Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:21 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
I think the Democrats will be scared to death if Rubio or Cruz run in 2016. Even if they were to attract 40% of the Latino vote instead of 30%, that could still make a difference.
If I was a Democrat, I'd be more afraid of Susana Martinez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 05:28 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
As a Latino, US born from Mexican parents (both now citizens), I tend to pay attention to what is going on in the Hispanic community and what people are saying. In addition, because my office appears in a lot of public events to advertise for our immigration department, and I happen to help out because of my ability to speak Spanish, I also get to speak to a lot of people in the community about the issues.

While some Hispanics may be angry with Obama and dissatisfied with the lack of progress regarding immigration, the general consensus understands that immigration is a complicated issue to begin with. I would venture out to say that far more Hispanics blame the GOP in their efforts to block immigration reform than Obama and the democrats for not getting past these hurdles.

But even if there was some anger towards Obama from the Hispanic community, I can say that this has pretty much been neutralized by Obamacare which many Hispanics are taking advantage of and know that it is thanks to Obama.

Having said all of this, I doubt either of these two items are going to make an impact on Hispanic voting because, as suggested, Hispanics tend not to vote as much in mid-term elections.

Mark my words on this: the GOP is not going flip the 70-30 Hispanic vote. Although the Hispanic population does tend to be conservative, Hispanics have had a distrust of the GOP for as far back as I can remember. Hispanics see the GOP synonymously with old rich white guys who pass laws to look out for their money.

This.

I'm not one to make predictions on politics/elections but I will say this:
In 2014 you will see the Hispanic vote being neutral.
But in 2016 I think the GOP is in a world of hurt with the Hispanic vote if today's trends continue to 2016.
It's not reform. It's amnesty and what makes the Hispanic-American community think that their ethnic group should get a pass on our immigration laws anyway? Aren't they obligated to respect and honor them just like every other group of citizens?

Hispanic-Americans aren't very smart then to have swallowed the propaganda that the GOP is composed mostly of rich white guys. I still say it is still all about demanding amnesty for their illegal amigos and the GOP will have none of it and rightly so! Is that the trend you are referring to? You know it is if you really want to be honest about it.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:33 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The Tea Party reign is over, let 2010 go. If you haven't forgotten the Tea Party lost traction in 2012, Romney lost the presidency, and even in 2014 there were a number of Tea Party members to lose the primaries. That lame movement is dead.
The TEA Party elected Ted Cruz.

The TEA Party is about to elect the Govenor, Lt. Gov, AttyGen plus others in Texas. About ten p.m. Nov 04 it's going to be Texas Tea. Same as Long Island Tea, just sweeter.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Leaving church on a recent Sunday, Jose Trujillo paused to consider the upcoming midterm election and two of the hottest Senate and gubernatorial races in the country, blazing away right here in Georgia.

Trujillo hasn't paid much attention to either contest, but it's not his flooring business that's kept him too busy to care, or his infant daughter who's taken away his interest. Rather, he cited President Obama and his failure to overhaul the nation's vexing immigration laws.

Latinos, angry with Obama, may sit out midterm vote, hurting Democrats - LA Times

Trujillo: if "immigration reform" is so important to you; please LEAVE the US, it ain't gonna happen because we have way too many illegal aliens here now. Sheesh!
LOL..sit out the vote ?
Hispanics don't have a big turnout to begin with and now the few that do vote are going to sit it out ?

Old 10-21-2014, 05:38 PM

451 posts, read 562,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I'm glad you as a Mexican-American feel like you can speak for the entire Hispanic community which, by the way, is essentially a made up demographic.
I'm not trying to portray myself as speaking on behalf of the Hispanic/Latino community. I'm only pointing out some of my observations about what is trending in a community that I'm pretty ingrained in. I would think my observations on the matter hold some value over Anglo-American speculation on the same. If you disagree with that notion, that's fine. Don't get mad because I'm dissenting on some of the issues raised.

And btw, this topic is not about about the "Hispanic" term/concept. I'm only using that term since it was being used by some of the posts I was referring to.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:49 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to portray myself as speaking on behalf of the Hispanic/Latino community. I'm only pointing out some of my observations about what is trending in a community that I'm pretty ingrained in. I would think my observations on the matter hold some value over Anglo-American speculation on the same. If you disagree with that notion, that's fine. Don't get mad because I'm dissenting on some of the issues raised.
I didn't know you were ingrained in the Uruguayan-American Community, the Argentinian-American Community, the Venezuelan-American Community, the Spanish American community, the Cuban American community, etc. I must have just pegged you wrong.

Quote:
And btw, this topic is not about about the "Hispanic" term/concept. I'm only using that term since it was being used by some of the posts I was referring to.
If you're going to be posting on behalf of every American that meats the census designation description for "hispanic," it most certainly matters.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not reform. It's amnesty and what makes the Hispanic-American community think that their ethnic group should get a pass on our immigration laws anyway? Aren't they obligated to respect and honor them just like every other group of citizens?

Hispanic-Americans aren't very smart then to have swallowed the propaganda that the GOP is composed mostly of rich white guys. I still say it is still all about demanding amnesty for their illegal amigos and the GOP will have none of it and rightly so! Is that the trend you are referring to? You know it is if you really want to be honest about it.
I'm not arguing about amnesty, etc., and if "they" are obligated to respect and honor the laws. The issues of immigration are far too many to pin it down to this simple concept of amnesty (although amnesty may be one of the issues).

But it has been the GOP which has blocked the most recent reforms on immigration. The Dream Act for example, which many thought was pretty sensible was opposed by the majority of the GOP in the House. We have these stop and detain laws in AZ that were hugely unpopular. We have GOP congressman appearing on commercials and talking about how illegals need to be deported "RIGHT NOW" or you will be the victim of some violent crime. Shawn Hannity and Rush Limbaugh could go on for hours and days about how immigration is ruining America.

It goes on and on with these immigration issues where the GOP has been one sided on. I'm not debating what's best for our country on these items, but when you have so many issues constantly brought to the attention of the Latino community, they are going to be reminded that when it comes to ANY ISSUE regarding immigration, the GOP is going to oppose it.

You saying that it is all about amnesty fails to look at the big picture.

Last edited by latino_esq; 10-21-2014 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: editing

Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I didn't know you were ingrained in the Uruguayan-American Community, the Argentinian-American Community, the Venezuelan-American Community, the Spanish American community, the Cuban American community, etc. I must have just pegged you wrong.

If you're going to be posting on behalf of every American that meats the census designation description for "hispanic," it most certainly matters.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:40 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing about amnesty, etc., and if "they" are obligated to respect and honor the laws. The issues of immigration are far too many to pin it down to this simple concept of amnesty (although amnesty may be one of the issues).

But it has been the GOP which has blocked the most recent reforms on immigration. The Dream Act for example, which many thought was pretty sensible was opposed by the majority of the GOP in the House. We have these stop and detain laws in AZ that were hugely unpopular. We have GOP congressman appearing on commercials and talking about how illegals need to be deported "RIGHT NOW" or you will be the victim of some violent crime. Shawn Hannity and Rush Limbaugh could go on for hours and days about how immigration is ruining America.

It goes on and on with these immigration issues where the GOP has been one sided on. I'm not debating what's best for our country on these items, but when you have so many issues constantly brought to the attention of the Latino community, they are going to be reminded that when it comes to ANY ISSUE regarding immigration, the GOP is going to oppose it.

You saying that it is all about amnesty fails to look at the big picture.
The GOP has blocked it because it isn't reform it's amnesty! No way should the parents of these Dreamers be rewarded for bringing their kids here illegally by allowing them to stay. The whole family needs to go back to their homelands.

If anyone was stopped in Arizona it was not based on how they look. They are stopped only under lawful contact and even at that if one can provide a viable ID denoting they are legally in this country then no further questions about status can ensue. I am not aware of any GOP congressmen that have made the statements that you claim but even if that were true it would only be a few not the majority. Hannity and Limbaugh aren't congressmen so who cares what they say? I doubt they are saying "immigration" is ruining America but illegal immigration. Big difference!

Why is the Latino community offended by the enforcement of our immigration laws and those who want those laws respected? Are they as a community special and above those laws? What's this big picture you speak of?

Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
The TEA Party elected Ted Cruz.

The TEA Party is about to elect the Govenor, Lt. Gov, AttyGen plus others in Texas. About ten p.m. Nov 04 it's going to be Texas Tea. Same as Long Island Tea, just sweeter.
Sure, why not. Only 1/4 of the people in Texas even bother to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections