Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:10 AM

752 posts, read 566,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
"I think that Walker's been a great governor"
Again, based on what? The economic metrics would suggest otherwise.

Quote:
"Therefore, I think that Walker would be the ideal choice for VP, because he could help Bush or Christie carry WI (and the less liberal IA). (Regarding your point about Ryan being unable to make much of a difference in WI, all I have to say is that Ryan represents a Congressional District that is only 1/8 of the entire state, so it was unrealistic to assume that he could bring WI into the GOP column. On the other hand, Walker has won three statewide elections in WI.)"
Wisconsin exit poll (2014):

Do you think Paul Ryan would make a good president?

YES: 46%
NO: 49%

Do you think Scott Walker would make a good president?

YES: 42%
NO: 55%

He won that election by more than 5 points!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
"By what statistics? Unemployment has dropped to 5.4%, which is better than both Illinois and Michigan."
And higher than either Iowa or Minnesota. So? It's the context that matters: Wisconsin's economic performance has lagged the national average during Walker's tenure.

Quote:
"Also, Mitt Romney job record was worse than Scott Walker."
How many governors elected in 2010 (at the beginning of the recovery) could say the same? Prior to lauding such accomplishments, you should consider how exceptional they truly are. Similar to the common refrain that a governor balanced his/her state's budget -- seeing as that's a statutory requirement in 49 states, I certainly hope so.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
"I really appreciate your honesty in admitting that McCain would have lost no matter who he selected."
I've mentioned it before, but the fact that McCain lost by a mere 7% (given the context, he should've been annihilated) is indicative of the level of polarization present and the difficulty inherent in attempting to flip a state won by the opposing party by 7% (i.e., Walker/Wisconsin).

Old 01-12-2015, 06:12 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
Again, based on what? The economic metrics would suggest otherwise.

actually economic metrics suggest walker is doing VERY GOOD, for Wisconsin

wisconsin had a net GAIN of jobs in 2011, and 2012, and 2013...better than most states

FACTS dont support your crap

2011:
job creation index 2011

from BEST to WORST by state not counting DC

north dakota
iowa
ok
utah
nebraska
indiana
WV
SD
AK
Mississippi
SC
Va
Tenn
Ga
Ky
Mn
Tex
Arkansas
Del
Mich
WISCONSIN
AZ
Maryland
Ohio
VT
Penn
Wyoming
Missouri
alabam
mass
kansas
lousi
hawaii
maine
washington
idaho
CT
Montana
FL
cali
NM
NC
NY
oregon
nv
MH
NJ
RI

with wisconsin on the better side of the middle

2012:
job creation index 2012

from BEST to WORST by state including DC
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
District of Columbia
Texas
Oklahoma
Minnesota
Iowa
Indiana
Utah
Maryland
Ohio
Missouri
Kansas
Wisconsin
Michigan
Arkansas
Wyoming
Vermont
Tennessee
Pennsylvania
Massachusetts
Louisiana
Illinois
Georgia
Arizona
Virginia
South Carolina
NATIONAL AVERAGE
Washington
North Carolina
Mississippi
Kentucky
Alabama
Nevada
Montana
Colorado
Alaska
New Hampshire
Hawaii
Florida
West Virginia
Rhode Island
Delaware
California
Oregon
New York
New Mexico
New Jersey
Idaho
Connecticut
Maine

North Dakota
South Dakota
District of Columbia
Nebraska
Delaware
Minnesota
Texas
Michigan
Iowa
Wisconsin
Hawaii
Arizona
Wyoming
Washington
Utah
Tennessee
Ohio
Massachusetts
Indiana
Georgia
Florida
Oklahoma
Maryland
Illinois
Colorado
California
South Carolina
Oregon
National average
Missouri
Louisiana
Idaho
Virginia
Nevada
Kansas
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Montana
Mississippi
Alaska
North Carolina
New Hampshire
Maine
Kentucky
Arkansas
Alabama
New York
Connecticut
West Virginia
Vermont
New Mexico
Rhode Island

State of the States

hmmm

seems that wisconsin is doing BETTER than average...better than 50% of the other states....

Old 01-12-2015, 06:44 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
for every stat saying walker is doing great another can be presented with him doing poorly.

like i said before, he doesn't have IT. nobody is drawn to him and he doesnt interest anybody. nobody is thinking oh my god scott walker is running.

to win these days its more a popularity contest then anything else, and scott walker is as bland and boring as you can get.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
for every stat saying walker is doing great another can be presented with him doing poorly.

like i said before, he doesn't have IT. nobody is drawn to him and he doesnt interest anybody. nobody is thinking oh my god scott walker is running.

to win these days its more a popularity contest then anything else, and scott walker is as bland and boring as you can get.
not saying I like him NATIONALLY

but he is doing good for Wisconsin...and that is the state he is governor of

he has given wisc. a chance for improvement...unlike what the dumbocrats did for years as wisc was falling in the dumps

its the same with many state governors, Cuomo was a disaster as chief of hud(part of the housing crash)... but is doing ok as a governor...heck of a lot better than the last one

evn NJ...cristy is doing good for NJ...but he might not be good as a potus

Old 01-12-2015, 08:01 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
You miss one of the subtle, but important to local school district, benefits of ACT 10. That is the the WEA Trust no longer has a monopoly on employee health insurance. School districts could and did put their health insurance out to bid. Amazing what happened to the cost structure when competition was introduced. Also, property taxes have come down somewhat.

As to employment growth. Yes, that has been disappointing, but the slow rebound is as much related to the manufacturing based nature of Wisconsin's emplyment base, as is any ineffectiveness. To be competitive in attracting new businesses and thus job creation, Wisconsin is going to have to get much more competitive with incentives with southern and southwestern states, that also happen to be right to work law states.

I like Walker, though, I'm not full on board with him, or any other conservative candidate, at this point. Kasich is intriguing for the reasons you mention. Think he is a VP candidate though. At his age, he could then run after four or eight years of the Republican President.

Also, don't underestimate that Reince Preibus came out of the Wisconsin political family. Reince has been very effective in 'righting' and reinvigorating the Republican ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
At the risk of stirring the pot, Walker's appeal among conservatives seems rooted in two facts: i.) he won multiple elections in a historically blue state; and ii.) he took on organized labor and prevailed. The former is certainly relevant with respect to Walker's potential as a presidential candidate. However, in the case of the latter, is Act 10 a significant achievement by its own merits, or simply as a feel-good tribal victory? Because Wisconsin isn't Illinois or Kansas -- its public pensions are among the best-funded in the nation, and have been for more than a decade. Walker's reforms, consequently, won't mean a great deal to the future of his state.

Which leaves the Governor's economic record, which has remained subpar in terms of job creation, income growth, GDP expansion, etc. Additionally, the state of Wisconsin is facing a sizable deficit despite the improved national economy.

So my suggestion is this: ditch Walker in favor of Ohio Governor John Kasich. Ohio has seen much more dramatic economic improvement, and the state budget is currently in the black. Kasich, moreover, was reelected in a landslide (+30%), is far less controversial than Walker (no serious ethics allegations), and is a more polished public speaker to boot. Lastly, the country has grown so polarized it's not hard to imagine a state rejecting a ticket led by one of its natives (Paul Ryan's presence made no difference in Wisconsin in 2012). So a closer (and more valuable) state, like Ohio, is probably a better bet.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:08 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
You miss one of the subtle, but important to local school district, benefits of ACT 10. That is the the WEA Trust no longer has a monopoly on employee health insurance. School districts could and did put their health insurance out to bid. Amazing what happened to the cost structure when competition was introduced. Also, property taxes have come down somewhat.

As to employment growth. Yes, that has been disappointing, but the slow rebound is as much related to the manufacturing based nature of Wisconsin's emplyment base, as is any ineffectiveness. To be competitive in attracting new businesses and thus job creation, Wisconsin is going to have to get much more competitive with incentives with southern and southwestern states, that also happen to be right to work law states.

I like Walker, though, I'm not full on board with him, or any other conservative candidate, at this point. Kasich is intriguing for the reasons you mention. Think he is a VP candidate though. At his age, he could then run after four or eight years of the Republican President.

Also, don't underestimate that Reince Preibus came out of the Wisconsin political family. Reince has been very effective in 'righting' and reinvigorating the Republican ship.

I hadn't thought about that, but Walker, Ryan, and Preiibus have all been good. Ryan is a big reason that spending has gone down several years since the spending spike of 2008-2010. Walker took on the public sector unions and won. Preibus has been excellent in fighting the misperception that the GOP is a whites-only party. The Wisconsin GOP has quietly made tremendous contributions towards turning the nation around.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:17 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post

Old 01-12-2015, 10:42 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
We have had quite enough of cool. Such a disgrace not to show solidarity with the French, as well as our other European and Middle Eastern allies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections