Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 01:50 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

In hindsight, Rand Paul made a very very smart decision to go all out to back now new Senate Majority Leader McConnell. Look what McConnell is saying now about him:

“Obviously, I’m a big supporter of Rand Paul. We’ve developed a very tight relationship, and I’m for him.”
For president? “Whatever he decides to do,” McConnell said. “I don’t think he’s made a final decision on that. But he’ll be able to count on me.”

McConnell: I'll Back a Rand Paul Presidential Bid | National Review Online

"Paul was a key backer of McConnell's in his reelection campaign. He endorsed the GOP leader early, when the threat of a strong tea party challenger was looming. Jesse Benton, a top Paul ally, ran McConnell's campaign for much of the 2014 election cycle."

McConnell: Rand Paul can ‘count on me’ if he runs for president - The Washington Post

Smart move by Paul? Looks a lot different, now, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 02:17 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
it was a smart move for Paul win or lose. Rand began moving toward the center long before this campaign season ever started, so endorsing McConnell early was just another small move for him.

Just goes to show how much having a political father can help out a political child. Rand is still his daddy's boy, but like any smart boy, he learned from his daddy's mistakes.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:22 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
it was a smart move for Paul win or lose. Rand began moving toward the center long before this campaign season ever started, so endorsing McConnell early was just another small move for him.

Just goes to show how much having a political father can help out a political child. Rand is still his daddy's boy, but like any smart boy, he learned from his daddy's mistakes.
Having the Senate majority leader come out for him if he runs for President will be a huge advantage. I'm thinking not only from a power perspective but from a monetary one, although the Pauls never seem to have a problem raising money. I'm thinking McConnell will give him a choice of committees, too. If Paul would win the Presidency and McConnell still hold the Senate, Kentucky will feel like it won the lottery.

Old 11-08-2014, 03:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
I can't see McConnell swaying a single vote Paul's way.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:45 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I can't see McConnell swaying a single vote Paul's way.
Directly, no not at all. But in terms of raising money and helping him build a more centrist perception, I think it will help.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:13 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
This really smells like a good old political quid pro quo. It helped Mitch bury his Tea Party challenger and it helps Paul by giving him support from one of the most powerful mainstream Republicans. They both gained big time.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
He did the right thing: yes, he has learned from his father; that is why, even though he holds many of the same views he is so much more popular. Of course some of his popularity has to do with timing. Like his dad or not, Ron was too early for his ideas to make an impression. Rand Paul will benefit from McConnell's support. I doubt many are ever swayed by endorsements, regardless where they come from, but behind the scenes they can mean a lot. Paul is in a good place right now. I think he will run and possibly get the nod. He certainly will outdo his dad.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Directly, no not at all. But in terms of raising money and helping him build a more centrist perception, I think it will help.
So he's going to help him lose my vote?

Old 11-08-2014, 09:43 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Exactly what would be the UP side for Republican Senator Rand Paul to have Harry Reid for Senate Majority Leader?

Mitch McConnell's secret weapon was always Rand Paul and the campaigning that Rand Paul would do for him. Nothing else makes any sense at all. I don't see these two men as "big buddies", but they certainly have to work together, and more importantly -- NOT work against each other.

It's a real disappointment that Ted Cruz is not as smart as Rand Paul. Texas Senator John Cornyn went to bat for Ted Cruz after he was elected and made sure he got on important committees - took the same line that Mitch McConnell did - which is they were colleagues from the Same Party/Same State in the Same Senate. It's not wise, or even reasonable to undermine your partner in the Senate. Ted Cruz does exactly that and it's going to kill his career in politics. You can disagree, but it's political suicide to undermine.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Exactly what would be the UP side for Republican Senator Rand Paul to have Harry Reid for Senate Majority Leader?
That is NOT the only alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections