Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 03:17 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times

Advertisements

Vietnamese-Americans have always been instinctively Republicans, much like Cubans, Kurds, Crimeans, Israelis, Yazidis, or any other oppressed group that needed air support. It is an instinctive response to choose the lesser of two evils, the party less likely to abandon you when the going gets tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 04:54 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
And Los Angeles County does not surprise me in the least. It is Los Angeles what do you expect!

Old 12-22-2014, 05:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have always wondered why the Asians lean to the left, now maybe the tide is changing.

They keep saying that, but in my experience with people of Asian decent in Texas and especially around the liberal Austin area, they are very disciplined and very conservative. The 18-25 3rd generation or more demographic, is split 50/50

Old 12-24-2014, 05:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They keep saying that, but in my experience with people of Asian decent in Texas and especially around the liberal Austin area, they are very disciplined and very conservative. The 18-25 3rd generation or more demographic, is split 50/50
well lets hope if they are truely conservative they show up and vote that way. I know, the few we have aroung here are hard workers, family oriented, proud to be Americans or proud to be living in our country, etc. but the polls still seem to show a lot of Asians voting D. I just have never understood this.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:13 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,967 times
Quote:
well lets hope if they are truely conservative they show up and vote that way. I know, the few we have aroung here are hard workers, family oriented, proud to be Americans or proud to be living in our country, etc. but the polls still seem to show a lot of Asians voting D. I just have never understood this.
Many in the Asian community see the Republicans as anti-intellectual especially in regards to science education. Republicans tend to much fund public education at lower rates than Democrats. For many years many prominent Republicans advocated teaching creationism and "intelligent design" in schools as an alternative to teaching evolution. Asians thought these proposals were absolutely insane. Also calling anyone who attends Ivy League and other prominent schools "elitists" does not help as Asians aspire to attend these schools.

Old 12-25-2014, 12:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Many in the Asian community see the Republicans as anti-intellectual especially in regards to science education. Republicans tend to much fund public education at lower rates than Democrats. For many years many prominent Republicans advocated teaching creationism and "intelligent design" in schools as an alternative to teaching evolution. Asians thought these proposals were absolutely insane. Also calling anyone who attends Ivy League and other prominent schools "elitists" does not help as Asians aspire to attend these schools.
Do you have a link or quote of Asians expressing concern over intelligent design, or is this just something that you imagined in your mind that some imaginary Asians said?'

There is on the other hand, actual evidence that Asians are growing tired of ongoing efforts to discriminate against them at colleges and universities, invariably pushed by Democrats:

Asian Americans furious at proposal allowing California colleges to choose students by race | South China Morning Post

Old 12-25-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Where in the H did you get such an idea?. Voicing something as fact, when it is just an opinion and a pretty far fethed one isn't going to make much of an impression on very many.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:44 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,967 times
Quote:
Where in the H did you get such an idea?. Voicing something as fact, when it is just an opinion and a pretty far fethed one isn't going to make much of an impression on very many.
It's all summed up nicely for you right here. Why did Asian Americans vote for President Obama? It also shows how Asian Americans support abortion right and gay right.

Another article right here backing up my point. http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/pol...e_so041529.php This one states how the President has appointed a record number of Asians as government officials unlike previous presidents.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:30 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Pretty sure Orange County has been a conservative area all along.
Orange County is the historical heart of modern conservativism.

Old 12-26-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
It's all summed up nicely for you right here. Why did Asian Americans vote for President Obama? It also shows how Asian Americans support abortion right and gay right.

Another article right here backing up my point. Why do Asian Americans vote so heavily Democratic? Political science research has some answers by Kathleen Geier | Political Animal | The Washington Monthly This one states how the President has appointed a record number of Asians as government officials unlike previous presidents.
Both articles, from very liberal papers or blogs, say nothing of what you mention except Asians are pro choice and in favor of gay marriage although the articles just say a majority I think. I read them earlier today. You are basing your responses mostly on what a couple of articles have to say, with no real grounds. That would be like my saying: a large majority of Republicans are 100% pro life based on something written in some far right publication. When, in reality, both parties have people who are pro life and pro aborthin; both parties have people who are in favor of gay marriage and are opposed to it and both parties have whites, blacks, Hispanic, Asians, Jews, etc. If your response wasn't from 2 left of left publications people might take them seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections