U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:36 AM

8,031 posts, read 7,615,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Not that I'm taking offense, Matt. I supported Greg Abbott, but from my experience, Austin isn't full of idiots and burn outs. I've lived in a lot of different locales and the nicest people I've ever met and have been neighbors with are right here despite political differences.
Agreed.
We do lack some in diversity though... racially, culturally, and politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:41 AM

31,759 posts, read 36,438,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Agreed.
Austin has always been the college liberal, hippie, govt employee type town from the 60's & 70's and just evolved from there.

Austin is a great city. Just different.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:52 AM

6,777 posts, read 2,491,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I posted this quote on another thread:

The Texas Democratic Party has just sat back over the past decade and just smugly puffed on a metaphorical cigar and said one word: "demographics." They have said for years and years that it was inevitable that they would gain power as more Hispanics move to Texas and gain the franchise, as though Hispanics are divinely preordained to vote Democratic for some reason.

"Demographics." So that absolves the Texas Democratic Party of any obligation to organize or identify and recruit decent candidates. It means the Texas Democratic Party doesn't have to coordinate with its county parties, a few of which are wildly successful. And, most importantly, it means that they can completely ignore white men (and, to a large extent, white married women). Because, demographics!

Well, well--how is that working out? Davis lost women, and only carried Hispanics 55-44. But, demographics!

Wendy Davis and Battleground Texas have set the Texas Democratic Party back two decades. They're back to their performance when they were led by someone named Gary Mauro against George W. Bush. And that right there shows the failure of "because, demographics!". Notwithstanding the demographic shift in Texas over the last 16 years--and there has been one--Republicans are doing every bit as well today as they did at the height of their power under George W. Bush. The Democrats have wasted a decade in which they should have been in the ascent in this state, because they have acted as though the ascent was inevitable.

It wasn't.

The democrats outside Texas do not understand this great state. That they thought they had a rising megastar in Wendy Davis because she filibustered against late term abortions for 13 hours shows you how out of touch they are with the people.

Now the one to watch is the new Lt. Governor Dan Patrick, a certified nutcase.
Great analysis.

I would only add that the slap down of Wendy Davis not only overestimates "because, demographics!" laziness, it also shows that the "war on women" nonsense has lost it's power. Davis lost women by 9 points yesterday. Apparently, women in Texas need more bona fides from a candidate besides a) is female and b) filibustered abortion wearing sneakers. I guess women vote according to other criteria besides their lady parts. Udall ran a similarly "obnoxious, single issue campaign" (using the Denver Post's words in their Gardner endorsement) that patronized women voters in the most transparent and vulgar manner, and he wound up sucking on defeat as well.

Conservative women did great yesterday. All over the country, they did way better than liberal women. And of the 9 states that Hillary and Bill played their war on women nonsense, only 2 went Democrat.

Yesterday, women all across America proved that they think about a lot more than taxpayer funded abortion and contraception. Even Sandra Fluke, darling of the liberal feminazi matriarchy, lost quite handily in her attempt at a CA state senate seat.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:53 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,050,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Republican extremism. hmm

More like a town voting for hope and change that never happened and yet they keep trying. A town of gullible college kids who want to do the popular thing and follow like sheep..

Austin will wake up one day, maybe..
^ This

Hell even once Liberal Harris County & Houston went red.

Bye, bye Parker & Davis! Maybe Austin or California (where you raised your campaign money) will take you now...then again maybe not because you are a turn coat Republican turned Democrat.

Parker, along with Davis & Obama are damaged goods. Trash was taken out last night in a landslide GOP victory that swept a Tsunami of Red across Texas & America.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:02 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,050,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Abbott got 43% of the Hispanic vote. Just shows that the Hispanics can't be corralled into voting straight party D like they did to the Blacks.
Abbott also got 52% of the women's votes.

The Blacks followed their party..93% voted for Wendy.

Austin election results: Texas governor's race | www.statesman.com
OMG seriously?!?

Wow...just wow.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:13 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,326,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Agreed.
Because Austin has become gentrified by wealthy liberals.
You see all the affordability issues.

Austin is turning into another elite city for the wealthy to live and play.
RIP Austin. I moved away in 2010. I had lived there for over 15 years and in that time my property taxes tripled from $2K to near $7K. I now pay $2K again with even more acreage.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:44 PM

232 posts, read 289,328 times
I'm surprised that Bexar and Harris country voted red this time. The whole country got swept by the "red wave", according to most news articles (msn, NYT, T.T., etc.) the major factor in the "red wave" was Obama, literally every article claims that republicans (obviously) disliked Obama's policies and they also stated that most Democrats tried to depart away from Obama but that didn't stop people from switching sides. I don't know, I am still trying to process some states deciding to vote republican even if they've bled blue for a long time (Illinois, Maryland, Mass.)

Well then, I hope the republicans actually do something productive for the country since they now control both the senate and house. One thing is that the republicans have more eyes on them now, and if they mess up their chance, then expect a blue wave next year (My predictions are that the U.S.A. will be the following in the next who knows how many years... Republican, Democrat, Republican, Democrat, Republican... D, R, D, R, D, R...D....) That's if none of the parties do something productive while they have a chance. Even though I lean conservative, if the republicans do mess up, more than likely I'll vote for democrats next time, and if they mess up I'll vote republican... (You see the pattern, right?)

Old 11-05-2014, 08:34 PM

11,926 posts, read 5,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
^ This

Hell even once Liberal Harris County & Houston went red.

Bye, bye Parker & Davis! Maybe Austin or California (where you raised your campaign money) will take you now...then again maybe not because you are a turn coat Republican turned Democrat.

Parker, along with Davis & Obama are damaged goods. Trash was taken out last night in a landslide GOP victory that swept a Tsunami of Red across Texas & America.
Harris County is far from "Red" ..... Wendy Davis was a horrible candidate. LIES just don't cut it in Texas. A woman who dumps her children on a Step Father doesn't play well in Texas.

I don't care what anyone thinks about Texas, but 'victimhood' is not a popular concept in this State.
Those that were Wendy Fanatics/Puppets are totally out of step with this State.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:30 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,432,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Harris County is far from "Red" ..... Wendy Davis was a horrible candidate. LIES just don't cut it in Texas. A woman who dumps her children on a Step Father doesn't play well in Texas.

I don't care what anyone thinks about Texas, but 'victimhood' is not a popular concept in this State.
Those that were Wendy Fanatics/Puppets are totally out of step with this State.
I knew that Wendy would be beat very soundly. You have to wonder about a woman who had not only one, but TWO abortions!!!! That speaks to poor judgment and low morals. They'll just have to field a better Dem candidate next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or