Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 05:34 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times

Advertisements

Would Rubio run if Jeb decides to run? I thought that the general consensus was that Rubio would defer to Jeb if he decides to run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 06:06 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It's not JUST skin color. As you know, I am Mex-American. I'm the darkest in my family. In France, they question my American-ness. One witch wished me a "happy Ramadan". I''ve encountered both kinds of Cuban-Americans, arrogant and non-arrogant. Because of my early life experiences, I look at Cubans and argentinians (the whites) skeptically. In these experiences, those people were "Don't EVEN think that we're ANYTHING like you
(mexican) in an area where mex-America were the predominant Latinos. They considered themselves superior. The first time that I heard it, I cried. I was a young boy. Yes, I've met some wonderful Cuban Americans since then, but I'm suspicious of them. They are "Hispanic" Only when it's convenient. Cubans have also benefitted from the "wet foot, dry foot", government handouts, loans, etc. they dont really share the stereotypical Hispanic experience. Rubio looks like another one of the "tenidos" to me who paints a picture of growing up in poverty and succeeding in this country- the "Hispanic Elizabeth Warren"
Skin color, race nor ethnic makeup should enter into anyone's decision of whom they vote for and that was my point. I have met people from all of the above some were positive encounters and some were negative. I wouldn't allow the negative encounters from one group to influence me from not voting from anyone from that group because of that. It's all about what they stand for to me.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:48 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Hopefully the question he is saying yes to is "Am I going to retire from politics?"

Old 01-11-2015, 09:31 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Skin color, race nor ethnic makeup should enter into anyone's decision of whom they vote for and that was my point. I have met people from all of the above some were positive encounters and some were negative. I wouldn't allow the negative encounters from one group to influence me from not voting from anyone from that group because of that. It's all about what they stand for to me.
Who are you kidding? More people voted for George W Bush because they felt comfortable "having a beer with him".

Old 01-11-2015, 09:52 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Didn't realize that Rubio was so unpopular even in Republican circles. Which is a shame, 'cuz as a Dem, would love to him and Cruz as part of the GOP's "Hispanic Outreach" efforts…. since I can't imagine anything more 'patronizing' than a couple of rich cuban white guys trying to pretend they have anything in common with the average "Latino" these days (lol)!

Old 01-11-2015, 10:29 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,555 times
Charismatic?

Water for Elephant - The Daily Show - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 01-12-2015, 08:17 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Who are you kidding? More people voted for George W Bush because they felt comfortable "having a beer with him".
Really? And where did you get such nonsense? My point was about skin color, race and ethnicity not whom you'd like to have a beer with. Many blacks voted for Obama simply because he is half black. Some whites will only vote for a white candidate. All I am saying is that we need to start using our brains while voting rather than voting for "someone who looks like me" kind of mentality.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:48 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Rubio won't get anywhere with the right given his history of being a gang of eight proponent of amnesty (not to mention his ethnicity). And he is a fraud as far as non-Cuban Hispanics are concerned.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:56 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
You're right, the guy's like a study in nervous tics and mannerisms. And that whole excited "breathless" thang doesn't exactly say "macho" either (to any 'demographic')!

Old 01-12-2015, 03:12 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Really? And where did you get such nonsense? My point was about skin color, race and ethnicity not whom you'd like to have a beer with. Many blacks voted for Obama simply because he is half black. Some whites will only vote for a white candidate. All I am saying is that we need to start using our brains while voting rather than voting for "someone who looks like me" kind of mentality.
It's not what he "looks like"- rather a characteristic of the way some of his ethnic group behaves towards other Hispanics. Some of the older white cubans that I have come across are really nice people, but they like sometimes will make comments like cuba is "una nacion de espanoles"- a nation of Spaniards. In actuality, there are a lot of african descendants there as well. It is like a big white chip that they wear on their shoulders. If he were a "white Mexican", you can bet that most mexican-americans would take much more kindly to him since we're used to "white mexicans" in our own families/acquaintances. But a white cuban with a supposed superiority complex is a credibility hurdle, not one that can't be overcome. But, he's clearly not "one of us".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections