U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 08:05 AM

27,283 posts, read 15,762,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Problem for the GOP now is that they have to actually pass substantive legislation and show they're not just going to try repealing the ACA for the 60th time. We'll see what happens.
Agreed. There are a ton of bills they need to pass like infrastructure bills, the pipelines and small business tax breaks to name a few. I doubt tax reform and a repeal can happen.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 AM

39,213 posts, read 20,338,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 
So what. If republicans can cross party lines and get things done then that is what this country needs. But I doubt they can do that. No one in any party seems to want to compromise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Problem for the GOP now is that they have to actually pass substantive legislation and show they're not just going to try repealing the ACA for the 60th time. We'll see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I don't know why any of us are happy about dems or repubs winning. Nothing will get done because it's all about their agenda and what they can get for themselves.....power and authority. It has nothing to do with our country or any of us. Can we just get rid of all them and start over with real people and not these polished politicians. When are we going to wake up and learn.
The Obama-Reid plan was to do nothing. Over 300 bills passed by the house but Reid would not to bring up any bill to a vote unless he knew Obama would sign it. Reid was protecting Obama then projected their do-nothing policy onto Republicans. As we know, not being able to see past the rhetoric, Obama's base bought it. Obama used his veto pen only twice.

President | number of veto's

Barack H. Obama - 2
George W. Bush - 12
William J. Clinton - 36
George H. W. Bush - 29
Ronald Reagan - 39
Jimmy Carter - 13
Gerald R. Ford - 48
Richard M. Nixon - 26
Lyndon B. Johnson - 16
John F. Kennedy - 12
Dwight D. Eisenhower - 73
Harry S. Truman - 180
Franklin D. Roosevelt - 372
Herbert Hoover - 21

Old 11-05-2014, 08:58 AM

14,724 posts, read 10,616,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The Obama-Reid plan was to do nothing. Over 300 bills passed by the house but Reid would not to bring up any bill to a vote unless he knew Obama would sign it. Reid was protecting Obama then projected their do-nothing policy onto Republicans. As we know, not being able to see past the rhetoric, Obama's base bought it. Obama used his veto pen only twice.

Barack H. Obama - 2
George W. Bush - 12
William J. Clinton - 36
George H. W. Bush - 29
Ronald Reagan - 39
Jimmy Carter - 13
Gerald R. Ford - 48
Richard M. Nixon - 26
Lyndon B. Johnson - 16
John F. Kennedy - 12
Harry S. Truman - 180
Herbert Hoover - 21
When you consider that 7 of the other ones you listed served under six years it is even more telling.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 19,087,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Pleased to see Susana Martinez win governor in New Mexico again.
Me, too! She's great.

Too bad Udall won again.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:15 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,577,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Me, too! She's great.

Too bad Udall won again.
Look out for her as a potential running mate.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:19 AM

9,191 posts, read 19,087,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Look out for her as a potential running mate.
That would be fantastic.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:22 AM

31,971 posts, read 36,604,313 times
Can we now cut off Sandra Flukes birth control ? (as if she needed it )

Old 11-05-2014, 10:25 AM

10,653 posts, read 9,034,843 times
Watching the talking heads on the various channels, a few things stuck out. First, they believe - strongly - that Obama will still use Executive Power to 'govern', including for amnesty and climate change. I think this would be a mistake of epic proportions for him to do so. Might as well sink the rest of the Democrats chances in either the White House or Congress if he does this. Does anyone think he would really do it? I have hard time believing anyone could be so bone headed.

The other thing I've noticed is how much the talking heads have changed how they talk about certain people. McConnell, for example, is now being portrayed as the ultimate statesman, the wheeler and dealer, and utterly reasonable by the various news channels (yes - even MSNBC). Let's just say THIS is a departure. Before this election, they generally referred to McConnell as an obstructionist, clueless, and any number of derogatory things. Hmm. Let's just say that I do not buy they have suddenly changed their opinion and think, instead, they are either worried about ratings or trying to paint the GOP into a corner before the new Congress has even sat.

All in all, good news for the GOP last night. Voters are sick and tired of 'wedge issues' derailing elections and rejected the Democrats on them time and again. About time. In the past, when the GOP would argue on those wedge issues, I would lose it. They were designed and meant to derail the campaigns and the GOP fell into that trap every time. I am glad to see they learned their lesson.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:32 AM

8,085 posts, read 4,416,691 times
I am sure the more creative progs among us, will come with a good explanation for the dearth of Obama vetoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

Barack H. Obama - 2
George W. Bush - 12
William J. Clinton - 36
George H. W. Bush - 29
Ronald Reagan - 39
Jimmy Carter - 13
Gerald R. Ford - 48
Richard M. Nixon - 26
Lyndon B. Johnson - 16
John F. Kennedy - 12
Harry S. Truman - 180
Herbert Hoover - 21

Old 11-05-2014, 10:37 AM

8,085 posts, read 4,416,691 times
Hey, there were many legacies who went down in defeat last night, Carter (Gov in GA), Nunn (Senate in GA), good old Mo, Lundgren Grimes (Sen in KY). May have been more. You are right though. We could have used one more.

Seemed to be the year of the legacy candidates for the Dems. Guess, there were no other takers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Me, too! She's great.

Too bad Udall won again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or