U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 AM

8,059 posts, read 4,396,382 times

Advertisements

Not to mention that the guy Walker hired came out of the Wisconsin Republican party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I hadn't thought about that, but Walker, Ryan, and Preiibus have all been good. Ryan is a big reason that spending has gone down several years since the spending spike of 2008-2010. Walker took on the public sector unions and won. Preibus has been excellent in fighting the misperception that the GOP is a whites-only party. The Wisconsin GOP has quietly made tremendous contributions towards turning the nation around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 02:03 PM

29,289 posts, read 39,611,449 times
Walker is not a serious candidate. No one outside of political buffs and Wisconsin has heard of him. This "run" is to give him name recognition for next time. Although there are others who think this is their year and have good name recognition from past efforts, it is really only between Jeb and Mitt. That is where the money is going and the nomination follows the money.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:54 PM

8,059 posts, read 4,396,382 times
You may be right Ponderosa. Candidates have been known to practice, before. Still, the Wisconsin Republican leadership has had a pretty good track record, over the last three years. Maybe we are seeing a piece of the new guard in the Republican Party stepping forward. All organizations need to be refreshed, find and develop new leadership.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:32 PM

3,113 posts, read 2,689,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
it is really only between Jeb and Mitt. That is where the money is going and the nomination follows the money.
If you are right, then Bush will get nominated and Republicans will lose the election due to his family name.

My feeling is that it will be either Scott Walker, Marco Rubio or Jeb Bush. The important question is, would Mitt rather have Jeb Bush win the nomination, or does he prefer someone else.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:37 PM

29,289 posts, read 39,611,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
If you are right, then Bush will get nominated and Republicans will lose the election due to his family name.

My feeling is that it will be either Scott Walker, Marco Rubio or Jeb Bush. The important question is, would Mitt rather have Jeb Bush win the nomination, or does he prefer someone else.
I think Bush will be harder to beat than many do. His name will be a liability but far less so in a face off with Clinton. His message will be "I'm not my father; I'm not my brother." It could work. The country might be receptive to a Republican who stays away from the social issues and emphasizes a simpler, smarter government.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:50 PM

752 posts, read 447,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
"actually economic metrics suggest walker is doing VERY GOOD, for Wisconsin

wisconsin had a net GAIN of jobs in 2011, and 2012, and 2013...better than most states"
Yeah, 'cause most states lost jobs in 2011, 2012, and 2013. Are you serious? And the ranking you cite is from Gallup -- it's based on public opinion, not empirical results. If you're interested in real numbers (you probably aren't), look here: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Last edited by drishmael; 01-12-2015 at 05:00 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 04:59 PM

9,833 posts, read 5,829,293 times
I could support Walker or Kasich, especially over Bush or any of the rest of the GOP sweethearts.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:00 PM

752 posts, read 447,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
"To be competitive in attracting new businesses and thus job creation, Wisconsin is going to have to get much more competitive with incentives with southern and southwestern states, that also happen to be right to work law states."
That's a fool's errand. Those states are competitive (at the low end of the spectrum) because the cost of living is low because land is cheap because the residents were historically impoverished. And people move south and west because the weather is warm. The key to Wisconsin's economic future is an educated workforce -- which is why Walker's "reforms" are failing and will ultimately fail.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:04 PM

9,833 posts, read 5,829,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drishmael View Post
That's a fool's errand. Those states are competitive (at the low end of the spectrum) because the cost of living is low because land is cheap because the residents were historically impoverished. And people move south and west because the weather is warm. The key to Wisconsin's economic future is an educated workforce -- which is why Walker's "reforms" are failing and will ultimately fail.
So far there are no indications that support your assertions..

Old 01-12-2015, 05:33 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,221,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Walker is not a serious candidate. No one outside of political buffs and Wisconsin has heard of him. This "run" is to give him name recognition for next time. Although there are others who think this is their year and have good name recognition from past efforts, it is really only between Jeb and Mitt. That is where the money is going and the nomination follows the money.
How many outside of political buffs and home staters had heard of Jimmy Carter in 1975? Or Bill Clinton in 1991? Or Barack Obama in 2007?

Again, recall what a tough time Romney had in 2011-2012. Remember the series of 'not Romneys' who led in polling? Romney did not nail down the top spot in polling until March 2012.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination

Romney won it in the end because people like Rick Perry and Herman Cain had self-immolated. I think Romney also did a pretty good job in persuading the GOP conservative base that he had evolved to become one of us. I also remain convinced that there was something of a genuine evolution of Romney, because he continued to run well to the right in the general election campaign.

Still I think the field in 2016 will be much stronger than in 2012, and either Romney or Bush will have problems with the GOP base this time around. But as I always say, a prediction does not constitute an argument, so we'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or