U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:46 AM

71,724 posts, read 83,345,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idkwho2vote View Post
I don't know who to vote because I have some opinions....

I don't approve abortion
Want stronger economy
Secure the border
Good education
Involved with the community
If issues 1 and 3 are really important to you it is a no brainer: Education and a strong economy are also pretty much in the R column, but both sides address the issue: What do you mean about community involvement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 01:27 PM

11,934 posts, read 5,672,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
The Texas Tribune reported that Greg Abbott was leading by 16% which I believe it was a 2% increase from the state's last elections. I guess we have to wait and see who will be victorious. I do know that more people have been participating in early elections, I believe in Tarrant Country early voting is up by 20%(?) (please correct me if I am wrong).
You are correct - the Texas Tribune definitely leans Left, but they put out great factual info. Most of the Dem's that understand Texas Politics are dead and gone. Early voting is supposed to be a good sign for Dem's in most States, but that's not the case in Texas. Tarrant County is a big "hunter" County - It's opening weekend for deer season - I know of 8 hunters on one lease that all voted early, when they don't usually bother. Wendy is not real popular with the hunting crowd.

For those of you that don't know - Texas has a very unusual Election season this year. Every single State Wide office is "open" - zero incumbents. That tends to bring out a lot of voters. The other unusual item is that there is only ONE US House race (out of 36) that is even competitive and it's down in Blue Country. There might be another 12 that are mildly competitive. One ONE State Senate Race that is competitive and it's Wendy Davis's old seat -- in Tarrant County.

Not much real polling goes on in these State Congressional races. The results in 2010 were a shock (HUGE GOP win) to almost everyone. The biggest US House Race of 2010 was in Texas - Solomon Ortiz lost the District that was created for him, that he had held for decades in the Valley (Deep Blue & Hispanic) - he lost to a fat white guy. Don't believe all they hype about "Hispanics will always vote Dem" .... it's certainly not true in Texas. In that same District - Wendy Davis lost her primary election to a guy who never had an event, never mailed out a mailer, never made a phone call. Just his name on the Ballot. The Benchmark that Democrats are looking for is 42.3% - if Wendy can get above that number - then they will count that as a 'win'. Think about that, and about how they always talk about "we are going to turn Texas Blue next election". Battleground Texas was their BIG effort and they dumped Millions and Millions of dollars into it - all run by Obama operatives that managed his campaigns.

From the Texas Tribune -
If Texas Democrats win a statewide race Tuesday night, it'll be an upset.

Thatís not to say it's impossible, but a Democratic win on the statewide executive and judicial ballot would be something akin to an August blizzard.

IF there is that 'blizzard in August' - It will be the Lt Governor's race. I voted for the Republican, but I sure didn't like him. Sometimes you have to vote for the least harmful candidate - so that's what I did and it's not the first time. No way could I accept the 2nd most radical candidate as Lt Governor , Ms Wendy is the #1 radical running - so she and Van de-Putte made a great team. Van de-Putte has a lot more support than Wendy - she is a very popular Hispanic State Senator from San Antonio.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:50 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,716,958 times
I couldn't vote for any governor candidate. We all know Abbott is going to win anyway.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:41 PM

874 posts, read 439,916 times
Abortion and border control you'll be on the Republican side. If you want a strong educational system you'll want to vote Democrat. The public educational systems are much better in the blue states so that's definitely not a Republican plus.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:15 PM

232 posts, read 289,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Abortion and border control you'll be on the Republican side. If you want a strong educational system you'll want to vote Democrat. The public educational systems are much better in the blue states so that's definitely not a Republican plus.
I am just stating this, but most of the top states for education are democrat but they also tend to have smaller populations like R.I, Mass., N.H., etc. If you go online and search up Texas' rank in education literally all data shows that Texas is average or above average when it comes to education. I don't feel like searching up the sources but just search up "states by education ranking", I believe Texas' average grade was a "-C" along with California, and I also recall on the national forums (here on the site), someone posted a scatterplot which had Texas as the outlier, the x-axis was the (# of teachers in the state) and the y-axis was the (states educational ranking) and Texas had less teachers but it was still ranked higher than California, N.Y., etc. the top states were the same ones as always... Rhode Island, Mass., N.H., pretty much every other small state...

Old 11-04-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
You might want to check that out ...... look at current stats and not stats from years ago.
Texas Education Stats are very impressive.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:55 PM

26,629 posts, read 11,160,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You might want to check that out ...... look at current stats and not stats from years ago.
You have a link to this?

Old 11-07-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You have a link to this?
I do ..... this is the article I have bookmarked, there are links back to the US Department of Education and the Texas Department of Education. I follow this stuff pretty closely and knew that the 'Texas Education Stats' that are often referred to were very outdated. Texas (like most other States) needed improvement ..... the difference here is that Texas DID improve - particularly in the area of Minority Graduation. Texas has some fairly unique education problems - one is the number of non-English speakers that flood the schools every year, these students are also often transits that move around. Then there is the problem of the Education Districts - they were set up many decades ago and don't make sense in many ways. Reading Stats, charts, comparisons can be eye crossing - this appears to me to be more about comparing Apples to Apples and not the old Apples to Oranges. Demographic numbers MATTER when looking at Graduation rates - no point in pretending they don't.

Texas Graduation Rates - 1st or 2nd in the Nation across Demographic lines

AND ...

Texas high school graduation rate sets another all-time high -Texas Education Agency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or