U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:47 PM

3,646 posts, read 2,317,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Illinois is gerrymandered in the Democrats favor, however California and New York aren't
Yet, the last I looked the GOP picked up 2 seats in IL.

OK so how is the districts in NY and CA the result of GOP manipulation then?

But thank you, I did not know that NY now had a citizens body to draw the lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 05:54 PM

18,975 posts, read 15,423,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Low turn out for Romney by his base in 2012=Lackluster candidate out of touch
Low turn out for Dems by their base in 2014=Dirty gerrymandering techinques by the GOP
1. Romney did not have low turnout among his base in 2012.

2. With a few exceptions (NC-7 being the most obvious). I would agree that most of the gains the GOP had this cycle were not a result of gerrymandering. Most of the gerrymandering done by the GOP following the 2010 census was done to protect potential vulnerable seats.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:56 PM

3,646 posts, read 2,317,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
1. Romney did not have low turnout among his base in 2012.

2. With a few exceptions (NC-7 being the most obvious). I would agree that most of the gains the GOP had this cycle were not a result of gerrymandering. Most of the gerrymandering done by the GOP following the 2010 census was done to protect potential vulnerable seats.

3 Million republicans staying home in 2012 qualifies as low turnout in his base.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:58 PM

15,367 posts, read 13,395,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Democracy is flawed because it allows Republicans, whose policies don't work and are unpopular, to influence elections unfairly. This must be corrected by the 2016 elections. Republicans foolishly try to deceive people into thinking they are popular, when in actuality, they can only win by cheating.

Gerrymandering Rigged the 2014 Elections for Republican Advantage |
Please explain to me how this impacted the Senate.

I know the article speaks to the House, but the Senate also became majority Republican, which means obviously there was a tide for them.

I do not see the big deal about it, it is not unusual for one party to become the majority every couple of elections. Also, it is not like the parties are all that much different.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Yet, the last I looked the GOP picked up 2 seats in IL.

OK so how is the districts in NY and CA the result of GOP manipulation then?

But thank you, I did not know that NY now had a citizens body to draw the lines.

Never said they were. I said neither state was gerrymandered. California voters passed redistricting form, and redistricting is done by a bi-partisan panel made up equally of Democrats and Republicans regardless of who controls the state legislature.

In NY, voters just passed a ballot initative to reform redistricting similar to California's current plan, but was not in place in 2010. In 2010 the districts were drawn by the Courts after the State Assembly (Democratic controlled) and the State Senate (Republican controlled) couldn't agree on a map. The districts now is actually much fairer than the districts drawn following the 2000 census where the GOP led state Senate and the Dem led state Asembly agreed to an Incumbent protection map.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:33 PM

Just to add about the two flips in Illinois. IL-12 was a Dem leaning seat that the GOP picked up, not really a district that was targeted in redistrcting

IL-10 was one of the Democrats top targets in Illinois and they did gerrymander the seat. Dold who was the previous Republican in the seat lost it in 2012 and won it back this year. Dold is probably the most liberal Republican in either the House or Senate (lifetime ACU rating is 40)

Old 11-12-2014, 06:38 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,214,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Gerrymandering does not apply to Senate elections.
CaseyB is spot on. Gerrymandering is nugatory when it comes to Senate elections. Also for gubernatorial elections, where the GOP now has a nearly 2-1 advantage after 2014.
What Senate Republicans can learn from the GOP-led states - The Washington Post

Old 11-12-2014, 06:40 PM

4,572 posts, read 2,967,814 times
More absolute troll horsecrap from this OP.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 PM

4,572 posts, read 2,967,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The GOP only won the Senate due to low Democractic turnout. The Democrats, if not pick up more seats, will take back the chamber in 2016.
Nope. You'll see. You've been wrong over and over.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:48 PM

7,177 posts, read 5,385,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Democracy is flawed because it allows Republicans, whose policies don't work and are unpopular, to influence elections unfairly. This must be corrected by the 2016 elections. Republicans foolishly try to deceive people into thinking they are popular, when in actuality, they can only win by cheating.

Gerrymandering Rigged the 2014 Elections for Republican Advantage |
There is also the fact that the democratic party rating falls to a record low....

Democratic Party Favorable Rating Falls to Record Low

The voters just aren't that into you anymore.

Last edited by MUTGR; 11-12-2014 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections