U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 07:58 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,070,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
You may be right about gay marriage, but please show me some data on abortion. Millennials are more pro-life than voters in the 30-65 age range
Generational Differences on Abortion Narrow

This is 4 years old but, as you can see from the trend line in the data I linked to, we can be certain that hasn't changed. I will try to find some of the more recent data I've seen, but t says the same thing
75% of Millennials are pro choice

75% Of Millennials Are Pro Choice, And 65% Are Pro-Life. Wait. What? - Mic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 10:50 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,464,515 times
How would you revamp the current platforms of the two parties?

I would require any political party to rework its platform to fit a template based on libertarian values.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:58 AM

71,750 posts, read 83,387,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The left vs right paradigm is getting outdated and tired. I think both parties need to upgrade their platforms to excite new and young voters. Democrats have already won the gay marriage and health care debate. Republicans lost the fiscal debate decades ago. It's time for them to get back to the drawing board. What would you include in them if you had the opportunity to pitch ideas?
I don't think many people really pay a lot of attention to the platforms period. Most do not even know wat they are or who determines what are in them.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:15 AM

66,329 posts, read 33,652,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
How would you revamp the current platforms of the two parties

If an idea restricts even one persons liberty, it is a bad idea.
Dig into all the laws and legislation and make freedom the #1 priority.
Eliminating any & all laws and regulations, that take our freedom.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:29 PM

3,987 posts, read 8,613,770 times
A big part of our problem is that people are voting by party and not by candidate.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:15 PM

36,617 posts, read 16,016,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Whoever is brave enough to pass Comprehensive Immigration Reform, with a pathway (long-term) to citizenship, will have changed the landscape in their favor for many generations to come.

The status quo is going to keep status quo results; GOP House by a small margin, Senate flipping between being majority Dems 2/3rd of the time, 1/3rd of the time GOP, and POTUS virtually a Democratic lock.

Both parties fear being adventurous, but whomever is, via passing Immigration Reform, will be richly rewarded.
"There is NO interest like SELF interest."

Old 11-05-2014, 01:19 PM

36,617 posts, read 16,016,925 times
Quote:
The Dems will take the Senate in 2016; the map is dreadful for the GOP. Every 2016 state "up for grabs" has been solid Blue (POTUS) long-term by big margins. Its precisely the inverse of 2014.

I do think few pols have the guts to tackle this issue, though, and that is pathetic.

The House will stay GOP, at minimum, until the next census results.

POTUS: Forget about it, as long as the Blue Wall is ignored by the GOP, they will sweep in even the least electable Dems.
"as long as the Blue Wall is ignored by the GOP"

Last nights election say differntly. "Blue" states voted for REPUBS as Govs., Senators ans local legislatures.

I am NOT surprised you are out of touch with reality.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:31 AM

6,968 posts, read 2,487,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"as long as the Blue Wall is ignored by the GOP"

Last nights election say differntly. "Blue" states voted for REPUBS as Govs., Senators ans local legislatures.

I am NOT surprised you are out of touch with reality.
The voters showing up in off-year Congressional elections are older and whiter than voters in Presidential years. That's why Republicans are typically more successful in off-year elections. On Tuesday, 75% of voters were white, more than those that voted in either 2008 or 2012. But there is absolutely no chance of that same electorate showing up in the Presidential Election of 2016.

Here are the white percentages of voters in the past 6 presidential elections;

1992- 87%
1996- 83%
2000- 81%
2004- 77%
2008- 74%
2012- 72%

You notice that the white percentage of voters has fallen 15% in 20 years for an average drop of 2.5% per four year presidential year cycle. The anticipated rate of white participation for 2016 is about 70%, or 2% less white than in the 2012 presidential election, and 5% less white than what occurred in Tuesday's election.

The white percentage of the off-year electorate is higher, because older whites are more dependable voters, but the white rates for off-year elections are falling also, falling 11% in 20 years, or 1.8% per cycle. Listed below are the percentages of white voters for the last 6 off-year congressional elections.

1994- 86%
1998- 83%
2002- 81%
2006- 79%
2010- 77%
2014- 75%

The off-year rates are about 2 election cycles behind the presidential election years, but both are heading in the same direction, making it increasingly difficult for a party historically getting close to 90% of its total vote from white voters.

This was a very strong year for Republicans. It may be a harbinger of a Republican sweep in 2016, or have as much affect on the 2016 election as the 2010 election predicted 2012. Until proven otherwise, Bob's comments on the Blue Wall are spot on, because there is no certitude that a state electing a Republican governor or senator in 2014 will vote Republican in 2016. Many of those blue states have elected Republican governors while voting blue for 20 straight years.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 11-06-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 09:13 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,035,398 times
Bingo, Bureaucat. Solid Blue Ct has had Republican governors for 20 years before Malloy broke the streak, which means 4 straight POTUS elections featured Ct voting Blue, while the sitting governor was Republican. NJ with Chris Christie is a Blue Wall POTUS state. NY, with previous Governor Pataki, was a Blue Wall state.

The evidence needed to break the logic of the Blue Wall is simple: POTUS GOP victories. Not off year election trash talk.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:23 PM

12,639 posts, read 7,299,380 times
Quote:
Bingo, Bureaucat. Solid Blue Ct has had Republican governors for 20 years before Malloy broke the streak, which means 4 straight POTUS elections featured Ct voting Blue, while the sitting governor was Republican. NJ with Chris Christie is a Blue Wall POTUS state. NY, with previous Governor Pataki, was a Blue Wall state.

The evidence needed to break the logic of the Blue Wall is simple: POTUS GOP victories. Not off year election trash talk.
Still smarting after the lib aasz-whipping I see. We'll see how the "blue wall" holds up without Obama running. I am gonna guess not so good.

By the way, what happened to the "blue wall" in Maryland and Illinois?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or