U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:28 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,290,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Well then I guess I am insane because I don't think his/her parents should be rewarded for bringing the kid here illegally by allowing them to remain here. Nor should they benefit from their parent's law breaking. Go home and attempt to come back legally. They shouldn't be treated any different than the process that legal immigrants go through.
It not about her parents; it's about her. She was brought here at 18-months-old and had no choice in the matter. How do you justify punishing her by sending her back to a country that she doesn't even have a memory of, for something that she had no choice in? That is indeed insanity in my view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,484,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It not about her parents; it's about her. She was brought here at 18-months-old and had no choice in the matter. How do you justify punishing her by sending her back to a country that she doesn't even have a memory of, for something that she had no choice in? That is indeed insanity in my view.
That's her parents' responsibility. She can blame her parents for that. Why should we take in everyone that wants to be here? Have you been to southern Calif? It's CROWDED enough. It doesn't need more people. Just because they're from a shi*hole country doesn't excuse them from making adult decisions about the fate of themselves and their children.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:50 PM

23,348 posts, read 11,562,324 times
Quote:
So you are pro Dream act ?

Old 01-13-2015, 12:00 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,484,727 times
Quote:
Namecall much? Where am I being obtuse? Where am "playing the 'victim?'" You gave a quote, and I asked whom you were quoting. You know, when you're wrong it is a whole lot easier just to admit it than going through convoluted contortions to get out of it.

Does the same analysis apply to rising Dem stars Julian and Joaquin Castro, both Stanford college grads, and Harvard law grads? What do they have in common with "folks who daily bust their backs doing landscaping, cleaning hotel rooms or slaving in the fields?" Are they also therefore not real Latinos?
you could say that ANY mexican-American politician who attended Ivy League has to demonstrate their "Latino-ness " if they aspire to higher office. I think that they get "street cred" because their mother Rosie was a well known activist in San Antonio for decades. The Castro brothers have always embraced their Mexican heritage. Former Mayor Henry Cisneros also embraced his heritage. I once read an article where he said that he would NEVER live in an area where mex-American culture was not predominate. That's how strongly he felt shout being near his roots.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:14 AM

37,038 posts, read 16,423,983 times
Quote:
Yes it is about her parents. They are the ones who brought her here illegally. She should not benefit from their law breaking. Doesn't matter that she didn't have a choice. She is still here illegally. The law says that when someone like that reaches 18 they are then responsible for being here illegally themselves.

It is pure nonsense that she couldn't relate to her homeland. What culture and language do you think she was taught at home? It's not punishment for her to return to her true homeland and apply to come back legally. The insanity is allowing them to remain without going to through the legal channels. It is a big incentive for illegal aliens to bring their kids here illegally by rewarding them for doing so.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:17 AM

37,038 posts, read 16,423,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
you could say that ANY mexican-American politician who attended Ivy League has to demonstrate their "Latino-ness " if they aspire to higher office. I think that they get "street cred" because their mother Rosie was a well known activist in San Antonio for decades. The Castro brothers have always embraced their Mexican heritage. Former Mayor Henry Cisneros also embraced his heritage. I once read an article where he said that he would NEVER live in an area where mex-American culture was not predominate. That's how strongly he felt shout being near his roots.
I don't know of one Hispanic politician who isn't pro-amnesty. If you want to cling to your roots and expect your ethnic group to get a pass on our immigration laws then perhaps they should return to the country they so love.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:23 AM

1,706 posts, read 832,659 times
If Jeb and Mitt get in, Rubio doesnt stand a chance. He wont be able to raise enough money. Mitt and Jeb will monopolize all of the big donors, not to mention, their personal wealth doesnt hurt.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:06 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,597,987 times
Apparently nobody much cares for any of these guys anyway… especially Rubio, who trails behind even Huckabee in popularity!

The 2016 Field Is Crowded -- and Mostly Unpopular

Old 01-13-2015, 10:18 AM

1,706 posts, read 832,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Apparently nobody much cares for any of these guys anyway… especially Rubio, who trails behind even Huckabee in popularity!

The 2016 Field Is Crowded -- and Mostly Unpopular
It is incredible how someone could not have heard of some of these folks, actually down right scary. You dont have to be a political junkie like me, but damn, after all that happened in Wisconsin, how could you not have heard of Scott Walker?

Old 01-13-2015, 10:27 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,597,987 times
^ Dunno whether it's a case of being 'unheard of', or they're simply not that well-liked?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or