U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 01:44 PM

71,750 posts, read 83,387,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yes. As one other poster mentioned, his bull-in-a-china closet might be refreshing to some--but way too much for others.

Having been a governor is better experience for the presidency than quite a few other things, though.
I have always preferred the Pres to have experience as governor, but sometimes this isn't possible. In 2016 who knows, think the best possible candidates happen to be senators this time around. We will see, the next 6 months will start bring them out in the open and we will be able to see who is serious about seeking the nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
If she ran for POTUS I would vote for her..I can't think of anyone else in the GOP that would be anywhere near as good as her..I can only think of one dem I would vote for against her and that would be Webb and his chances are zero of getting a nod from the DNC anyway...I think Martinez would have a hard time getting the nod from the GOP..she has to much sense for them.
what a stupid statement that is. Being biased in one thing and we are to a degree, but just to a comment like that proves nothing!!!! Geeze!!!!

Old 11-07-2014, 04:53 PM

9,191 posts, read 19,064,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have always preferred the Pres to have experience as governor, but sometimes this isn't possible. In 2016 who knows, think the best possible candidates happen to be senators this time around. We will see, the next 6 months will start bring them out in the open and we will be able to see who is serious about seeking the nomination.
I certainly hope they can bring out some reasonable ones--and that doesn't mean Perry OR Ted Cruz.

I like Cruz fine, but he's way too far right for nationwide.

We need someone who is balanced, non-polarizing and who can work across the aisle.

Both Bushes and Reagan were all able to do that. Reagan was far right, but he had the charm and will to be able to win two elections in landslides.

Both Bushes were more centrist.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:07 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,159,891 times
my pick...
http://drosheim.files.wordpress.com/...4/img_6734.jpg

Old 11-07-2014, 05:44 PM

976 posts, read 616,550 times
Default It's going to be John Thune

Middle-aged, handsome, safe, not exciting but not embarrasing, helps in the Midwest.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:23 PM

13,005 posts, read 15,346,756 times
I really really really really really wish Condi Rice would run.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:57 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,239,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I really really really really really wish Condi Rice would run.
I had a Condi '08 bumper sticker on my car about 2007 or so, but it was not to be. It's pretty apparent that she had an aversion to the process of fundraising, the anal exam, and everything else that goes along w/ running a campaign. I can't blame her for that.

Her pro choice stance would have been a hurdle in a GOP primary, but I think she could have been the one person to leap over that. Everyone loves her save for the far left, and she would have made a fine POTUS. The thing that will always endear me to Condi Rice is her comment that she was a Second Amendment 'absolutist.'

Old 11-08-2014, 02:24 AM

21,308 posts, read 14,299,011 times
Quote:
I think we all need to pray for this and pray again and again. What a great addition to any ticket. I know people say she is responsible for a disabled sibling but maybe she can work around that somehow.
Work around it? I think it would be to her advantage to make the most of it in a proper way. Being a caretaker is not a disadvantage at all these days.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I certainly hope they can bring out some reasonable ones--and that doesn't mean Perry OR Ted Cruz.

I like Cruz fine, but he's way too far right for nationwide.

We need someone who is balanced, non-polarizing and who can work across the aisle.

Both Bushes and Reagan were all able to do that. Reagan was far right, but he had the charm and will to be able to win two elections in landslides.

Both Bushes were more centrist.
Yesterday our local congressman was on a radio talk show taking questions: he made some really good points: things we all need to think about seriously: 1-he said he wasn't against the T party for instance, in fact he says he supports some of their ideas or most, but they way they present things (in your face) turns people off. He mentioned balancing the budget: yes, it needs to be balanced, our own state has a balance budget, but he also explained this will take years. To do so, in just one year would put people on SS and medicare on welfare. He mentioned term limits, pointing out, he isn't opposed to them, but said, remember how hard it is to get an amendment through. As he said, all our years of being a country and we only have about 2 doz amendments. These are issues we need to think about when we start considering who would make a good GOP candidate in 2 years.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:27 AM

9,191 posts, read 19,064,392 times
Quote:
Yesterday our local congressman was on a radio talk show taking questions: he made some really good points: things we all need to think about seriously: 1-he said he wasn't against the T party for instance, in fact he says he supports some of their ideas or most, but they way they present things (in your face) turns people off. He mentioned balancing the budget: yes, it needs to be balanced, our own state has a balance budget, but he also explained this will take years. To do so, in just one year would put people on SS and medicare on welfare. He mentioned term limits, pointing out, he isn't opposed to them, but said, remember how hard it is to get an amendment through. As he said, all our years of being a country and we only have about 2 doz amendments. These are issues we need to think about when we start considering who would make a good GOP candidate in 2 years.
They are going to have to do something different for sure. So I guess we'll see.

Nobody likes strident, screaming politicians from either side. I generally cannot stand the left--but I don't like the hardcore extreme Christian right in-your-face stuff, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or