Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:01 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,522,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Johnny Reid "John" Edwards--This is John Edwards complete name. You can get both names from the Wikipedia. There is a lot of other information on the internet that some of you need to be researching. You might just learn why some of us will n-e-v-e-r vote for Obama.
And I bet a lot of people wouldn't vote for Edwards because he has what could easily be perceived as a hick name. Or perhaps because they thought his middle name was "Sue".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 06:15 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,969,575 times
Obama lost me when he said he'd make meeting with the world's dictators a priority during his first year in office. Say what? Sorry, but in a world that is highly volatile and complex, we don't need a president who has to read Foreign Policy for Dummies.

On domestic policies, he's light on substance. He says he doesn't do well in debates but prefers giving speeches. Well, I think we need more than someone who is great on rhetoric and gives great inspirational speeches. Eight years ago, Americans voted in the guy they thought was personable and plain-speaking. Look where that got us! His support didn't increase until Oprah staged events for him -- and people were dumb enough to be moved by that? Sigh....

I wish Ron Paul would run as an independent. But, he's not, so I'm supporting Hillary. She may not be personable but she is extremely intelligent and understands the political game. As much as people dislike "politics," it DOES take a political operative to get things done in Washington. I'm looking for a president, not a guru.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:30 PM

160 posts, read 599,220 times
Boy these Obama threads were good for a laugh today! Jeez, reading this stuff probably made me way more pessimistic than I should be. I didn't think he had much of a chance at all before. Now, I feel much better that Iowa showed most white people aren't as nutty as the ones on these boards.

Last edited by kelabu; 01-04-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-04-2008, 07:45 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,077,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelabu View Post
Boy these Obama threads were good for a laugh today! Jeez, reading this stuff probably made me way more pessimistic than I should be. I didn't think he had much of a chance at all before. Now, I feel much better that Iowa showed most white people aren't as nutty as the ones on these boards.
Tell me about it. Thank god I don't encounter people like this on a daily basis, or I'd have a much more pessimistic view of this country.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,695,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
As much as I like Obama personally, Al Gore will have to enter the race to save the Democrats if Hillary cant regain a commanding delegate lead after the results of February 5th. Unfortunately, Obama has no chance to win the general election, there are still too many racists, rednecks, and yahoos in this country. Out of " half-north, half-south states" like Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, Virginia, etc. Obama would have to win at least a couple of them. Do you reallly feel he could do that?
Most of the racists, rednecks, and yahoos long ago joined the religious nutcases and robber barrons in the Republican party. No Democrat will ever get their vote nor should they try. I was really put off when Howard Dean said "I want to be the candidate of the guys with Confederate flags on their trucks" as if he was trying to get the Klan's endorsement or something! Of course Obama will win Illinois- his home state. He will also win Missouri and probably Virgina in the general. Ohio may be a toss up as it always is. He will not win anything in southeast but he doesn't need too. He needs to win what Kerry won plus one more state.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
What does "Redneck leanings" mean in practise?
Something you should never admit to being unless you are Jeff Foxworthy and even he is not really into redneckism.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
I keep hearing that John Edwards does not have a lot of money to spend and that Barack Hussein Obama has the most money to spend. Could Oprah be the source of that money? Where do you think he got all that money? I think it would be interesting to follow the money trail. Where do you think the money trail would lead?

In North Carolina we often vote for the person with the least money, because they are often the most honest candidate and would be the best for the little people. I believe in the American people and their ability to discover and deal with truth and the truth will set you free, or keep us free. I have relatives in Iowa! What were they thinking? Thank goodness there are 49 other states.
Isn't North Carolina the state that graced us with the likes of Jesse Helms who, at 100 years old, sat senile in the Senate never telling us about the "other baby" that he had with the family maid (was slavery still on when he was a teenager?). So most of us really don't care who North Carolina votes for. They are just another state on Super Tuesday. South Carolina is far more important.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,119,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Isn't North Carolina the state that graced us with the likes of Jesse Helms who, at 100 years old, sat senile in the Senate never telling us about the "other baby" that he had with the family maid (was slavery still on when he was a teenager?). So most of us really don't care who North Carolina votes for. They are just another state on Super Tuesday. South Carolina is far more important.
Thanks a lot. We always go red in the general anyway. I never voted for Helms. I never voted for Strom in SC when I lived there either.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Thanks a lot. We always go red in the general anyway. I never voted for Helms. I never voted for Strom in SC when I lived there either.
Yeah I think it was Storm Thurmand I am thinking of. Him and Helms are pretty much the same people though.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,119,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yeah I think it was Storm Thurmand I am thinking of. Him and Helms are pretty much the same people though.
Strom Thurmond. He had a black mistress. He was one of the Dixiecrats. He and Helms gave NC/SC the reputations we have today as backwards hicks. While there certainly are some areas like that, the metro areas of NC are on par with other large US cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections