U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:44 AM

313 posts, read 390,227 times

Advertisements

The most surprising result is California jumping from worst run state (for three years in a row) to not even in the top 10 worst run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 09:10 AM

10,635 posts, read 6,035,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen View Post
The most surprising result is California jumping from worst run state (for three years in a row) to not even in the top 10 worst run.
They were able to do so only after marginalizing the GOP in the state. Hmm...

Old 12-11-2014, 09:35 AM

34,593 posts, read 33,579,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Like it or not, historically a relatively small number of states have produced Presidents. Most of the states you mentioned have NEVER produced a nominee, let alone President and others not since the 19th Century. Besides lacking national exposure, they are unlikely to attract money from donors for fear that they can't win.

The best that a Governor or Senator of one of these "fly over" states can generally hope for is to be selected Asa running mate, and to build up hisresume that way.
Lacking National exposure is the problem. The national news media is situated in NY and DC. Their world is small. They don't get their butts out to these successful states unless there's a natural disaster or a big crime and even then they send some lowly reporter. The way they talk about the middle of the country is as if the people who live there are aliens from Jupiter. The TV news people have the electronic capability to interview governors in these successful states but they don't. Instead, we see the same old faces year after year. The same old faces they see at their parties and luncheons. I bet some of them have been to Baghdad more than they've been to North Dakota or Wyoming.

The reason they don't attract donors is because no one on Wall Street knows who the (bleep) they are.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:35 AM

23,219 posts, read 11,476,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
As for Christie and Martinez, both are in states that have had a culture of corruption. Both have tried to fight it, but you don't turn a culture around overnight. Do we want a prez who was lucky enough to be in a state with oil and gas, whose only challenge was to not screw things up, or do we want a Bobby Jindal who has had to face untold challenges as Gov. of Louisiana?
Louisiana doesnt have Oil,Gas, And corruption ?????

Old 12-11-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They could be if the NY - DC corridor (media, politicians, finance) talked about them more instead of just promoting the guys with whom they have lunch and cocktails.
Thats up to republicans to do then.

I say republicans because Democrats did give Bill Clinton the Democratic Nod, Most analyst say Howard Dean(Gov. of VT)screwed himself in 2004 And he served as DNC chairman, and the current VT Governor serves as DGA chairman.

Also,lets be clear. Christie gets the spot light because he is a R governor in a Blue state and he has a big mouth. He forced himself into the spot light, and he then took advantage of it once he was there.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 2,318,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
They were able to do so only after marginalizing the GOP in the state. Hmm...
Or try Brown reigning in the Democrat Legislatures uninhibited liberalism. Brown is the first Governor since I moved here in 1996 to tell the Democrats "NO!" and get away with it. And that's scary because, obviously, he is a Democrat.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Or try Brown reigning in the Democrat Legislatures uninhibited liberalism. Brown is the first Governor since I moved here in 1996 to tell the Democrats "NO!" and get away with it. And that's scary because, obviously, he is a Democrat.
What did he tell them " No" on ?

Old 12-11-2014, 01:31 PM

3,645 posts, read 2,318,988 times
And BTW, the Republicans gained 4 seats in the CA assembly (now 52/28), and 3 in the Senate (now 26/14). Still a small minority, but the Dems lost their supermajority.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:49 PM

2,687 posts, read 1,839,349 times
I think many governors don't run due to the lack of name-recognition and the ability to raise the sums necessary to capture a major party nomination.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:12 PM

3,333 posts, read 4,306,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
And BTW, the Republicans gained 4 seats in the CA assembly (now 52/28), and 3 in the Senate (now 26/14). Still a small minority, but the Dems lost their supermajority.
How are 65% of the assembly and 65% of the Senate not supermajorities?

I would have probably given Pawlenty a look if he lasted until the SC Primary- which basically the 3rd contest. I think he might have been the successful anit-Romney. Truth be told after 22 years of inspiring and charismatic Presidents I long for boring. If I could dial back the clock and keep the first President Bush around 4 more years I would do so in a heartbeat.

Also McCain got the nod in 2008- if New Mexico is a fly over state Arizona would be also.

The latest possible R contender I've read about is Snyder in Michigan. I think he might be able to present a pretty good case for himself but doesn't have the bombastic personality of Christie or Gingrich who can break through in one of those cattle call debates we are destined for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or