Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 34,982,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
There is not a requirement in TX to have a DL to vote, either. You can use any number of other documents--some free, some more $$ than a DL and some with a small fee.

Most people already have a DL, but if you don't, there are other options available.
A National ID would fix this problem that conservatives have. If everyone had a National ID at 18, that could then be accepted in any state as a valid ID. Granted any photo ID should be accepted, including student IDs, if all that matters is that it has your name and picture on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:50 PM

23,653 posts, read 17,406,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Not so, Janelle.
Most elderly folks who have quit driving still have licenses, but the licenses are mostly expired. Most voting laws require a valid driver's license to vote, and the elderly are traditionally the largest bloc of regular voters.

Other non-drivers- handicapped folks and those with disabilities that prevent them from driving at any age, also don't own licenses. many young people who have never owned a car and have no plans on buying one don't own a license, and their numbers are steadily increasing.

If you add all these people up, there are a lot of voters who have their constitutional rights violated by the ID requirement for receiving a ballot. You cannot say with any accuracy that these people would not vote if they were allowed the opportunity to vote.

I once saw an old lady who had never missed an election in 70 years get turned away because she moved into the rest home where my polling place is located. She had an long-expired driving license, and was born here in my town, but even her birth certificate didn't count at the polls. She presented it.

Our problem is the fact we use our driver's licenses as a national means of ID. Other nations issue official identification documents that don't require the ability to drive as part of them, and the U.S. needs to adopt this.

A license to drive could be a separate card in the wallet, or could be easily integrated on the back of an ID card with no problems. Applying for an ID could, and should, be just as easy as obtaining a first driving license for everyone.

The ID laws were never anything but a means to prevent some voters from voting. In some instances, they are used to weaken solid voting blocs for one party, and in other instances, they are used to keep a large voting bloc intact. Either way, the violate us all, and our Constitution, as they threaten our individual liberties and freedom. This is bureaucratic over-reach at it's worst.

That is not true. My elderly mother lived with me for 7 years. We took her to get an up to date photo ID. She didn't drive but she had her ID. Plus Obama just said most people have IDs so what is it? They won't even let you in to hear Obama make a speech without an ID anymore.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:57 AM

29,167 posts, read 22,137,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
That is not true. My elderly mother lived with me for 7 years. We took her to get an up to date photo ID. She didn't drive but she had her ID. Plus Obama just said most people have IDs so what is it? They won't even let you in to hear Obama make a speech without an ID anymore.
Lucky mother. She had one of her kids to help her out. Many older folks don't have that help.
Here where I live, a long expired driver's license requires a driving test to issue a current license, and since a lot of old folks haven't' driven for years, a lot fail the driving test. …. and never get any ID as a result.

Without help, many can't even get to the license bureau. So they, too, can't get an ID for voting.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:11 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
So up until now she's just been voting willy nilly with no ID? Now I'm questioning every single past election in my lifetime.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:58 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,850,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGamecock View Post
If a disabled veteran could use their ID to vote, then that would be A LOT BETTER than a utility bill. Making a disabled veteran spend time and effort to obtain another ID is a poll tax in my non-professional, personal opinion.
Plus that DS Vet has Military ID and VA ID Card. I have both.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:24 AM

62,350 posts, read 28,634,738 times
Quote:
Lucky mother. She had one of her kids to help her out. Many older folks don't have that help.
Here where I live, a long expired driver's license requires a driving test to issue a current license, and since a lot of old folks haven't' driven for years, a lot fail the driving test. …. and never get any ID as a result.

Without help, many can't even get to the license bureau. So they, too, can't get an ID for voting.
Nonsense there is always a neighbor or friend that can help out. All an elderly person needs is a State ID. It has your picture on it but you just can't drive.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:

The old DL may have expired--and the older person may not drive any longer, but that does NOT mean that they cannot get another form of non-driver's ID. In Texas, there are two other inexpensive choices for an ID card.

Sorry, no excuse. You can even call and request help if you need it.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 AM

67,637 posts, read 60,153,461 times
Quote:
In Texas, a photo ID from a College/University or Veteran's Affairs is not acceptable.

In Texas, the only forms of ID that are acceptable are photo ID's issued by either the Federal government or the Department of Public Safety (DPS).

You do know that many people who are not citizens of the US and therefore ineligible to vote have college ID's, right? For that matter, you don't even have to be a US citizen to be a veteran.

Texas drivers' licenses issued to non citizens have the phrase "limited term" on them, which shows that they are not a citizen and are therefore not allowed to vote. Passports also clearly show whether or not a person is a US citizen.

So that's why these other forms of ID are not acceptable.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
If a disabled veteran could use their ID to vote, then that would be A LOT BETTER than a utility bill. Making a disabled veteran spend time and effort to obtain another ID is a poll tax in my non-professional, personal opinion.
Did you know that Texas has mobile units who will provide an acceptable photo ID at no cost to the citizen?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:

In Texas, if they cannot get to the office for their photo ID, a mobile unit will come out at no charge and get them the required ID - also at no charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections