Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
For years, the Repubs would mock the Dems for having so many "special interests-aka (minorities)". Isn't this the same thing? If not, then why is it not the same thing? By caving into the Dems demands on issues like immigration reform, isn't the repub party going against its principles?
I do not think anyone is caving in to anyone's demands. You make it sound like the GOP is being blackmailed or being held hostage or something. GW was pushing for some reforms in immigration for heavens sake. I know everything is his fault; blame in on George W.

With that here is a part of a commercial I heard yesterday on a local radio station and of course it is only a very small part of it, but a man is running for city council in a neighboring city that does have a large Hispanic population. The add mentioned why he should be elected: why? because, as the young lade said: he will look out for the rights of Latinos. I thought we elect candidates to look out for the rights of the people, not one group. I was stunned.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:31 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do not think anyone is caving in to anyone's demands. You make it sound like the GOP is being blackmailed or being held hostage or something. GW was pushing for some reforms in immigration for heavens sake. I know everything is his fault; blame in on George W.

With that here is a part of a commercial I heard yesterday on a local radio station and of course it is only a very small part of it, but a man is running for city council in a neighboring city that does have a large Hispanic population. The add mentioned why he should be elected: why? because, as the young lade said: he will look out for the rights of Latinos. I thought we elect candidates to look out for the rights of the people, not one group. I was stunned.
This is what this pandering comes down to now. Illegal immigration is now a Latino's rights issue.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:01 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

For so long though, Repubs have proclaimed that they see everyone as simply American and not hyphenated Americans. I just checked the mail today and found a picture of a member of my friend's family on a campaign mailer. She says "I'm Latina and I support the Republican". I always thought that the Repubs disdained "identity politics". It's funny because this woman is not the stereotypical Latina. She grew up an upper middle class life, graduated from an Ivy League and lives a very well off life with hubby and kids.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
This is what this pandering comes down to now. Illegal immigration is now a Latino's rights issue.
They're not mine

Old 11-02-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
For so long though, Repubs have proclaimed that they see everyone as simply American and not hyphenated Americans. I just checked the mail today and found a picture of a member of my friend's family on a campaign mailer. She says "I'm Latina and I support the Republican". I always thought that the Repubs disdained "identity politics". It's funny because this woman is not the stereotypical Latina. She grew up an upper middle class life, graduated from an Ivy League and lives a very well off life with hubby and kids.
Latinos constantly self identify themselves by hyphenations.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:51 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
This myth has long been dispelled. Polls even show that Latinos don't even care for immigration as much as the two parties make them out to care. They are just like ordinary Americans. They only want jobs and food on their table. The vast majority of Latinos here are of legal status. Why should they care about amnesty? Not to mention how they are already "Americanized."

Old 11-02-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
This myth has long been dispelled. Polls even show that Latinos don't even care for immigration as much as the two parties make them out to care. They are just like ordinary Americans. They only want jobs and food on their table. The vast majority of Latinos here are of legal status. Why should they care about amnesty? Not to mention how they are already "Americanized."
I don't know what polls you are reading but the ones I have read show that the majority of Latinos have made "immigration" their top priority or at least in the top three. Just look at their many advocacy groups. The NCLR which is a major Hispanic group is in favor of amnesty for their ethnic group here illegally.

I didn't say that the majority of Latinos aren't here legally because they are. They are a group with a tribal mentality and that is why they care about amnesty. Americanized is in the eyes of the beholder. If they don't respect our immigration laws then I would say no. If they constantly choose Spanish over English then I would say no.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
The thing is the Latino vote seems to be a general vote. Outside of the immigration issue(and bilingual education) I don't know if there is anything in particular that necessarily unites Latino voters across the various nationalities that make up Latinos. Even immigration is a different issue for different Latinos. Immigration for Puert Ricans is different than what it is for Mexicans because both groups have different situations when it comes to immigration. So it will be interesting to see how the Latino vote is viewed once immigration reform is settled.
If "Hispanics" want their Spanish language so badly; they can LEAVE the US. Many Americans of "Hispanic" family DON'T want this bilingual nonsense and many DON'T want amnesty either. The Repubs would be smart in NOT "caving in" to la raza. that WILL bite them and bite them HARD. Many people seem to forget that MOST Americans are "anglo white" and MOST of us of any race DON'T want a "Quebec situation".

Old 11-02-2014, 09:13 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Oldglory knows everything about Latinos. He's right about everything. He's right about me only caring about legalizing illegal latinos, because I'm latino myself and I see it as a latino rights issue, according to him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections