U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2015, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,419,657 times
Reputation: 7829

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
yeah silly, its winners takes all per state in the electoral college....if its done proportionally by the popular vote of each state then it would be a pretty close election.

Romney won 24 states Obama won 26 states.......the difference in popular vote was less than 5 million.........in a nation that over 127 million voters votes how is that an embarrassed defeat?
Well presidents aren't elected by popular votes. Mittens got embarrassed in 2012 and didn't want a repeat of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2015, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
18,976 posts, read 15,428,301 times
Reputation: 3946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Nonsense. Romney won independents by a massive margin, which wouldn't have happened if he had ran too far to the right.

The reason he lost is because white working class conservatives stayed home.

Romney would have made a fine President either in 2012 or 2016. I am disappointed that he isn't running. Not only because he would have made a fine President, but because his decision practically guarantees Jeb will get the nomination at the expense of an actual conservative.

Conservatives didn't stay home, they turned out fine. Independents and moderates aren't exactly the same thing. Romney did win Independents, he won them by 5, however he lost moderates by 15
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,054 posts, read 29,419,657 times
Reputation: 7829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
You're talking to someone who doesn't think the 2010 and 2014 midterms were embarrassing defeats for the Democrats. So I'd stop wasting my time if I were you.
False statement, the Democrats should be ashamed of what happened in 2010 and 2014. The Republicans crushed them in both elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 10:53 AM
 
11,058 posts, read 3,723,441 times
Reputation: 5184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
His whole self deportation thing was a bit absurd, he didn't raise his hand when asked if he believed in Evolution, he wanted to give even more tax cuts to the wealthiest (on top of the ones Bush already gave) he wanted to write discrimination into the Constitution of the United States, he wanted to continue the war in Iraq. The media isn't why he didn't win. He didn't win because he had to run well to the right in the Primaries.



how is self deportation absurd??? what is the other option??? amnesty or knocking on people's doors and arresting 20 million illegals??? the feds don't have the manpower for that.


the Majority of illegals come here because of jobs and government handouts....Romney's take was SECURE THE BORDER FIRST!!! , if you don't give them jobs and don't give them government handouts they will eventually return to their country or finally apply for a work visa like they were supposed to in the first place....you know follow that silly thing call THE LAW!...but I guess that is too extreme for the left.


Romney was for tax cuts for EVERYBODY that earns money and cut government spending. I know for democrats and their class warfare that is bad but people keeping more of their earnings is better for the economy than Washington keeping it.


how did Romney wanted to write discrimination in the U.S. CONSTITUTION???? He was going to do all that by himself and a pen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 10:55 AM
 
11,058 posts, read 3,723,441 times
Reputation: 5184
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well presidents aren't elected by popular votes. Mittens got embarrassed in 2012 and didn't want a repeat of that.

if you say so......the fact is 61 million Americans out of 125 million who voted, picked Romney......24 states out of 50 states picked Romney.


Less than 5 million Americans in a Nation of 320 million, decided the 2012 election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
18,976 posts, read 15,428,301 times
Reputation: 3946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
how is self deportation absurd??? what is the other option??? amnesty or knocking on people's doors and arresting 20 million illegals??? the feds don't have the manpower for that.


the Majority of illegals come here because of jobs and government handouts....Romney's take was, if you don't give them jobs and don't give them government handouts they will eventually return to their country or finally apply for a work visa like they were supposed to in the first place....you know follow that silly thing call THE LAW!...but I guess that is too extreme for the left.


Romney was for tax cuts for EVERYBODY that earns money and cut government spending. I know for democrats and their class warfare that is bad but people keeping more of their earnings is better for the economy than Washington keeping it.


how did Romney wanted to write discrimination in the U.S. CONSTITUTION???? He was going to do all that by himself and a pen?
Self deportation was simply not going to work, and would have simply had the illegals go further under the radar.

His tax cuts favored those at the top, they would have received the vast majority of the tax cuts.

Romney favored writing discrimination into the Constitution by amending the Constitution to make same-sex marriage illegal. Now, he wouldn't have been able to do that by himself, and it would have never passed. However, he did run on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 11:10 AM
 
Location: San Antonio Texas
11,435 posts, read 16,425,802 times
Reputation: 5224
Default Mitt Romney won't run for Prez for 2016

Mitt Romney says he will not make 2016 White House bid

I think that this is a positive for the Repubs. The polls look good for Romney right now because of his name recognition. But the SAME arguments would have been brought up in the campaign such as: growing imbalance between rich and middle class along with his 47% comment, his refusal to show his income tax returns, his mormon religion, etc. I don't think that Dems represent the middle class very well anymore, but they would certainly represent me (in my case) better when it comes to social issues.
If Jebs wins, we will have the FIRST "Mexican-American" POTUS just like Clinton was called the nation's first "Black" POTUS>

Last edited by wehotex; 01-30-2015 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 11:10 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
14,330 posts, read 19,496,696 times
Reputation: 18436
Default No surprise; kudos to President Obama

I predicted that the meeting with Jeb and Romney, was for Jeb to urge Romney NOT to run, and he succeeded. He didn't have to work too hard to convince Mitt to hit the dusty trail.

After all, this pompous goon who only wanted to represent less than half the country, is laughable as a presidential candidate. He was beaten into utter submission by the class, effectiveness, poise, substance, character, depth, and total superiority of President Obama.

So chalk this up as yet another great achievement by this President, added to the long list of Obama achievements that Republicans could NEVER accomplish, in making that Romney realize that he never was, and never will be, presidential material.

Fine work, Mr. President. CHANGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 11:12 AM
 
11,058 posts, read 3,723,441 times
Reputation: 5184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Self deportation was simply not going to work, and would have simply had the illegals go further under the radar.

His tax cuts favored those at the top, they would have received the vast majority of the tax cuts.

Romney favored writing discrimination into the Constitution by amending the Constitution to make same-sex marriage illegal. Now, he wouldn't have been able to do that by himself, and it would have never passed. However, he did run on that.


you are saying ENFORCING our laws is not an option? .....then throw in the white flag and open the borders and make Mexico into a U.S. state or make them U.S. Nationals.

if you give tax cuts across the board, OBVIOUSLY if you earn more you would keep more of your money! ....I know that doesn't fit well with the class warfare narrative of the left. People will invest in the economy and market better with their money than Washington......the difference is Romney trust more the people with their money and Obama trust big government with other people's money.



You mean Romney supported a LAW that Bill Clinton signed into law in 1996 and Hillary supported it?

and you guys elected Bill Clinton TWICE ( and if he could run again, would nominate him again) and will probably nominate Hillary????? LMAO!!! Talk about hypocrisy!!!


by the way, I believe marriage is a state issue not a federal one....I didn't support Bill Clinton signing DOMA into law, that didn't make Bill or Hillary extreme. I hope you guys on the pro gay marriage side will be as tough on Hillary as with Romney with her flip flopping on the issue....I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2015, 11:16 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
1,292 posts, read 1,761,011 times
Reputation: 806
Well why waste time and resource if you were Romney? He wouldn't win anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top