Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:57 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times

Advertisements

After a year of insisting that they could unseat Mitch McConnell, today the Democrat Senate Campaign Committee announced they were pulling all ads from the Kentucky race and not spending any more money there.

Quote:
That decision effectively leaves Democrat Alison Lundergan Grimes on her own and is rightly read as a sign that national Democrats believe the race is effectively over.
Democrats are pulling out of the Kentucky Senate race. Here’s why that’s important. - The Washington Post

Poor Allison, left all alone blubbering about why she can't tell us if she voted for Obama or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 03:05 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
I'm surprised Soros and the rest of the big moneyed Democrat power brokers couldn't come up with some money to defeat McConnell. Must be worse for Democrats than we thought.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:10 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I'm surprised Soros and the rest of the big moneyed Democrat power brokers couldn't come up with some money to defeat McConnell. Must be worse for Democrats than we thought.
As we get closer to Election Day, those from each side cut back on where they are spending. The NRSC recently pulled their spending in Michigan, which was one of the states they were targeting previously

Old 10-14-2014, 03:10 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
It doesn't necessarily mean the DSCC has given up on Grimes at all.

As the last paragraph of the article you linked said: (I'm paraphrasing) Now that the Georgia race is going the right way, and is within the planned margins and trend lines, now is the time to put money into other states were the races are neck to neck.

It's as possible that Grimes has enough now to carry the last weeks on her own funding. Candidate donations are very often held in reserve until late in the game.

The NRSC does exactly the same thing. It's just good politics to put the last-minute money into races where the money will do the most good.

The guys holding the checkbooks are not looking for symbolic wins. They want much more tangible results. If Mitch looks like he's going to be a runaway winner, he's not going to get any party money either in the last days of the campaign.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:41 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,074 times
One would think McConnell would be rather easy to defeat. Of course, I thought dingy harry would get booted too.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:17 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Default Democrats throw in the towel in Kentucky.

Key Democratic groups giving up on Senate race in Kentucky - The Washington Post

Democrats appear to have given up on defeating Mitch McConnell. I always liked McConnell. He is one of those guys who seems to be hated by both sides, proving that he is doing something right.

His former aide Rohit Kumar was one of the most brilliant to have served the country

Congressional Record - 113th Congress (2013-2014) - THOMAS (Library of Congress):

Old 10-15-2014, 05:48 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times
mcconnell is everything thats wrong with politics. what, 37 years in the senate?

Old 10-15-2014, 05:57 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
Ms. Grimes did herself no favors by not answering the obvious question whether she voted for Pres. Obama. I don't care what political party you are a member, you make yourself a laughing stock if you hem and haw over a question that everyone knows the answer to. Just come out with it and move on. It all is politics 101.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:20 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Ms. Grimes did herself no favors by not answering the obvious question whether she voted for Pres. Obama. I don't care what political party you are a member, you make yourself a laughing stock if you hem and haw over a question that everyone knows the answer to. Just come out with it and move on. It all is politics 101.
Yeah, that was the latest in a long line of really bad gaffes by Democrats this cycle. I am confident there will be more before Election Day.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:36 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
So, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, John Lewis, Chas Dingell, James Clyburn, Barbara Boxer, Diane Feinstein, Shelia Jackson Lee, Charlie Rangel, ad infinitum. Need I say more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
mcconnell is everything thats wrong with politics. what, 37 years in the senate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections