Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:07 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So she says. Since she is Hispanic I think she will show her true colors on amnesty eventually.
That's not necessarily true. I am a Mex-American who is NOT FOR AMNESTY. most family members don't really care about the issue or are strongly against it like me. My Dad thinks that the illegals are a bunch of crooks just like the kind in Mexico that extract mordidas from travelers. I have reason to believe that she feels the same way about illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:57 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
That's not necessarily true. I am a Mex-American who is NOT FOR AMNESTY. most family members don't really care about the issue or are strongly against it like me. My Dad thinks that the illegals are a bunch of crooks just like the kind in Mexico that extract mordidas from travelers. I have reason to believe that she feels the same way about illegals.
Heh-heh, illegals are extracting mordidas from US taxpayers. It's much easier than accosting travelers.

With that said, I've always wondered why Mex-Americans, or any Americans of Hispanic origin would support amnesty for illegals, because it seems like to me that one of the reasons for being here in the first place would be to escape many of these characters. The MSM would like people to think that "Hispanics" want amnesty. Personally, I'd resent being conflated with criminality, freeloading, low wages, poverty, illiteracy, cartels, gang activity, disease, etc. But that's what the MSM is doing, and I think it's being done on purpose.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
1) Brother & Dad didn't run against the minority candidate in Obama where Latinos identified themselves to make history in America. You think Poppa Bush or W Bush would have done better with Latinos against Obama?

2) Illegals aliens are not supposed to be here or work without permission or use fake/stolen I.D. to apply for stuff but they do.....its call breaking the law.
can't rep you until I spread it around, but you bring up very good points.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:03 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Heh-heh, illegals are extracting mordidas from US taxpayers. It's much easier than accosting travelers.

With that said, I've always wondered why Mex-Americans, or any Americans of Hispanic origin would support amnesty for illegals, because it seems like to me that one of the reasons for being here in the first place would be to escape many of these characters. The MSM would like people to think that "Hispanics" want amnesty. Personally, I'd resent being conflated with criminality, freeloading, low wages, poverty, illiteracy, cartels, gang activity, disease, etc. But that's what the MSM is doing, and I think it's being done on purpose.
Yes, you got that one right. My mom tends to have a "soft heart" for the illegals and would vote Dem anyway. The plight of the illegals has nothing to do with the way that she votes. MSM has us believing that Ted Cruz is a no-good Senator and of course that illegals are something wonderful for this economy.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
As I said, before he came under his brother's influence, he was OK as a governor. In some ways, he's a very good manager and really showed his management chops when it came to hurricanes, of which, by the way, we had quite a few during his tenure. In fact I thought he did a fine job during Andrew and its aftermath, but given that his father was in the White House at the time, we did get a lot of support that we might not otherwise have gotten. We were grateful for that, though.

I think things would have been quite different had he been President instead of his brother. He would not have had to contend with all the BS that his brother saddled him with and he probably could have managed the country just fine, in an alternate history. But, they had to go to the elections with the Bush they had, not the one they wanted. It's sad, but JEB! is damaged goods now, due to his brother, and likely will act accordingly and that's why I'm leery of him.

Here's the key point why JEB! should not be president: He didn't stand up to his brother's interference in Florida when he should have, and if he couldn't do that, then I figure he won't be able to stand up to foreign regimes.

The governor's mansion IS public housing. Taxpayers pay for it. It may not be a housing project, but it's still public housing.

As to whether or not I'd vote for a Republican based on many of my past posts, obviously you've missed my disclaimer that I am a registered Republican. Mainly because I believe in the Republic, not the mob, although the party has been co-opted by the neocon mob at this time. If Jeff Sessions were to declare for the presidency, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. I don't see anyone else in the Republican field who appeals to me. As it is, if Jim Webb declares as a democrat, I will support him.

Thank you for your thoughtful posts. I appreciate them.

Jeb was Governor during several hurricanes, but he was not Governor when his father was in office during Andrew. Lawton Chiles was in office when Andrew hit, Jeb ran against Chiles in 1994 and lost, and then ran in 1998 in an open race and won.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Jeb was Governor during several hurricanes, but he was not Governor when his father was in office during Andrew. Lawton Chiles was in office when Andrew hit, Jeb ran against Chiles in 1994 and lost, and then ran in 1998 in an open race and won.
Oops, sorry, you're right and in fact I was more focused on Bush the elder than the son, because I always felt that since the son had political aspirations, we got better treatment here.

I was very fond of Lawton Chiles. Bush the Elder really did work with him for the good of the state at that time.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Oops, sorry, you're right and in fact I was more focused on Bush the elder than the son, because I always felt that since the son had political aspirations, we got better treatment here.

I was very fond of Lawton Chiles. Bush the Elder really did work with him for the good of the state at that time.
WTH was I thinking? Here I am getting my Bushes and governors all mixed up. Way to create some credibility here.

Well, what a difference between the response to Andrew vs Katrina, though.

I think I just resent the idea that anytime a Bush decides he wants to be Prez, it's his right and privilege. I don't like dynasties. Let's say Jeb wins. Well, you just KNOW that Jorge P. wants a hit of that, too.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
WTH was I thinking? Here I am getting my Bushes and governors all mixed up. Way to create some credibility here.

Well, what a difference between the response to Andrew vs Katrina, though.

I think I just resent the idea that anytime a Bush decides he wants to be Prez, it's his right and privilege. I don't like dynasties. Let's say Jeb wins. Well, you just KNOW that Jorge P. wants a hit of that, too.
I completely agree with you on the notion if a Bush runs, he thinks he can win, but remember 1980? Everyone including Bush (the dad) assumed he woudl be the nominee; what happened? Resenting the idea of another Bush is one thing, but I still say, you probably are not going to vote Republican anyway. I know you are a registered R you tell us, but you are not very pro the party or it doesn't appear you are.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:56 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I completely agree with you on the notion if a Bush runs, he thinks he can win, but remember 1980? Everyone including Bush (the dad) assumed he woudl be the nominee; what happened? Resenting the idea of another Bush is one thing, but I still say, you probably are not going to vote Republican anyway. I know you are a registered R you tell us, but you are not very pro the party or it doesn't appear you are.

I think its possible (though fairly unlikely) that Bush wins the GOP nomination if he does run for President. If he gets the nomination, however I think he has the same chance of winning the General as Ted Cruz does. Not because he is as extreme as Cruz, but his brother destroys any chance of Jeb winning the Presidency.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:03 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I think its possible (though fairly unlikely) that Bush wins the GOP nomination if he does run for President. If he gets the nomination, however I think he has the same chance of winning the General as Ted Cruz does. Not because he is as extreme as Cruz, but his brother destroys any chance of Jeb winning the Presidency.

maybe people are tired of the Bush dynasty and want somebody new. Hillary will have the same problem.

She is no Bill Clinton and that's her problem.

I don't think Jeb will win the nomination on just immigration alone.....he is to the left of the party on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections