U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:06 AM

36,218 posts, read 16,188,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The meeting was arranged prior to Romney announcing he was running yet again. It was just a meeting, and there is no way in this day and age that two white guy establishment candidates would run on the same ticket.
Really? And just what minority do you think Hillary will pick to run with her if she decides to run? Who cares what race or color of skin a candidate has anyway? So in this day and age there has to be a minority on the ticket in order to make it reputable or even electable? Have we really come down to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 08:44 AM

71,658 posts, read 83,216,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I am also wondering what happened to Romney to (apparently) change his mind. Has he been secretly meeting with Brett Favre?
My morning smile: I wanted to rep you but I have to spread it around.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The meeting was arranged prior to Romney announcing he was running yet again. It was just a meeting, and there is no way in this day and age that two white guy establishment candidates would run on the same ticket.
What did I miss? When did Romney say he was running again?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 AM

752 posts, read 447,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
"It's possible we'll see a Romney-Bush ticket arise out of this confab, IMO."
The optics of such a ticket would be awful. Two silver-spoon-fed male Caucasians borne of political dynasties who worked in the financial sector. Not gonna happen. But Brian Sandoval and Susanna Martinez should probably keep their phones handy in August '16 ...

Old 01-30-2015, 02:38 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,493,279 times
Default Excellent call

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I think Bush was trying to tell Romney to back off. After all, Romney has had a couple of shots at this, and proven himself to be politically divisive and repulsive in being rejected both times. Romney represents a direction that the GOP dares not go in again, for this would be political suicide. They must recreate themselves away from the rich-only supporting, bigoted ideology that they represent. Bush represents a new tactic the GOP is taking, which is to pretend to be moderate, pretend to be for immigration, pretend to care about income inequality and poor people, pretend to be more like Democrats, all to sucker in votes. Romney's presence undermines this new strategy.

Bush will show moderate to get elected, but go right once elected. He will give the impression that he can benefit the country, while in practice, doing the opposite. Thumbs down on Dubya II.
^This.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:47 PM

21,226 posts, read 14,240,152 times
I just hear this morning that Romney officially announced he is not going to make another run in 2016.

Who knows? It seems to me that, if there was a show-down at high noon between Romney and Bush, Romney blinked.

None of us will most likely ever know what went on between them. For all I know, Romney's announcement may be part of a plan they mutually cooked up.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:32 PM

87,901 posts, read 3,657,153 times
I can see Romney changing his mind in 6 months to a year if Jeb is not catching on with the party.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I just hear this morning that Romney officially announced he is not going to make another run in 2016.

Who knows? It seems to me that, if there was a show-down at high noon between Romney and Bush, Romney blinked.

None of us will most likely ever know what went on between them. For all I know, Romney's announcement may be part of a plan they mutually cooked up.
I totally disagree. Romeny isn't all that popular with many insiders, he is a 2 time loser and he would have a hard time getting the nomination at this point, after dropping out before getting started. I think his days of running for office are behind him. He will support the party, probably a particular candidate (I am guessing Rubio) and be content with this.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 AM

36,218 posts, read 16,188,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
OMG, what a fitting pair that would make… are there any politicians more contaminated with the stink of 'no thank you' than these two (with most of it from their own party)?!
No thank you to what?

Old 02-01-2015, 05:35 AM

5,556 posts, read 5,020,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merv1225 View Post
I can see Romney changing his mind in 6 months to a year if Jeb is not catching on with the party.
Oh, don't worry about JEB! catching on with the party. The "party", and more importantly, its consultants, have been backing JEB! all along, even during Mitt's campaign. Mind you, I'm talking about the party machine, not the individual private citizens who belong to the party. It's just like I said, Mitt was never meant to win the presidency, the Republican consultants undermined him. To those paying close attention, it became obvious.

They couldn't have run a worse campaign for him if they'd tried. Mitt was just a place holder for JEB! and I don't think he ever realized it. I'm not sure if he realizes this even now, but maybe JEB! finally explained the facts of life to him in the confab. It's interesting to see all the former Mitt supporters jumping to JEB! like rats deserting a sinking ship.

I wondered who was going to have the leverage in that conference, now I know. My guess is Mitt was offered Secretary of the Treasury if he backed JEB! (assuming JEB! wins, and I'm not so sure he will) It will be interesting to see how things unfold going forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or