Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 10:14 AM

25,040 posts, read 27,791,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
If "Hispanics" want their Spanish language so badly; they can LEAVE the US. Many Americans of "Hispanic" family DON'T want this bilingual nonsense and many DON'T want amnesty either. The Repubs would be smart in NOT "caving in" to la raza. that WILL bite them and bite them HARD. Many people seem to forget that MOST Americans are "anglo white" and MOST of us of any race DON'T want a "Quebec situation".
know that La Raza is the Hispanic equivalent of the liberals' Saul Alinsky? In other words, nobody except Glenn Beck and Limabugh fanatics know who La Raza or Alinsky are. Your average Latino doesn't know who the **** La Raza is. Y'all really need to get some hobbies

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-02-2014 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: name calling

Old 11-02-2014, 10:49 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,916,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Latinos constantly self identify themselves by hyphenations.
It's not because we WANT to hyphenize ourselves. It is the label that most of American society thrusts upon us. It's the same reason that Pres Obama is labelled a black man, although he is half white. I am anti-illegal immigration, but I want the politicians who debate illegal immigration to be sensitive. To their credit, I haven't heard too many racist outbursts.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:50 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
For so long though, Repubs have proclaimed that they see everyone as simply American and not hyphenated Americans. I just checked the mail today and found a picture of a member of my friend's family on a campaign mailer. She says "I'm Latina and I support the Republican". I always thought that the Repubs disdained "identity politics". It's funny because this woman is not the stereotypical Latina. She grew up an upper middle class life, graduated from an Ivy League and lives a very well off life with hubby and kids.
You totally missed my point: I don't know if this guy is a Republican or Democrat, he is running for city council. My objection is the statement he will work for Hispanic issues. If elected he is supposed to work for the people of his city, regardless. As for your example, what does that have to do with anything, whether she is upper middle class or from a blue collar family? She is simply saying what party she supports, that is very different from what I am talking about.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
know that La Raza is the Hispanic equivalent of the liberals' Saul Alinsky? In other words, nobody except Glenn Beck and Limabugh fanatics know who La Raza or Alinsky are. Your average Latino doesn't know who the **** La Raza is. Y'all really need to get some hobbies
Sorry, if you lived in a place like NM or AZ or Texas you would probably know exactly what La Raza is.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-02-2014 at 11:42 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You totally missed my point: I don't know if this guy is a Republican or Democrat, he is running for city council. My objection is the statement he will work for Hispanic issues. If elected he is supposed to work for the people of his city, regardless. As for your example, what does that have to do with anything, whether she is upper middle class or from a blue collar family? She is simply saying what party she supports, that is very different from what I am talking about.
You're missing what I'm saying. If she wanted to appear on the flyer, why did she find it necessary to say, "I am a Latina". That's "identity politics"- something that repub diehards have scorned for years. She could have just used her maiden name and it would have been enough. But, she had to pull that dang "race card" out. Yes, the woman is herself Mex-American, but she is a long ways off from the more common Mex-American life experience. I agree with you on what you are saying about the council candidate.
Lol- I just looked at the flyer again- it says "El es uno de nosotros" (He is one of us)- racial pandering anyone???? The repub candidate has an Anglo surname but appears to be part black or Hispanic- not sure. If he is Hispanic, wouldn't the idea of voting for someone who shares the same race/ethnicity as you be anathema to Repubs? Look how they howled when 93% of black folk voted for Obama.- oh the irony. Recently, text Gov Greg Abbotts Mexican-American mother in law pimped herself on a TV spot to say that she was Abbott's "madrina", ie, he's one of "nosotros".

Last edited by wehotex; 11-02-2014 at 11:57 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sorry, if you lived in a place like NM or AZ or Texas you would probably know exactly what La Raza is.
No, you wouldn't. Unless you listen to RWNJ radio or are a radical.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
True dat. La Raza has not been a political force in the southwest in decades. RWNJs don't understand that there were deep injustices in the southwest that brought the Raza Unida party to power in the 1960s and 70s. The formation of the party was what they had to do to get the Dem party (then the majority) to respond to the Mex-Americans' needs.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
True dat. La Raza has not been a political force in the southwest in decades. RWNJs don't understand that there were deep injustices in the southwest that brought the Raza Unida party to power in the 1960s and 70s. The formation of the party was what they had to do to get the Dem party (then the majority) to respond to the Mex-Americans' needs.
La Raza is the southwestern equivalent of the Black Panthers or New Black Panther Party. I will not take anyone seriously when they say that La Raza is a force to be reckoned with, when those people listen to the same radio sources that say the New Black Panther Party is a scary group of people with growing influence. Your average Pennsylvanian doesn't know who the NBPP are, despite the NBPP being based in Philly. Even in Philly they don't know who they are

Old 11-02-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
How do you know what those of us in NM know or I guess I should say, how do you know what most of us knew when I lived there?

Old 11-02-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
You're missing what I'm saying. If she wanted to appear on the flyer, why did she find it necessary to say, "I am a Latina". That's "identity politics"- something that repub diehards have scorned for years. She could have just used her maiden name and it would have been enough. But, she had to pull that dang "race card" out. Yes, the woman is herself Mex-American, but she is a long ways off from the more common Mex-American life experience. I agree with you on what you are saying about the council candidate.
Lol- I just looked at the flyer again- it says "El es uno de nosotros" (He is one of us)- racial pandering anyone???? The repub candidate has an Anglo surname but appears to be part black or Hispanic- not sure. If he is Hispanic, wouldn't the idea of voting for someone who shares the same race/ethnicity as you be anathema to Repubs? Look how they howled when 93% of black folk voted for Obama.- oh the irony. Recently, text Gov Greg Abbotts Mexican-American mother in law pimped herself on a TV spot to say that she was Abbott's "madrina", ie, he's one of "nosotros".
am not missing the point one bit: to say I am a particular type supporting something that most think my group does not is very different than a commercial stating: he will work for one group only or that is how it sounded. I think we will just have to agree to disagree on this. It won't be the first or last time we don't see eye to eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections