U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2015, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,083 posts, read 34,359,223 times
Reputation: 10481

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Who said anything about Christians being forced to participate in gay wedding ???

He said gay people shouldnt be allowed to get married based on the bible. While in the same paragraph saying people shouldnt have to follow other peoples religious beliefs.

so yes, that is indeed hypocrisy
Bakers are forced to prepare food for gay weddings for example.
There is no contradiction in his views, but the solution is simple, don't vote for him.

This is now a gay thread, so don't try to turn it into one.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-01-2015 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2015, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,547,111 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is no contradiction. The solution is simple, don't vote for him. This is now a gay thread, so don't try to turn it into one.
it is a contradiction to say you want to force your religious convictions on others while in the same paragraph saying they shouldnt force theirs on you.

And this isnt about me voting for

We are discussing 2016 hopefuls regardless of if we want to vote for them or not, YOU brought up Huckabee who has indeed indicated that he is running, You brought up the interview this morning that spent more than half of its time on the subject of gay marriage and his opposition to it .

My suggestion to you is that if you feel the specific subject matter is no longer warranted, you stop responding to the subject matter. by continuing to respond about the subject matter and then saying dont turn it into that thread, you are perpetuation the conversation and simply trying to get the last word in edge wise.

Take your own advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,547,111 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Bakers are forced to prepare food for gay weddings
Yep, its because they chose to serve the public. ther for they can not discriminate.

They should allow a church to buy into their proprietor partnership and that way they will be protected under the law.

And again, Huckabee's specific words were on religious freedom, you can not argue in favor of religious freedom while arguing that your religion should be forced on them.

Now if Huckabee had said " we dont have to back their cakes and they can marry who they want", I would still say he is wrong under the law, but at least that argument wouldnt make him hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Iowa, USA
6,553 posts, read 3,283,637 times
Reputation: 3801
Elizabeth Warren for Democrats. Rand Paul for Republicans.

That's about all I'd like to see. If they end up running against each other, I'd have a hard time picking. But I'd honestly probably ending up suppuration Paul (I'm a liberal, by the way). If it Paul against, say Hillary, I'd vote Paul. If it's Warren against any other Republican, I'd probably vote Warren.

That's my answer for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Florida
22,329 posts, read 9,489,425 times
Reputation: 18227
Removing the equation of emotion and biases from the choices, I think the the only GOP ticket that can win a general election would be Jeb Bush for Pres with a very intelligent and likeable woman as VP candidate. Or maybe Rand Paul as VP candidate, but I think Bush and Paul are too far apart regarding foreign policy to work as a team.

Rand Paul could be a dark horse--he is very smart politically, but he may have already alienated too many people with all of the Benghazi drama.

Scott Walker and Jindal look good on paper, but in reality are a very un-dynamic duo with hardly any personality between the two of them.

I really don't know at this point if Hillary will run or be the candidate, but if she is, she would probably need one of the Texas Castro brothers as VP candidate.

The rest of these tickets are just emotional dreaming. Cruz, Huckabee, Santorum, Rubio--none of them can win as presidential nominee. Christie just has too much baggage at this point, and I don't think he can sway many outside of the northeast. When it comes to the general election, pragmatism trumps everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 06:27 PM
 
Location: Florida
63,083 posts, read 34,359,223 times
Reputation: 10481
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
it is a contradiction to say you want to force your religious convictions on others while in the same paragraph saying they shouldnt force theirs on you.
So, homosexuality is now a religion? Seriously? The 1st Amendment speaks about religious freedoms, but it does not say anything about homosexuality.

And no, no one is forcing Christianity to you. You are free to reject it all day long. The problem is that Christians cannot reject homosexuality when they are being forced to partake in gay weddings etc

Open another gay thread since that is the only topic you are willing to talk about, This thread is about 2016 elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,547,111 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, homosexuality is now religion? Seriously? The 1st Amendment speaks about religious freedoms, but it does not say anything about homosexuality.

And no, no one is forcing Christianity to you. You are free to reject it all day long. The problem is that Christians cannot reject homosexuality when they are being forced to partake in gay weddings etc

Open another gay thread since that is the only topic you are willing to talk about, This thread is about 2016 elections.
The Constitution protects against forcing your religion on to other individuals. By telling gay people that they can not get married, you are indeed forcing your religion on others.



And as i said in the other post, while I do not agree with discrimination, That would actually be a valid point to be made about Religious organizations being forced to serve gay people.

And as i said before, if you dont want to talk about it, stop responding to it, but as long as you do, i will respond to you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,547,111 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Removing the equation of emotion and biases from the choices, I think the the only GOP ticket that can win a general election would be Jeb Bush for Pres with a very intelligent and likeable woman as VP candidate. Or maybe Rand Paul as VP candidate, but I think Bush and Paul are too far apart regarding foreign policy to work as a team.

Rand Paul could be a dark horse--he is very smart politically, but he may have already alienated too many people with all of the Benghazi drama.

Scott Walker and Jindal look good on paper, but in reality are a very un-dynamic duo with hardly any personality between the two of them.

I really don't know at this point if Hillary will run or be the candidate, but if she is, she would probably need one of the Texas Castro brothers as VP candidate.

The rest of these tickets are just emotional dreaming. Cruz, Huckabee, Santorum, Rubio--none of them can win as presidential nominee. Christie just has too much baggage at this point, and I don't think he can sway many outside of the northeast. When it comes to the general election, pragmatism trumps everything.
If I was a Republican, i would Nominate Jeb Bush and Scott Walker as his VP. That seems like the team that would be able to pull the most voters.

Hillary Clinton will not pick one of the Castro Brothers, both are still to "green".

I honestly think she will go for someone like Evan Bayh from the Midwest, she is going to play electoral math against Jeb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 06:58 PM
 
1,013 posts, read 770,640 times
Reputation: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The Constitution protects against forcing your religion on to other individuals. By telling gay people that they can not get married, you are indeed forcing your religion on others.



And as i said in the other post, while I do not agree with discrimination, That would actually be a valid point to be made about Religious organizations being forced to serve gay people.

And as i said before, if you dont want to talk about it, stop responding to it, but as long as you do, i will respond to you as well.
um I will say this

the bible can say whatever it wants
marriage must be done by a priest in christian faith as a result if the priest refuses to marry gays.
then that is HIS right.

Go find another religion to marry the 2 gays in question then or
find the priest that will recognize them.

no need to gloat about it afterwards.

Marriage is merely a promise to be together until death.
in the old ancient days it was used as a means to foster having kids so that it would form stronger bonds such that they will be less likely to separate.

today marriage is largely useless and meaningless
divorce rates up and marriage not being sacred anymore as people desecrate it anyway.
Just let it go marriage is meaningless.

promise each other on contract you will be together for life otherwise the other will get 1/2 of everything you have and that will be your marriage today.


But If I were to get married I want it to be for life.
Not just getting into one to try out and leave after the honey moon is over.

What do gays think of marriage anyway
WHY do gays want to get married anyway?

Do declare their undying love to each other?
they can do that any time they want anyone can.


as far as whom I will be voting for?
depends

I'll see whom is running join their party if I like their candidates and try to vote in the primaries.
if nothing good comes about I'll vote 3rd party.

I don't like anyone in the democrat party especially if it is only Hillary running.
Warren might be alright though.
Depends on how she acts I don't want her to act too non sensibly to the left though.
a middle ground would work.

as for the republicans 90% = dislike. because they are largely neo-cons
Rand Paul may appeal to me as he is much more sensible.


I will ask this though for the president candidates to sign every promise they make on the campaign trail.
If they cannot oblige to it then or at least try then they will be impeached.
NO QUESTIONS this goes for all candidates.

have voters go up to them to have each candidate sign a contract stating that they will keep their word.
and it shall be on camera.

Courts must uphold the document then as there is proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2015, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,547,111 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
um I will say this

the bible can say whatever it wants
marriage must be done by a priest in christian faith as a result if the priest refuses to marry gays.
then that is HIS right.

Go find another religion to marry the 2 gays in question then or
find the priest that will recognize them.

no need to gloat about it afterwards.

Marriage is merely a promise to be together until death.
in the old ancient days it was used as a means to foster having kids so that it would form stronger bonds such that they will be less likely to separate.

today marriage is largely useless and meaningless
divorce rates up and marriage not being sacred anymore as people desecrate it anyway.
Just let it go marriage is meaningless.

promise each other on contract you will be together for life otherwise the other will get 1/2 of everything you have and that will be your marriage today.


But If I were to get married I want it to be for life.
Not just getting into one to try out and leave after the honey moon is over.

What do gays think of marriage anyway
WHY do gays want to get married anyway?

Do declare their undying love to each other?
they can do that any time they want anyone can.

You need to read the full discussion because this post has nothing to do with what we were discussing.

Also, separate but equal is illegal in this country, so it doesnt really matter if gay people can declare their undying love in this country, they should be able to do it with a marriage licence just the same as anyone else. Afforded the same rights as everyone. Its that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top