Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

I've seen this idea that if you don't like your party's candidate, you don't vote in the election pop up on at least two different threads and I have to wonder why people think that works? Isn't it more effective to vote for say the Democrat over the Republican or the Republican over the Democrat if you don't like the candidate. Hopefully someone can explain this to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 10:53 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I've seen this idea that if you don't like your party's candidate, you don't vote in the election pop up on at least two different threads and I have to wonder why people think that works? Isn't it more effective to vote for say the Democrat over the Republican or the Republican over the Democrat if you don't like the candidate. Hopefully someone can explain this to me.
You can always vote third party or write-in. For those who believe the system is rigged, why dignify it with a vote?

Old 01-16-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
You can always vote third party or write-in. For those who believe the system is rigged, why dignify it with a vote?
Those options exist but for the most part it don't effect elections for the most part unless you talk about individual districts a state here and there or in the case of the 2000 election when Nader hurt the Gore vote in some states, the Ross Perot vote taking from both Bush and Clinton in 1992 and all the way back to 1968 with Wallace winning the former Dixiecrat vote over Nixon and Humphrey. I'd still agree with voting 3rd party or write-in over staying at home.

As for the system being rigged, unless enough people stay at home who normally vote (on top of those who generally don't vote) there's no fixing it. Most of the time it is too few people that decide to not to vote or vote third party.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
There are few ways a voter can voice his displeasure over the choices presented to him.

Every election, I read where someone is posting saying they showed their party a thing or two by refusing to vote and just staying home. Staying home, of course, doesn't send a signal to anyone, but it's easier than holding a nose and voting for the best of two bad choices. The only thing staying home does is make an angry person feel more justified for not going to the polls.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There are few ways a voter can voice his displeasure over the choices presented to him.
What in your opinion are ways to voice displeasure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Every election, I read where someone is posting saying they showed their party a thing or two by refusing to vote and just staying home. Staying home, of course, doesn't send a signal to anyone, but it's easier than holding a nose and voting for the best of two bad choices. The only thing staying home does is make an angry person feel more justified for not going to the polls.
I don't get why hardline Republicans or hardline Democrats do that. It don't help. Either party will still win by other votes and the party will decide if they need to shift if they lose. When I hear this logic, I think of this commercial from the 1964 presidential election where a moderate Republican who is a legacy of Republican stated he needed to vote for LBJ over Barry Goldwater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiG0AE8zdTU

Old 01-16-2015, 05:20 PM

Yeh, ha, LBJ over Goldwater. Look how THAT ended up.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:33 PM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Not everyone is a useful idiot with a "party" affiliation. 42% of the people identify themselves as independent voters. Why would these independent voters go to the polls if they dislike both major political crime families?

Old 01-16-2015, 05:50 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times
Write-in and third party votes can likely be justified if one's only concern is the dislike of/lack of enthuasm for the specific Democratic and Republican candidates seeking election. On the other hand, if the concern is the inherent corruption of the electoral system itself, choosing not to participate is the only rational way to react to the fetid system.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Not everyone is a useful idiot with a "party" affiliation. 42% of the people identify themselves as independent voters. Why would these independent voters go to the polls if they dislike both major political crime families?
I know, right? What's the logic behind this "you better vote for one party or the other"?

There's the US, and then there's Washington, the occupation government. I'll just let the great George Carlin explain it. Caution: some profanity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjU1cVJlBEI

Old 01-16-2015, 06:38 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
The most common reason for partisans staying at home is that they don't like what's on the ballot representing their party that year, and it's quite logical to not vote for what you don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Don't dignify someone or some party you don't like with your vote; if there is someone or some party you like, vote for them no matter what their "chances to win" are. The winning condition is to obtain the most votes, and you help the candidate get closer to that by your vote; someone should set a positive example, and if one votes a certain way others may follow in the future that may not otherwise have. Elections are supposed to represent the people, and not representing yourself honestly perverts the signal government receives. "The lesser of two evils" is still just that: evil, and if you vote for evil all you do is aid evil. It is a meaningless fear tactic used by oligarchs to perpetuate the status quo; it's the only conclusion that makes sense, since no one wants what they believe is evil government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections