Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 07:21 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider az View Post
he should run a as a democrat. He no where conservative enough. Besides we will see more dem calling them conservative. Or even more a reach a jfk democrat!
he is a democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 10:09 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,388 times
While there's quite a bit to like about him, Webb has been on the sidelines so long I doubt he could build enough momentum to make a credible run. What has he even been doing the last several years? The last time I remember hearing anything about him was in 2004 as a potential nominee. Since then I've heard virtually nothing.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:29 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,176,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
While there's quite a bit to like about him, Webb has been on the sidelines so long I doubt he could build enough momentum to make a credible run. What has he even been doing the last several years? The last time I remember hearing anything about him was in 2004 as a potential nominee. Since then I've heard virtually nothing.

Well, at least we know he hasn't been trashing the State Department and screwing up things in Libya. Or saying to people "What difference does it make?"

Old 12-31-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Well, at least we know he hasn't been trashing the State Department and screwing up things in Libya. Or saying to people "What difference does it make?"
'I'm not Hilary! Vote for me!' isn't exactly compelling. He looks like a long-shot at best.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:50 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,176,307 times
Quote:
'I'm not Hilary! Vote for me!' isn't exactly compelling. He looks like a long-shot at best.
Heh, I find it rather compelling, actually. Anything not-Hillary and not-Jeb is worth a look.

But, you're probably right. Looks like we're going to be force-fed some Hillajeb. Break out the Pepto-Bismol.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:26 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Since 2004, he served one term in US Senate and written a bunch of books, fiction and non-fiction. One turned into movie Rules of Engagement.

One strategy he could pursue early would be to picks fights on policy with the Republicans. Dems who might not know him or especially like him, might be coaxed into cheering his punches thrown. It also might allow him to get punches thrown seen as normal so when he turns to doing it against Hilary it is just Webb being Webb. This is just a tactical observation.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
But, you're probably right. Looks like we're going to be force-fed some Hillajeb. Break out the Pepto-Bismol.
Yeah, pretty much. While I don't think either is particularly principled, they do seem reasonably competent, esp Hilary. Politically, they're probably actually fairly similar: Jeb is moderate to somewhat conservative; Hilary is moderate to somewhat liberal.

If it is in fact Hilary v Jeb, I'd put money on Hilary. She'd do much better with women, minorities, and younger voters; probably well enough to overcome her weakness with men (esp older men). Though many Republicans are in denial about this, when he left office Bill was the most popular president in modern history: Like it or not, he'll be a major asset for her.

While it's not fair, since Jeb has the Bush name his brother's disastrous presidency will be an albatross around his neck. Hilary doesn't have the same kind of immediate connection with Obama, and even if she did, he's far less of a liability than W is for Jeb.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:56 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If he does not want the job, why is he even talking about an exploratory committee?
There's no harm in exploring life's possibilities, doesn't mean you''' end up believing they all suit you.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Yeah, pretty much. While I don't think either is particularly principled, they do seem reasonably competent, esp Hilary. Politically, they're probably actually fairly similar: Jeb is moderate to somewhat conservative; Hilary is moderate to somewhat liberal.

If it is in fact Hilary v Jeb, I'd put money on Hilary. She'd do much better with women, minorities, and younger voters; probably well enough to overcome her weakness with men (esp older men). Though many Republicans are in denial about this, when he left office Bill was the most popular president in modern history: Like it or not, he'll be a major asset for her.

While it's not fair, since Jeb has the Bush name his brother's disastrous presidency will be an albatross around his neck. Hilary doesn't have the same kind of immediate connection with Obama, and even if she did, he's far less of a liability than W is for Jeb.
The Bush name could be the biggest downfall he has, but I am not sure if you are right about the minorities and Hillary. There will be a lot of minorities that voted in 2008 and 2012 that will, most likely not vote period and more Hispanics will support Bush than they did McCain or Romney, if for no other reason than his wife being Hispanic.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
There's no harm in exploring life's possibilities, doesn't mean you''' end up believing they all suit you.
oh, I totally agree, what I was referring to was; if he had no interest he wouldn't be forming a committee. No, this certainly doesn't mean he will decide to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections