U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 06:11 AM

36,220 posts, read 16,197,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Hispanic sur names are a great way to get ellected in Hispanic areas Hispanics are also the fastest growing demographic in the country.

Some politicians have gone as far as changing their name to something that sounds Hispanic to help get elected.
So you're ok with voting for a candidate just because one has the same ethnic surname as they do? Hispanics are only the fastest growing demographic because of illegal immigration.

"Some" have changed to a Hispanic surname? Um, you only named one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Arizona congressional candidate changes name to Cesar Chavez | Fox News

In souther California a few women have married Latin men and taken their last name helping them win is Hispanic districts.
Isn't it typical for women to take their husband's surname when they marry them? Again, are Hispanics so ethnically driven that they'd vote for someone just because they have a Hispanic surname? Apparently, that won't work for Cruz or Rubio though. So your claims are bogus. They also have to be Democrats.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:16 AM

35,028 posts, read 19,156,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I can't see Cruz having a chance in hell of even winning the GOP nomination, but I guess he's foolish enough to try.
Like Palin, Cruz has strong appeal to the ill-informed. Unlike Palin, he's no dummy. But he sure knows how to speak their lingo.

My prediction: he'll make a run for the GOP nod, knowing full well he has no chance. But he's not interested in public office. He's a self-promoter who's interested in Ted Cruz. It keeps his name out there. And like Palin, he'll leave office to cash in as a right wing pundit.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:20 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,214,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Cruz will never be the Republican party's nominee. The lesson of Barry Goldwater hasn't been forgotten.

Even if Cruz tries to soften his positions and image in the future, the GOP won't ever give him the chance to lose a Presidential election any more than they gave Goldwater a second chance.

If some of the liberals here are licking their chops in anticipation of shellacking the Repubs in 2016 every time someone wants to see Cruz run, don't blame them. The guy is seen as nothing but a bomb thrower in the blue wall states. Half of his own party sees him that way too.

There's nothing like handing the election to the other side to make a Democrat tickled. God knows they did enough before they got their act together, so they know what it feels like. You will too, if Cruz is the nominee.
At the end of the day I can't really argue with this. As I posted before, a friend of mine says that Cruz has not yet learned to 'do politics.'

Plus he will have only 3 years under his belt as senator in 2016. I would like to see him wait until 2020 or 24. He'll be 52 yrs-old in 2024, so he has plenty of time. In the meantime he can polish his act and image.

As another poster said, there is going to be trepidation of electing a 1st term senator from Harvard law school based on identity politics. We tried that once before....

Old 01-15-2015, 07:29 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,559,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Like Palin, Cruz has strong appeal to the ill-informed. Unlike Palin, he's no dummy. But he sure knows how to speak their lingo.

My prediction: he'll make a run for the GOP nod, knowing full well he has no chance. But he's not interested in public office. He's a self-promoter who's interested in Ted Cruz. It keeps his name out there. And like Palin, he'll leave office to cash in as a right wing pundit.
This! And just like Palin's extended "will she or won't she" tease, you'll notice that Cruz also didn't waste any time either establishing his own Super PAC… to cover 'expenses' of course!

Ted Cruz Gets A 2016 Super PAC
It was registered just three days after the 2014 midterm election.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:13 AM

12,300 posts, read 7,929,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Isn't it typical for women to take their husband's surname when they marry them? Again, are Hispanics so ethnically driven that they'd vote for someone just because they have a Hispanic surname? Apparently, that won't work for Cruz or Rubio though. So your claims are bogus. They also have to be Democrats.
People are driven to vote for people they are familiar with. Often times that means people of the same culture. Pretending that it doesn't happen is just being ignorant. Just look at the race of everyone in congress and the districts they come from.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:49 AM

18,975 posts, read 15,426,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Which goes to show that liberals are really afraid of Ted Cruz. He's bright, well-educated, and committed to the idea of limited government and individual freedom. He could finish what Ronald Reagan started.

Otherwise would we see one post after another from liberals begging for a Ted Cruz nomination? Hell know. You would clam up, and hope that Ted Cruz would be overlooked. Br'er rabbit 101.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7tyhpWiZyM

Lol, the idea that Cruz believes in limited government is a laughing stock. He wants his personal religious views to be made law, that sure as hell isn't limited government. And no liberals aren't scared of Cruz, not even remotely so. You are seeing post after post calling for his nomination, because liberals would love to see it.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
People are driven to vote for people they are familiar with. Often times that means people of the same culture. Pretending that it doesn't happen is just being ignorant. Just look at the race of everyone in congress and the districts they come from.
Not everyone votes that way. I certainly don't. I don't vote for a white candidate simply because he/she is white or is from a German background. I don't pretend it doesn't happen but to do so is what is truly ignorant. Politicians are supposed to represent the American people as a whole not certain ethnic/special interest groups.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:47 AM

12,300 posts, read 7,929,213 times
Quote:
Not everyone votes that way. I certainly don't. I don't vote for a white candidate simply because he/she is white or is from a German background. I don't pretend it doesn't happen but to do so is what is truly ignorant. Politicians are supposed to represent the American people as a whole not certain ethnic/special interest groups.
I agree with you, but you and I are the minority of the voting populace.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:04 AM

7,676 posts, read 8,455,502 times
Quote:
Oh great! From a leftist, biased blog. There was nothing in your last link about him saying that he made it easier for Texas to kill an illegal alien either. I'm no fan of Cruz and in fact I don't trust any Hispanic politician but making up stuff about him or any other conservative does lend credibility to one's case.
I find it repulsive that you are willing to cast someone aside merely because of their ethnic background. It's people like you who are the root cause of why we (the GOP) cannot win presidential elections anymore. This isent 1952 anymore, Hispanics and the Spanish language are not going to go away. We can't be the Old White Men's party anymore. A political party that panders exclusively to people like my dad who were in elementary school when Ike was president will not be able to maintain it's relevance in the modern United States which is as much a Latin American nation as it is an Anglo American nation.

As for Ted Cruz in particular, I consider myself a true conservative Republican (without the racial or religious right babble nonsense) and I would never vote for him. He is a lunatic. Governing requires comprise, adherence to some sort of mythical "purity test" is pointless when it comes to governing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections