U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2014, 10:01 AM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
87,927 posts, read 3,659,171 times
Reputation: 7471

Advertisements

Mitt Says Jeb Would be Toast - The Daily Beast

Looks more and more like Romney will run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2014, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,700 posts, read 83,272,206 times
Reputation: 41535
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
Mitt Says Jeb Would be Toast - The Daily Beast

Looks more and more like Romney will run.
just because he said Bush would be toast: is no indication he is running. Of course Rpomney might have said that: the Bush's hesitated endorsing him but of course did. Many insiders were still trying to find someone to nominate up til the last minute or as close to the last minute as they could. It seems those who are so sure Romney will run are the libs that would love to it happen.l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,235 posts, read 14,261,055 times
Reputation: 15730
The last sentence of the article says the most.
"He (Romney) does not feel he owes the Bushes anything and does not think Jeb is the de facto leader of the establishment GOP.”

Romney wants to be the guy who is the voice of the establishment GOP more than he wants to be President. He wouldn't mind being the President, of course, but I seriously doubt he is so delusional as to either actually believe the 3rd time would be the charm or that he's willing to be his party's sacrificial lamb in 2016.

Realistically- does Mitt have any greater means of attracting the minority voters or the voters in the Blue Wall than he had in 2012? How many Republicans will vote for him a 3rd time?

More importantly, is any Republican capable of getting more than the 47% Mitt got in 2012? Can any Republican do better than getting more of the old white male vote than 51%? That's the most Mitt can do at the best, and it wasn't good enough.

There is nothing in Jeb Bush's past that isn't in Mitt's. Both of them wheeled and dealer in the same financial circles, even if the particular companies were different. Mitt being a privileged insider hurt him in 2012, and will hurt him just as much in 2016. Jeb faces the exact same problem.
The biggest difference between them is Mitt's reputation for waffling. Jeb Bush doesn't have that quality hanging on his neck like a dead stinking Albatross.

Is the GOP going to be satisfied with 2 old elite candidates once more?

I have no answers, but I doubt either Bush or Romney will be nominee. I think Rubio or one of his generation is a better bet. With 2016 being another wide-open election, it is not surprising at all to me that field in either party is slow to jell right now. There are many large lingering issues at play and new issues are still coming at a bewildering rate. Any candidate that jumps into the race too early stands a chance of becoming trapped early, concentrating on issues that may no longer matter to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 02:37 PM
 
5,556 posts, read 5,027,757 times
Reputation: 3943
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The last sentence of the article says the most.
"He (Romney) does not feel he owes the Bushes anything and does not think Jeb is the de facto leader of the establishment GOP.”

Romney wants to be the guy who is the voice of the establishment GOP more than he wants to be President. He wouldn't mind being the President, of course, but I seriously doubt he is so delusional as to either actually believe the 3rd time would be the charm or that he's willing to be his party's sacrificial lamb in 2016.

Realistically- does Mitt have any greater means of attracting the minority voters or the voters in the Blue Wall than he had in 2012? How many Republicans will vote for him a 3rd time?

More importantly, is any Republican capable of getting more than the 47% Mitt got in 2012? Can any Republican do better than getting more of the old white male vote than 51%? That's the most Mitt can do at the best, and it wasn't good enough.

There is nothing in Jeb Bush's past that isn't in Mitt's. Both of them wheeled and dealer in the same financial circles, even if the particular companies were different. Mitt being a privileged insider hurt him in 2012, and will hurt him just as much in 2016. Jeb faces the exact same problem.
The biggest difference between them is Mitt's reputation for waffling. Jeb Bush doesn't have that quality hanging on his neck like a dead stinking Albatross.

Is the GOP going to be satisfied with 2 old elite candidates once more?

I have no answers, but I doubt either Bush or Romney will be nominee. I think Rubio or one of his generation is a better bet. With 2016 being another wide-open election, it is not surprising at all to me that field in either party is slow to jell right now. There are many large lingering issues at play and new issues are still coming at a bewildering rate. Any candidate that jumps into the race too early stands a chance of becoming trapped early, concentrating on issues that may no longer matter to the public.
Heh, Mitt could have won in 2012, but he made the huge mistake of listening to Republican party consultants, and I think now he's realized that he got some major bum steers. He got played. He was indeed a sacrificial lamb...for Jeb Bush. It was too soon for Jeb to run (it's always going to be too soon for Jeb to run, though) and somebody had to be the place holder. No way they were going to let Mitt win, because that would have meant Jeb would have to cool his heels for eight years and by then, more than likely, it would be too late. But they needed a place holder and there was Mitt. I think it was a huge shock to him that he lost.

Rubio? Meh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 04:10 PM
 
77,995 posts, read 33,265,332 times
Reputation: 15592
He will run but can't we do better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 04:11 PM
 
36,297 posts, read 16,222,932 times
Reputation: 9757
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The last sentence of the article says the most.
"He (Romney) does not feel he owes the Bushes anything and does not think Jeb is the de facto leader of the establishment GOP.”

Romney wants to be the guy who is the voice of the establishment GOP more than he wants to be President. He wouldn't mind being the President, of course, but I seriously doubt he is so delusional as to either actually believe the 3rd time would be the charm or that he's willing to be his party's sacrificial lamb in 2016.

Realistically- does Mitt have any greater means of attracting the minority voters or the voters in the Blue Wall than he had in 2012? How many Republicans will vote for him a 3rd time?

More importantly, is any Republican capable of getting more than the 47% Mitt got in 2012? Can any Republican do better than getting more of the old white male vote than 51%? That's the most Mitt can do at the best, and it wasn't good enough.

There is nothing in Jeb Bush's past that isn't in Mitt's. Both of them wheeled and dealer in the same financial circles, even if the particular companies were different. Mitt being a privileged insider hurt him in 2012, and will hurt him just as much in 2016. Jeb faces the exact same problem.
The biggest difference between them is Mitt's reputation for waffling. Jeb Bush doesn't have that quality hanging on his neck like a dead stinking Albatross.

Is the GOP going to be satisfied with 2 old elite candidates once more?

I have no answers, but I doubt either Bush or Romney will be nominee. I think Rubio or one of his generation is a better bet. With 2016 being another wide-open election, it is not surprising at all to me that field in either party is slow to jell right now. There are many large lingering issues at play and new issues are still coming at a bewildering rate. Any candidate that jumps into the race too early stands a chance of becoming trapped early, concentrating on issues that may no longer matter to the public.
Old white male vote? Spin much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 04:20 PM
 
11,058 posts, read 3,727,152 times
Reputation: 5184
Mitt is better than Jeb......No way will the GOP nominate another Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 04:54 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
87,927 posts, read 3,659,171 times
Reputation: 7471
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
just because he said Bush would be toast: is no indication he is running. Of course Rpomney might have said that: the Bush's hesitated endorsing him but of course did. Many insiders were still trying to find someone to nominate up til the last minute or as close to the last minute as they could. It seems those who are so sure Romney will run are the libs that would love to it happen.l
Would I like to see Romney run? Sure, because it would be interesting for those of us who would love to see as many candidates as possible in the race on both sides. However, I think you are mistaken in concluding it's because "libs" think Romney would somehow be easy to beat. I for one don't think that at all. I see Romney as much more electable than Christie or even Bush..and certainly more so than Ben Carson, Ted Cruz and the other far right candidates. Things just seem to be lining up for him right now, but you are right...who knows if he will throw his hat into the ring or not. It's just fun for all of us to speculate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 04:59 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 17,019,107 times
Reputation: 7282
banjomike"Realistically- does Mitt have any greater means of attracting the minority voters or the voters in the Blue Wall than he had in 2012? How many Republicans will vote for him a 3rd time? "

The nominees are not losing these vital blocs, the party is, as it is being steered like the Titanic to defeat every 4th 1/20. 5 of 6 POTUS races now went popular vote Blue, with Team blue winning over 61% of all electoral votes.

No BW penetration = whomever is the Dem nominee wins POTUS. Its simply math, 270 will not come again for the GOP until it wins some BW electoral votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2014, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,223,537 times
Reputation: 7950
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The last sentence of the article says the most.
"He (Romney) does not feel he owes the Bushes anything and does not think Jeb is the de facto leader of the establishment GOP.”

Romney wants to be the guy who is the voice of the establishment GOP more than he wants to be President. He wouldn't mind being the President, of course, but I seriously doubt he is so delusional as to either actually believe the 3rd time would be the charm or that he's willing to be his party's sacrificial lamb in 2016.

Realistically- does Mitt have any greater means of attracting the minority voters or the voters in the Blue Wall than he had in 2012? How many Republicans will vote for him a 3rd time?

More importantly, is any Republican capable of getting more than the 47% Mitt got in 2012? Can any Republican do better than getting more of the old white male vote than 51%? That's the most Mitt can do at the best, and it wasn't good enough.

There is nothing in Jeb Bush's past that isn't in Mitt's. Both of them wheeled and dealer in the same financial circles, even if the particular companies were different. Mitt being a privileged insider hurt him in 2012, and will hurt him just as much in 2016. Jeb faces the exact same problem.
The biggest difference between them is Mitt's reputation for waffling. Jeb Bush doesn't have that quality hanging on his neck like a dead stinking Albatross.

Is the GOP going to be satisfied with 2 old elite candidates once more?

I have no answers, but I doubt either Bush or Romney will be nominee. I think Rubio or one of his generation is a better bet. With 2016 being another wide-open election, it is not surprising at all to me that field in either party is slow to jell right now. There are many large lingering issues at play and new issues are still coming at a bewildering rate. Any candidate that jumps into the race too early stands a chance of becoming trapped early, concentrating on issues that may no longer matter to the public.
Good analysis, as usual. I will be shocked if Romney runs, and surprised if Jeb Bush runs. You have to go back to Richard Nixon, 50 years ago, to find a prez candidate who lost in the general and ran again for prez.

Jeb Bush is smart enough to realize that the 'not another Bush' factor would be overwhelming. If either does cast aside common sense and decide to run, I expect that they will get a cold reception from GOP grass roots in what will be a crowded GOP primary packed with young stars like Cruz, Rubio, Jindal, Paul, Martinez, and Walker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top