Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 10:50 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Romney flip-flopped and then flipped again on so many issues that no one knew what he stood for or whether they could believe what he was saying when he ran. While Obama projected a blank slate, Romney had the entire slate covered.
I have similar feelings about 2012. It was a very weird election. Instead of a mandate on Obama the Obama team was able to turn it into a mandate on Romney for undecided voters. Or more accurately- mid 90s Romney, 2002 Romney, 2008 Romeny, 2012 Primary Romney and 2012 General Election Romney. With a side of 'Romney comes to town' corporate raider as funded by Sheldon Addleston in the primary.

He basically had himself tied in knots with two sides and three explanations of every issue, 47% and an explanation of Romneycare not being Obamacare that rivalled anything Bill Clinton pulled in trying to find alternate meanings for the verb 'is.' If it weren't for Obama's being so much less popular than in 2008 I think Romney would have been relegated to the low 40s, I think a hamster could have gotten the same vote total. Then again I think every election since Eisenhower is as much about who was defeated as it was about who won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 11:13 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Exactly right. Competition improves the breed. In 2012 we saw one 'not Romney' after another lead in the GOP polls. There was Cain, Santorum, Perry, Gingrich, and all proved unsuitable, and I think it made Romney stronger. I disagree that Romney was not a strong candidate. He did in fact overcome all these challengers (mostly they all imploded on their own).

Romney lost in 2012 largely due to identity politics. Romney won 59% of the white vote. You don't do that as a weak candidate. But he lost 80% of the non-white vote due to Pres. Obama's much greater focus on, and facility with, manipulation of the electorate via identity politics.
The fact that Mitt Romney couldnt beat what most see as mediocre competition could indeed be argued as proof that he was an inferior candidate.

Think of it in sports terms. You dont expect a good team to struggle with a bad one.

And yes, you can do that as a weak candidate, you said it yourself by talking about identity politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections