Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:38 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
False hope is rampant on the right! But it was lowest voter turnout since 1942 - when millions were away at war. An electorate that was older and whiter and more male than the one we see in the general elections. I don't see much here that portends how 2016 will go. Hillary Clinton will cruise to victory with huge majorities of women, blacks, Hispanics, and youth, and could take the House and Senate with her on her skirt tails.
I wish liberals would see that a low voter turnout is in fact also a "vote". By staying home, Dems rejected the Dem candidates. It's just as telling as pressing the lever for the GOP.

You only have to look at every map that shows Senators, Congressmen and Governors, and the sea of red should show you how 2016 will go.

FYI - women HATE Hillary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 10:03 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I wish liberals would see that a low voter turnout is in fact also a "vote". By staying home, Dems rejected the Dem candidates. It's just as telling as pressing the lever for the GOP.

You only have to look at every map that shows Senators, Congressmen and Governors, and the sea of red should show you how 2016 will go.

Very true, as a "liberal" I think the biggest item being voted on was Obama... His only accomplishments in office have been..

1.) Affordable Care Act "obamacare" I for one didn't think this didn't go far enough and we need single payer coverage similar to France and the UK....

He will be known for this and he shot his whole 8 year political wad to get this passed.

2.) Ending the overseas adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan...

a.) Iraq well we are out but still have over 5000 military and civilian military contractors at the worlds largest embassy.
b.) Afghanistan... 6 years later and we are still there, even though combat operations "have ended".

The affordable care act has been his only significant thing to date. Hard to see him accomplishing anything more in 2 more years.

So while I Republicans came claim this as a victory to me it is more of Obama being a huge failure in office. If Obama would have run as a republican his policies favoring businesses wouldn't change one bit.

As a liberal I would love to see Elizabeth Warren run but don't think she can beat Hillary who might get 60% of the popular vote in the next election.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:03 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Pretty much the exact same thing happened in 2010, and then 2012 happened. We have always had a bit of a different electorate between a Midterm and Presidential year, it appears that the difference in the electorate has become even more stark over the last few cycles.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:45 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" George Will on Sunday, November 10th, 2013 in comments on Fox's "Fox News Sunday"

A year old statement.

Please list the states.

I wonder how many of those 18 states elected a repub governor or Senator or local state representatives. this election.

MD, being glowing blue in the past and I'd bet one of those 18, elected a REPUB gov. AND enough local repubs to take away the veto proof position the dems had held.

A lot has happened since Will made that statement.

Well don't be getting all giddy over that. Brown took maryland for granted thinking that because he was a democrat he would win. He did nothing to promote himself. he felt entitled. No one likes being taken for granted. So out he went.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:47 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Yeah I could see the hysteria of the base summoning the war drums for Warren to run should Clinton give any hint that she has no intention of following through However, I'm betting that she will decline and do a 'Christie' and a Jeb' and sit this one out for the next round like they did in 2012.

So who's left? (No pun intended) O'Malley? Poppa Joe may throw in his hat given his age, his association with the current administration with a 'nothin to lose at this point' perspective. I don't see Cuomo leaving after his winning in NYS...so who else is there?
O'Malley can not win with his tax record. 40 Tax increases under him in MD. Even the Democrats aren't that stupid enough to nominate him.

Maryland Shocker: Republican Hogan Beats O

"From 2007 to 2018, Marylander’s will have paid nearly $20 billion in additional taxes and fees stemming from 40 separate O’Malley-Brown increases – an amount which is over and above the tax burden as it existed before 2007 and assumes no additional levies are enacted."

40 O

Old 11-09-2014, 09:38 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Agreed. Hope the Dems choose someone better!
Agreed! I really don't get her popularity, and I'm a Dem.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:40 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,520,074 times
People don't like her, they never did. She'll never be president in spite of the masturbatory fantasies of the left.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:51 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Hillary is not Bill Clinton. Unlike her husband who is easy to like and who comes across well to the common man. Hillary is abrasive at best. Many of us see her for who and what she is. She clings to her husband's legacy and rides his coat tails. She is empty of substance that is her own. Her record as Secretary of State is nothing to brag about. Her record as a Senator likewise is nothing to brag about, not unlike Obama's. Unlike Obama or her husband she she has no personality. Too me comes across as an angry, bitter person who also happens to lie an a lot.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well don't be getting all giddy over that. Brown took maryland for granted thinking that because he was a democrat he would win. He did nothing to promote himself. he felt entitled. No one likes being taken for granted. So out he went.
I think there was a little more to the election than you are thinking. You do not want to think the Republicans could be gaining supporters so you simplify what happened in MD. If that was the only true surprise you might have grounds to stand on, but look at all the surprises. Even VA, wow, what a shocker that was even though the Dems didn't lose. Colorado was the same, Udall's just do not get beat. They have been a household name in the rockie mountain and so west for generations.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:57 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Candidates she actively campaigned for:

New Hampshire - Win
Iowa - Lost
Kansas - Lost
Arkansas - Lost
Kentucky - Lost
North Carolina - Lost
South Carolina - Lost
Georgia - Lost
Texas (Davis) - Lost
Colorado - Lost
West Virginia - Lost
Louisiana - Run off as 2nd place - likely to lose.

What chance????? She put here eggs in the Obama Basket and all of them are rotten now. She would of been better to go into private life planning for the next run in 2014. She could of took the nomination away from Obama. Now Obama is second term President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections