Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,962,401 times

Advertisements

The winner in Iowa has historically not been a predictor of the nominee from either party,

As for the winners and losers. The huge turnout of young voters helped Obama and hurt Clinton. Mr. Obama however has thus far proven to be very thin on substance, and high on rhetoric and style. He will need much more then this in the coming primaries. His rather mediocre record in the US Senate, and very uninspiring record in the Illinois legislature are likely now to come under scrutiny. He has no real solutions for anything, including health care.

Mrs Clinton has to overcome the desire for change, her somewhat arrogant air of 'inevitability' and needs to engage Obama and Edwards in a more aggressive way without become harsh or shrill.

Mr. Edwards will have a tougher time in New Hampshire, with has less money then Clinton or Obama. His populist message is to me the most vigorous of all the candidates.

I have nothing against Mr. Huckabee- but on many issues he seems uninformed- and many of his views seem rather eccentric.
I am not here to be critical of his religious views- but the scientific evidence of evolution is overwhelming- his refusal to accept ideas from the late 19th century is troubling.

Mr. Romney has shown that money and arrogance do not mean votes- at least in Iowa.
John Mc Cain may do much better in New Hampshire. Rudy is holding out to the 'big states'

All in all an interesting beauty contest for all-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 07:33 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,884,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The winner in Iowa has historically not been a predictor of the nominee from either party,

As for the winners and losers. The huge turnout of young voters helped Obama and hurt Clinton. Mr. Obama however has thus far proven to be very thin on substance, and high on rhetoric and style. He will need much more then this in the coming primaries. His rather mediocre record in the US Senate, and very uninspiring record in the Illinois legislature are likely now to come under scrutiny. He has no real solutions for anything, including health care.

Mrs Clinton has to overcome the desire for change, her somewhat arrogant air of 'inevitability' and needs to engage Obama and Edwards in a more aggressive way without become harsh or shrill.

Mr. Edwards will have a tougher time in New Hampshire, with has less money then Clinton or Obama. His populist message is to me the most vigorous of all the candidates.

I have nothing against Mr. Huckabee- but on many issues he seems uninformed- and many of his views seem rather eccentric.
I am not here to be critical of his religious views- but the scientific evidence of evolution is overwhelming- his refusal to accept ideas from the late 19th century is troubling.

Mr. Romney has shown that money and arrogance do not mean votes- at least in Iowa.
John Mc Cain may do much better in New Hampshire. Rudy is holding out to the 'big states'

All in all an interesting beauty contest for all-
I don't think Obama will get the Bible reading christian vote.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:37 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,621,579 times
I know. Read what I wrote in http://www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...on-paul-3.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Rudy is not working Iowa or NH. He is waiting down the road in Florida.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:44 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,854,418 times
historically florida has always been the deciding factor in who wins, not iowa, even if we have to vote early and often!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,527,394 times
"On this January night, [Barack Obama] has done what the cynics said [he] couldn't do."

From where I sit, the grip of fear is tremendously entertaining to watch.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,775,904 times
As much as I like Obama personally, Al Gore will have to enter the race to save the Democrats if Hillary cant regain a commanding delegate lead after the results of February 5th. Unfortunately, Obama has no chance to win the general election, there are still too many racists, rednecks, and yahoos in this country. Out of " half-north, half-south states" like Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, Virginia, etc. Obama would have to win at least a couple of them. Do you reallly feel he could do that?

Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,993,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
As much as I like Obama personally, Al Gore will have to enter the race to save the Democrats if Hillary cant regain a commanding delegate lead after the results of February 5th. Unfortunately, Obama has no chance to win the general election, there are still too many racists, rednecks, and yahoos in this country. Out of " half-north, half-south states" like Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, Virginia, etc. Obama would have to win at least a couple of them. Do you reallly feel he could do that?
In one word. Yes.

Colin Powell had a damn good chance of capturing the majority White vote (and a few Black voters as well) back in 2004 had he run instead of the man sitting in the White House presently.

Let me put it this way: I have Redneck leanings and I would have voted for Colin in a heartbeat.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:22 AM

5,408 posts, read 7,771,932 times
Well, who woulda thunk he could win Iowa?

The under 30 crowd showed up in droves and he got all their votes. He got most independent votes as well. I think he will do well with minorities. If those trends continue there is no reason that could not trump the "redneck" factor.

Especially if the Republicans offer up Huckabee as the alternative.

(I wish Powell had run back in 2004 also)...

Old 01-04-2008, 08:31 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,993,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Well, who woulda thunk he could win Iowa?

The under 30 crowd showed up in droves and he got all their votes. He got most independent votes as well. I think he will do well with minorities. If those trends continue there is no reason that could not trump the "redneck" factor.

Especially if the Republicans offer up Huckabee as the alternative.

(I wish Powell had run back in 2004 also)...
Maybe ol' Hillary is behind Huckabee's campaign

Old 01-04-2008, 08:43 AM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,497,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I believe I know what email you speak of. Trinity United Church of Christ (http://www.tucc.org/black_value_system.html - broken link) is the link. I'd say it would ruin his chances in the Carolinas for sure. But then again his skin color probably already ruined it for him anyways. I'd argue in more progressive states, it may actually improve his chances.
I didn't read the whole thing, but that website seems to be about color. The e-mail I received had nothing to do with color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections