Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This again goes to show how thin and old the Democrats bench has become. Yet another possible candidate emerges, and he's a one term senator with no other elected office experience (AFAIK), and will be 71 his first month in office should he win in 2016.
You post this in every single forum even though both I and Smash have posted information that debunks your claim.

Why are you so obsessed with age and why are you so subjective about it ????

Peter King (R-NY) already announced he is running for President and he is almost 2 years older than Webb.

heck, even if you didnt know king was running, im pretty sure you knew Ron Paul ran last time and he would have been 78 when taking office.

Newt Gingrich would have been 70 when taking office as well.

Buddy Roemer would have been 70

John McCain was 71 when he was running for President in 2008.

Seriously, are you that biased or are you so one sided you dont even try to look and see if the same thing is true of your side ????

Heck, If Rand Paul runs, his record will be the exact same as Jim Webb seeing as he has never held elected office.... but wait, Webb actually served as Secretary of the Navy under reagan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 08:05 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
He is the solution, IMO. And if he runs, he will have my vote. What a refreshing change from the depressing Clinton-Bush prospective face-off

Former Virginia Sen. Jim Webb Announces 2016 Exploratory Committee - NBC News

If you are interested in what this man, an officer and a gentleman, is all about, here is his site. If you think you can get behind him, please take the time to email him supporting his candidacy. He needs to hear from the people.

Jim Webb
A Democrat from the South. He's got my primary vote. I think that Hillary Clinton already has plans to sell us out. I am tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:50 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
A Democrat from the South. He's got my primary vote. I think that Hillary Clinton already has plans to sell us out. I am tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.
Or, as I like to say, the lesser of two weasels.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:28 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
How were we clueless ?
Liberals kept extolling the virtues of Huntsman, but I could never get any of them to articulate why. Huntsman had a fairly conservative record as Utah gov, so I could never understand quite why liberals loved him, and apparently they didn't either because none of them ever explained it to me.

Trying to tell the other side whom they should nominate is somewhat of a fool's errand. This is why I hesitate to even opine on who the Democratic nominee should be.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:34 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
I have to say, I just cannot see a white male at the top of a Democratic ticket. The electorate has changed that much in such a short time.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You post this in every single forum even though both I and Smash have posted information that debunks your claim.

Why are you so obsessed with age and why are you so subjective about it ????

Peter King (R-NY) already announced he is running for President and he is almost 2 years older than Webb.

heck, even if you didnt know king was running, im pretty sure you knew Ron Paul ran last time and he would have been 78 when taking office.

Newt Gingrich would have been 70 when taking office as well.

Buddy Roemer would have been 70

John McCain was 71 when he was running for President in 2008.

Seriously, are you that biased or are you so one sided you dont even try to look and see if the same thing is true of your side ????

Heck, If Rand Paul runs, his record will be the exact same as Jim Webb seeing as he has never held elected office.... but wait, Webb actually served as Secretary of the Navy under reagan
Wow I touched a nerve? You can say that both you and Smash debunked my claim, but that doesn't make it so. Link? Quote?

Sure there are aging people on both sides, and both Reagan and McCain were elderly when they ran. However overall, the GOP currently has much more young talent. IMO the 4 top potential Dem 2016 nominees are Hillary Clinton (67) Warren (65). Biden (72) and Webb (68). Now look at the list of 14 potential GOP noms. posted by Laura the other day. I won't go through the whole list (too much homework) but my top 4 would probably be Carson (63) Cruz (43) Paul(51) and Walker(47).

Dem avg=68 R=51

Not to mention that Earthly Father posted these numbers recently: in the entire US Congress 7 of 11 members 30-39 are GOP, and 14 of 18 members age 40-49 are GOP.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Liberals kept extolling the virtues of Huntsman, but I could never get any of them to articulate why. Huntsman had a fairly conservative record as Utah gov, so I could never understand quite why liberals loved him, and apparently they didn't either because none of them ever explained it to me.

Trying to tell the other side whom they should nominate is somewhat of a fool's errand. This is why I hesitate to even opine on who the Democratic nominee should be.
I think the majority of Democrats who like Huntsman do so because he does not demonize those who disagrees with them, but rather shows a genuine interest with working to find a solution.

I Think Huntsman is wrong on many issues(most actually), but he has the ability to articulate his opinion without creating political theater.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Wow I touched a nerve? You can say that both you and Smash debunked my claim, but that doesn't make it so. Link? Quote?

Sure there are aging people on both sides, and both Reagan and McCain were elderly when they ran. However overall, the GOP currently has much more young talent. IMO the 4 top potential Dem 2016 nominees are Hillary Clinton (67) Warren (65). Biden (72) and Webb (68). Now look at the list of 14 potential GOP noms. posted by Laura the other day. I won't go through the whole list (too much homework) but my top 4 would probably be Carson (63) Cruz (43) Paul(51) and Walker(47).

Dem avg=68 R=51

Not to mention that Earthly Father posted these numbers recently: in the entire US Congress 7 of 11 members 30-39 are GOP, and 14 of 18 members age 40-49 are GOP.
You did touch a nerve, i have no problem of admitting it, but it isnt because you are right, it is because your arguments are so selective and make no sense.

for example.

Quote:
However overall, the GOP currently has much more young talent.
That is obviously an opinion, but you post it as if its a fact.

Quote:
IMO the 4 top potential Dem 2016 nominees are Hillary Clinton (67) Warren (65). Biden (72) and Webb (68). Now look at the list of 14 potential GOP noms. posted by Laura the other day. I won't go through the whole list (too much homework) but my top 4 would probably be Carson (63) Cruz (43) Paul(51) and Walker(47).
Jim Webb announced his candidacy 2 days ago, before that day, his name wasnt even mentioned in a poll of Democratic candidates. So how in any world can you name him a top 4 Democratic Candidate ????

Kirsten Gillibrand has been mentioned in more polls than he has and she is 48

That tidbit doesnt even matter because its off topic, your argument was based on people who have actually declared for President, not who could, and Peter King, Mitt Romney, and John McCain were all older than the Democrat they faced in November( or who had declared at the time).

as a Matter of fact. Rick Santorum, Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich, and Mitt Romeny were all older than Barack Obama in 2012, No matter who ran against him, he would have been going up against an older candidate.

your argument is swiss cheese.

And as for who "could" declare, that sets up an even bigger flaw in your argument because as far as you know, Julian Castro could start an exploratory committee (age 40).

Quote:
7 of 11, and 14 of 18, what kind of BS counting system is that ?????

the 5 youngest senators are

Chris Murphy, Brian Schatz Martin Heinrich, Mike Lee, Marco Rubio in that order.

The Youngest member of the House of representatives are Patrick Murphy, Aaron Schock, Tulsi Gabbard, Eric Swalwell, Joe Kennedy in that order.

so out of the 5 youngest member of each Chamber 3 of 5 are Dems in the senate. And 4 of 5 in the House. The youngest in each chamber all being Dems.

Last edited by dsjj251; 11-22-2014 at 10:47 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 10:54 PM

OK well we can come up with all kinds of battling metrics. Well see who is running when the primaries start, and calculate the averages on both sides then. Until then it's an exercise in speculation either way.

BTW you forgot about about Elise Stefanik.(R,NY) She is now the youngest US House member, or will be when sworn in.

BTW also..re 'BS counting system.' It's just a fact. Earthly provided the link and research. Of those in Congress (both chambers) who are 30-39, 7 of 11 are GOP. Of those who are 40-49, 14 of 18 are GOP. How is that a 'BS counting system?' In fact how is it even a 'counting system?'

Old 11-22-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:

i also discovered something while doing some research. Earthly Fathers weird way of counting congress isnt even right

Patrick Murphy, Tulsi Gabbard, Eric Swalwell, Joe Kennedy,Kyrsten Sinema,Grace Meng, and Jared Polis are all Democrats and all under 40 in the House of represenatives.

Thats 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections