U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 AM

10,635 posts, read 6,031,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I don't either.

The genie is out of the bottle and the problems faced by Americans re: affordable, quality, accessible health care are now front and center. If the Republicans want to address Obamacare head on they're going to have to present an alternate plan to the American people that really works. Do they have a comprehensive plan to overhaul? Is it a good plan? Is it cost effective? Is it simple enough (as in not a mountain-high manual of rules and regulations) that Americans can understand and believe in it? Will it be presented truthfully to us? Can we afford it? Will it increase the national debt? How would it be implemented so that the entire system (1/6th of the economy) is not (again) thrown into upheaval? Is it good for Americans or is it good for insurance companies? A ton of other questions people smarter than me could come up with.

I have my doubts that the Republicans can get their act together enough to come up with a good plan and then message it in a persuasive way.. I would like to be proven wrong.
As someone who has been able to afford healthcare through the exchanges after going without for over a decade, I would like for you to be proven wrong, as well. If the Republicans are going to attempt to destroy the ACA, either by hacking at it piecemeal or repealing it outright, I would like to believe they will not do so until/unless they have something real and concrete to replace it with.

Unfortunately, I think their entire strategy is REPEAL! and nothing more. That's something that should scare everyone, because the ripple effect throughout the industry will end up adversely affecting everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 04:32 PM

8,059 posts, read 4,393,886 times
We aren't that deep into 'it'. Thanks goes to the Obama administration for all of the various mandate delays. Had they not been delayed the foul beast would have its hooks into America's economy much deeper. But, then the Mr Obama might not have been reelected and more Dem Congressional and Senate rats would have been defeated. Double edged sword.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
As someone who has been able to afford healthcare through the exchanges after going without for over a decade, I would like for you to be proven wrong, as well. If the Republicans are going to attempt to destroy the ACA, either by hacking at it piecemeal or repealing it outright, I would like to believe they will not do so until/unless they have something real and concrete to replace it with.

Unfortunately, I think their entire strategy is REPEAL! and nothing more. That's something that should scare everyone, because the ripple effect throughout the industry will end up adversely affecting everyone.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:05 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,013,607 times
Arjay, Educate yourself. There are 51 voting jurisdictions with electoral votes, 50 states PLUS Washington D.C., which news flash Arjay, is NOT part of Maryland nor Virginia.

2nd news flash; It has electoral votes of its own.

40 of 51 have voted the same way since 1988..in every single POTUS race.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 9,474,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Arjay, Educate yourself. There are 51 voting jurisdictions with electoral votes, 50 states PLUS Washington D.C., which news flash Arjay, is NOT part of Maryland nor Virginia.

No that's incorrect in 1988, ME, NH, VT, CT, MD, DE, IN, VA, NC, CA, NM, NV, CO, FL, OH, MI, and IL went for Bush I that went for Obama in 2008.
WV went Dem in 88 to Republican in 08.
IA went For Dukakis then Bush II
So that's 19 states.
LA, AR, TN, KY, GA, MO, MT went for Clinton in 92 then Republicans in 2000
That's an additional 7
26 states.
Even excluding 1988
NH, OH, VA, NC, IN, CO, IA, NV, AR, TN, KY, GA, FL, MO, WV and MT have flipped
16 states.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:26 PM

I forgot some Red Wall states flipped in 92, 6 elections ago.

We still should take no pride in just 30% flipping during that long era. Both parties would be wise not to spend time in the solid red or blue states.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:49 PM

10,946 posts, read 8,229,818 times
Quote:

Educate yourself. You know, say what you really mean. Going by your standards you must also territories like Guam and Puerto Rico.

The harder you squirm, the deeper you get into your fantasy world of mistruths.

Flash, you screwed up again.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:52 PM

I said what I mean.51 as in jurisdictions with ECs. Nothing else matters for POTUS. 51 towards a goal..270.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I forgot some Red Wall states flipped in 92, 6 elections ago.

We still should take no pride in just 30% flipping during that long era. Both parties would be wise not to spend time in the solid red or blue states.
Yes, you do forget any facts that tend to prove your dishonestly. How special for you.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:54 PM

I'd like to see the GOP appeal to the BW, which would mean not pandering to the South. That would increase the # from 16 some.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I said what I mean.51 as in jurisdictions with ECs. Nothing else matters for POTUS. 51 towards a goal..270.
Reread your post. You said 51 states. You said nothing referencing jurisdictions with ECs. So just continue to lie to yourself if it makes you feel better. You still lied and continue to make it worse by your silly self justifications.

Just admit and maybe you can gain a modicum of believability. Or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or