:09 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,806,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Unfortunately, you are right. He'll veto everything and then claim the republicans won't work with him.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:11 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,474,651 times
Aside from legislation, which it has been pointed out above, that will be vetoed there isn't much power left. There is 'advice and consent' which will be important. And also the power to accuse, try, and remove a person from office which can be a handy tool if the Congress is adult enough to use it. And the approval or rejection of treaties.

I'll expect a lot of finger pointing though now the culprits of both sides will be much more obvious.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:11 PM

7,846 posts, read 5,306,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Unfortunately, you are right. He'll veto everything and then claim the republicans won't work with him.
He's a nicer man than I.

I would have told them to go **** themselves 6 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or