Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 12:37 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,797,751 times

Advertisements

OP, the Clintons AND President Obama all showed up to stump for Tom Wolf (D-PA), and he won by a landslide. How do you justify that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 12:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, the Clintons AND President Obama all showed up to stump for Tom Wolf (D-PA), and he won by a landslide. How do you justify that?
Means nothing...America is solid red now, thank God.

Obama is a hogtied donkey after last night with his head barely above water. We'll dunk him under soon though with impeachment proceedings, that is, if he doesn't resign today.

Go take a walk in the park, take a breather of relief, & enjoy the Fall of the leaves & Democratic party as we know it. I know you need it.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,148,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
He was going to win anyway. Barack does not like to work hard for something that does not benefit himself. It is not part of his culture.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:15 PM

5,230 posts, read 6,147,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Means nothing...America is solid red now, thank God.

Obama is a hogtied donkey after last night with his head barely above water. We'll dunk him under soon though with impeachment proceedings, that is, if he doesn't resign today.

Go take a walk in the park, take a breather of relief, & enjoy the Fall of the leaves & Democratic party as we know it. I know you need it.
I can think of no quicker way to make people stop disliking Obama than to start impeachment proceedings. It would also blow the entire 'end gridlock' theme out of the water. And doom Ayotte/Toomey/Johnson/Kirk/Portman during reelection.

And besides- WTF wants Joe Biden to be President?

That said I'll bet $5 on Issa being the one to lead the charge and Cruz championing impeachment in the Senate.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:22 PM

58,421 posts, read 26,762,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
While no fan of Ms. Clinton (carpetbagging former Senator from New York), this article gives me pause about her chances in 2016 (or, really, any Democratic nominee):

18 states have voted Democratic in six consecutive elections with 242 electoral votes, George Will says | PunditFact

The thrust of Mr. Will's observation is that there are 18 states (plus DC) that have gone for the Democratic nominee in six consecutive presidential elections. From the link:

"Those 18 states, which include New Jersey by the way, have 242 electoral votes. If the Democratic presidential nominee can assume those states, he or she will spend the autumn of 2016 looking for 28 electoral votes, and he or she will find them."

Time will tell.
" George Will on Sunday, November 10th, 2013 in comments on Fox's "Fox News Sunday"

A year old statement.

Please list the states.

I wonder how many of those 18 states elected a repub governor or Senator or local state representatives. this election.

MD, being glowing blue in the past and I'd bet one of those 18, elected a REPUB gov. AND enough local repubs to take away the veto proof position the dems had held.

A lot has happened since Will made that statement.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
While it was a bad night for the Dems, and those Hillary campaigned with I think you need to be careful before reading too much into it for 2016. More and more we are seeing a very different electorate between Mid Terms and Presidential races. The midterms for the 2nd time in a row was even with Democrats and Republicans 35-35 in 2010 and 36-36 this year. Meanwhile Presidential Turnout has been around Dems +6 - Dems +7.

In 2012 many Republicans didn't think the turnout would match 2008, they were wrong and got burned. This year many Democrats (myself included) didn't think turnout would match 2010, we were wrong and got burned.
NC had a historical HIGH turnout for this election.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:43 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,935,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" George Will on Sunday, November 10th, 2013 in comments on Fox's "Fox News Sunday"

A year old statement.

Please list the states.

I wonder how many of those 18 states elected a repub governor or Senator or local state representatives. this election.

MD, being glowing blue in the past and I'd bet one of those 18, elected a REPUB gov. AND enough local repubs to take away the veto proof position the dems had held.

A lot has happened since Will made that statement.
Well, the link lists the states.

I realize Mr. Will said such in 2013, but there have been no presidential elections since that time, so to date his facts stand.

Here is another link, from August 2013, in which the writer makes the same point:

Can a Republican Win 270 Electoral Votes in 2016...or Ever? - The Daily Beast#

One more:

Larry J. Sabato's Crystal Ball » REPUBLICAN ELECTORAL COLLEGE PLAN WOULD UNDERMINE DEMOCRACY

Since you want recent links, this one is from this morning:

How Hillary Clinton won the 2014 midterms

Old 11-05-2014, 03:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,272,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I can think of no quicker way to make people stop disliking Obama than to start impeachment proceedings. It would also blow the entire 'end gridlock' theme out of the water. And doom Ayotte/Toomey/Johnson/Kirk/Portman during reelection.

And besides- WTF wants Joe Biden to be President?

That said I'll bet $5 on Issa being the one to lead the charge and Cruz championing impeachment in the Senate.

I would take that bet; it is not going to happen. Impeachment at the POTUS level is a legal solution to a political problem. I doubt that I will see it again in my lifetime. Nobody is that stupid.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:22 PM

601 posts, read 457,008 times
After the red wave of 2010, the Republicans thought the White House would be easy pickings in 2012. A lot can happen between now and the next election. This Democrat isn't worried, not in the least.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, the link lists the states.

I realize Mr. Will said such in 2013, but there have been no presidential elections since that time, so to date his facts stand.

Here is another link, from August 2013, in which the writer makes the same point:

Can a Republican Win 270 Electoral Votes in 2016...or Ever? - The Daily Beast#

One more:

Larry J. Sabato's Crystal Ball » REPUBLICAN ELECTORAL COLLEGE PLAN WOULD UNDERMINE DEMOCRACY

Since you want recent links, this one is from this morning:

How Hillary Clinton won the 2014 midterms
Who cares what ANYONE said a year ago?

What you WON'T admit, is that the dem took a shellacking, PERIOD.

Which PROVES it makes NO sense to listen to ANY "predictors" before an election and cetainly NOT a year out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections