Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:21 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,710,037 times

Advertisements

I have been thinking about Hillary Clinton this week, and my general impression is mid-level manager/ bureaucrat. She is competent, smart, and organized, and she has paid her dues. But no one is going to confuse her for a visionary or an inspirational leader. The dems have tried putting up boring, but otherwise solid people before. Carter, Mondale, Gore, Kerry...none of them ever caught fire, except Carter, and he was blown out of the water by a charismatic leader (Reagan).

I predict people will go with Hillary, and she will suffer the same fate.

Nominating her would be a huge mistake, IMO.

By the way, I am looking forward to a woman president, but I don't think she is the one. I predict that historical event will come from the GOP side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 09:46 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,403,457 times
I completely agree with you that she's a bureaucrat with little to no charisma and far from a visionary.

Unfortunately, I don't agree with your predictions about her success in the election.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,286,911 times
I see her as more of an operator along the lines of an LBJ or a Nixon.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:14 AM

37,748 posts, read 40,820,430 times
It doesn't matter. People don't seem to vote based on anyone's record or experience anymore. They vote based on what they look like, what promises come out of the lying liars mouth when they campaign or what they put in their TV ads.

And what career do you think of, where people make a living bullsh*tting and obfuscating besides used car dealers and politicians? Lawyers.

Why is Hillary Clinton even being considered for the job? What has she accomplished ever? She was a wife, a lawyer and she ran the State Department. Did she do any of them well? It isn't just her, either. At least she has some experience running something although I'm not sure any Secretary of State spends a lot of time actually running the State Department.

What makes a Senator or Representative, who may have had a job as a lawyer at one time, think they're qualified to be President? Can you point to a couple of Senator/Lawyer skills that spell executive/management experience that makes them qualified to run something like a country? Besides lying. Yet, there are Republicans who think Paul Ryan, for example, would make a good President. They call him a budget guy but has he ever actually executed a big one? I don't think so. Dealt with problems related to the budget he has to work from? Not that I can see. Made any big decisions regarding a crisis of any kind where people's lives or livelihood are on the line? Nope. Dealt with the ramifications of any law he's ever voted for? Can't see it from my house.

There are people in the US Senate and House of Representatives that have resumes showing they have spent their entire life avoiding having to run any kind of operation. Besides ego, where do they get off thinking they're qualified to be President? Some of you are probably more qualified than they are.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:51 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
Lets face it, all she has going for her is: her husband's popularity, name recognition and she is a female. Those who remember her last attempt and are Democrats should wonder, can she take the heat again? She melted down in 2008 more than once and is 8 years older now. But for those who are sold on electing a women, she is the best they can come up with at this time and might just be able to pull it off. I agree wiht the poster, but I am not so niave to think she can not win this time around.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Lets face it, all she has going for her is: her husband's popularity, name recognition and she is a female. Those who remember her last attempt and are Democrats should wonder, can she take the heat again? She melted down in 2008 more than once and is 8 years older now. But for those who are sold on electing a women, she is the best they can come up with at this time and might just be able to pull it off. I agree wiht the poster, but I am not so niave to think she can not win this time around.

I agree with the bolded. I don't get why folks cannot do a little digging and find some new talent?!!! She had her shot in 2008.

I am hoping Jim Webb's candidacy will get traction. He seems worthy and brings a new perspective.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:06 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,226,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I agree with the bolded. I don't get why folks cannot do a little digging and find some new talent?!!! She had her shot in 2008.

I am hoping Jim Webb's candidacy will get traction. He seems worthy and brings a new perspective.
Me too and if not, let's find a new Republican that can attract across the aisle and still be conservative. If anyone watched McLaughlin group last week they would see how some are prdicting 2016. In fact John made the comment, the young and even the minorities are not a given for the Dems, same with the women. One panelist said "upcoming stars: Susanne Martinez. I thought that was interesting. Remmber McLaughlin isn't on a conservative network, in fact it is on PBS and certainly doesn't right.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:14 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,029,958 times
Most real change comes from conservative minds. Conservatives think things through, considering all angles. Lots of disasters occur otherwise. Emotions and feeling are never the best way to make decisions.

Quote:
I have been thinking about Hillary Clinton this week, and my general impression is mid-level manager/ bureaucrat. She is competent, smart, and organized, and she has paid her dues. But no one is going to confuse her for a visionary or an inspirational leader. The dems have tried putting up boring, but otherwise solid people before. Carter, Mondale, Gore, Kerry...none of them ever caught fire, except Carter, and he was blown out of the water by a charismatic leader (Reagan).

I predict people will go with Hillary, and she will suffer the same fate.

Nominating her would be a huge mistake, IMO.

By the way, I am looking forward to a woman president, but I don't think she is the one. I predict that historical event will come from the GOP side.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:49 AM

803 posts, read 1,661,797 times
Quote:
Doubtful. The GOP has a long ways to go.

The Republican Rape Advisory Chart

Old 01-05-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASOT View Post
Doubtful. The GOP has a long ways to go.

I don't see how quoting e few GOP crazies means the GOP will never field a moderate woman.

If Libby Dole wanted to run, she would be appealing-though probably way too old, and I think Susana Martinez would also be a possibility, or Carly Fiorina. I am not sure I would vote for any of them, but I don't think any of them would go for this rape stuff. The question is whether the GOP would nominate a moderate woman over someone like Bachmann or Palin. The party has lurched right, so it is hard to know.

Martinez seems like she could be a lightweight, but if she made it into a debate with Clinton and survived, that image would rise or fall.

In any case, it is largely about demographics. The first woman president has to get women, minorities, and a sizable share of white men. I see Clinton failing with the last group. A moderate republican might do better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections