U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 12:57 PM

32,137 posts, read 16,517,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Dane, are you saying that all politicians are in it for the money? I'm shocked! I thought they wanted to be public servants. The WHOLE public.
The question in my mind is whether professional campaigners should be considered politicians. Those who seek office to influence policy are politicians. Those who work the media knowing damn well they'll never be elected, but stay on to cash in on contributions, speaker fees etc. - they, in my mind, are a lower class.

They distract, they don't contribute, and they give the electorate a reason to dislike the entire process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 01:02 PM

36,363 posts, read 16,235,046 times
Quote:
Leviticus predates Jesus by a good while, and is not a part of the New Covenant. Jesus Himself had far more important matters to deal with, such as greed and callousness towards the unfortunate.

if you will notice, He spent his time among the sick, the diseased, the unwashed, the prisoners, the prostitutes, the unemployed, the hungry, and the poor. He didn't have a lot of use for people who had money and refused to share it with those less fortunate, and he had no use for politics except to oppose the power structure that was all about money and power, much like Washington today. And yes, I can show you passages that say these things directly in your red-letter edition.

If you read what I said about camels and needles, you would understand that what JESUS said was that it is difficult for a rich man to get to Heaven - not impossible.

As far as a moral compass, I have gay friends who have been in committed relationships for decades and consider themselves good Christians. They volunteer at food banks and soup kitchens, they sing in church choirs, they tithe and donate to charity over and above what they give to the church. What you are saying is that they cannot be Christians, which I think is absolutely wrong. If they profess Christianity and live Christianity, they are Christians. I seem to recall Jesus saying something about not judging others as well. Anyone who uses their beliefs to attempt to deny the rights and freedoms of another is using their bible as a weapon. Think about it.
Perceived rights. You may think I don't have a right to do this or that but someone else thinks I do. It's about a difference of opinion no matter what the basis for one's opinion is. We live in a democracy and that means we all have a right to our "opinions". I have every right in the world to oppose certain legislations I don't agree with no matter what my reason is for doing so just as you do. You see, how that works?

Old 01-29-2015, 02:07 PM

18,062 posts, read 10,091,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Perceived rights. You may think I don't have a right to do this or that but someone else thinks I do. It's about a difference of opinion no matter what the basis for one's opinion is. We live in a democracy and that means we all have a right to our "opinions". I have every right in the world to oppose certain legislations I don't agree with no matter what my reason is for doing so just as you do. You see, how that works?
Oppose away! That is, indeed, your right under the First Amendment, and I wouldn't try to stop you. Just don't pretend it's religion when you try to take away someone else's rights. Everybody doesn't share your religious views, and nobody's religious views should be used to make laws for exactly that reason.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:59 PM

26,623 posts, read 11,152,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Like you, I'd have liked it more if Obama had cleaned up Dubya's messes a lot sooner than he did.
sigh ...He didn't clean up anything. We're still there.

Quote:
Cheer up.
You drinking again?

Quote:
You'll always have the birth certificate.

I don't care where one is born. It's always about policy.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:10 PM

35,083 posts, read 19,189,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
sigh ...He didn't clean up anything. We're still there.

You drinking again?
Not yet.

You?

Quote:
I don't care where one is born. It's always about policy.
Sure it is.

Bush fouls up in epic fashion, not a problem.

Obama doesn't clean it up fast enough to suit you, big problem.

Carry on.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:30 PM

26,623 posts, read 11,152,317 times
Quote:
Not yet.
You?
Sure it is.

Bush fouls up in epic fashion, not a problem.

Obama doesn't clean it up fast enough to suit you, big problem.

Carry on.
Fast enough? He hasn't started. That's what you don't get.
Stand up for what you believe in. (If you can at all after 3-4 rounds.) You want the troops home or only when an R is in the White House?!

Old 01-29-2015, 03:49 PM

58,065 posts, read 40,838,272 times
Ben Carson the Republican's Rock Star

I thought Ted Nugent was the Republicans' Rock Star?

Old 01-29-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Oppose away! That is, indeed, your right under the First Amendment, and I wouldn't try to stop you. Just don't pretend it's religion when you try to take away someone else's rights. Everybody doesn't share your religious views, and nobody's religious views should be used to make laws for exactly that reason.
There is no pretending. Why would there be? If a law is in place that I don't agree with(regardless of my reasons) how am I removing anyone's rights by objecting to it? They would have the law to back them up, wouldn't they? You don't have the right to tell someone they can't base their views or vote on whatever they seem fit to base them on. You contradict yourself when you mention First Amendment rights and then turn around and say by having an opinion on something that differs from yours (and some others) it is removing someone's rights. WTH are you talking about?

Old 01-29-2015, 03:54 PM

18,977 posts, read 15,439,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

You can have whatever belief or opinion you want. The issue is, if we base laws on those personal religious beliefs, because that is a Theocracy.

Also after pointing out Leviticus on why same-sex marriage should be illegal, I noticed you failed to comment on if you think other parts of Leviticus should become law

Old 01-29-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You can have whatever belief or opinion you want. The issue is, if we base laws on those personal religious beliefs, because that is a Theocracy.

Also after pointing out Leviticus on why same-sex marriage should be illegal, I noticed you failed to comment on if you think other parts of Leviticus should become law
If legislation is put on a ballot to vote on I have every right to vote yay or nay regardless of what my views are based on just as you have that same right. I'm not going to discuss the entire Bible with you in here. The discussion is about gay marriage. I have no problem with them having a civil union but not a marriage in the true sense of the word. Do I think that a gay relationships are in direct conflict with the Bible's teachings? Yes I do. Don't like it then I can't help you. I am not demanding that you go along with my beliefs so why are you demanding that I agree with yours? I don't see it your way and I never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections