U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2015, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
19,017 posts, read 15,472,483 times
Reputation: 3956

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
because Presidential elections are a popularity contest of 2 people. The person who is more likeable wins, that's why Mondale, Dukakis, Dole, Gore, Kerry, Mccain and Romney were not Presidents. That's why I said the POTUS is mostly a figurehead.


explain the majority of the governorships and legislatures of the nation?.....different electorate there too?

36 Governor races are in midterm years, an additional 5 are during off year elections, only 11 Governor races are during Presidential years (2 states have 2 year Governor terms). As far as State Legislature, the GOP won big in the midterm year of 2010, which allowed them to draw the districts in many more state Legislatures and Congressional districts than Democrats did (a handful of states have State Legislative and Congressional districts drawn by either the Courts or Independent panel, however most are drawn by State Legislatures.

As far as Presidential years, it actually has more to do with how moderates vote. However, I wasn't talking just about races for President, I was also talking about races for Governor, Senate and the House in those years that have the higher turnout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2015, 09:35 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,439 posts, read 33,745,283 times
Reputation: 14218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
36 Governor races are in midterm years, an additional 5 are during off year elections, only 11 Governor races are during Presidential years (2 states have 2 year Governor terms). As far as State Legislature, the GOP won big in the midterm year of 2010, which allowed them to draw the districts in many more state Legislatures and Congressional districts than Democrats did (a handful of states have State Legislative and Congressional districts drawn by either the Courts or Independent panel, however most are drawn by State Legislatures.

As far as Presidential years, it actually has more to do with how moderates vote. However, I wasn't talking just about races for President, I was also talking about races for Governor, Senate and the House in those years that have the higher turnout.

I know your not saying, mid-terms are not important enough to vote.

Dang, the Dems swept seats in 2012 retaking the house?
They took over state legislatures?
Dems got to be Governors?
2012 was a good year for Democrats because it was a Presidential election hear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Florida
62,954 posts, read 34,295,019 times
Reputation: 10454
Quote:
McCain, nor Romney, couldn't pull any Independents.
They did their best to push them away, Romney with his open resentment for middle class and the poor, and McCain with his fantasies about starting a war with Iran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
19,017 posts, read 15,472,483 times
Reputation: 3956
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I know your not saying, mid-terms are not important enough to vote.

Dang, the Dems swept seats in 2012 retaking the house?
They took over state legislatures?
Dems got to be Governors?
2012 was a good year for Democrats because it was a Presidential election hear?

The GOP drew most of the State Legislatures and Congressional districts in 2010, protecting many of the most vulnerable seats, so there really wasn't an opportunity for the Dems to take anything over. They did, however pick up a net 9 seats in the House in 2012. Of the 33 Senate seats that were up in 2012, the Democrats won 23 of them, 2 were won by Independents who Caucus with the Democrats, 8 were won by Republicans. Out of the 11 Governor races that were up in 2012, 7 were won by Democrats,

Last edited by Smash255; 02-04-2015 at 10:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 11:22 AM
 
11,057 posts, read 3,753,160 times
Reputation: 5197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The GOP drew most of the State Legislatures and Congressional districts in 2010, protecting many of the most vulnerable seats, so there really wasn't an opportunity for the Dems to take anything over. They did, however pick up a net 9 seats in the House in 2012. Of the 33 Senate seats that were up in 2012, the Democrats won 23 of them, 2 were won by Independents who Caucus with the Democrats, 8 were won by Republicans. Out of the 11 Governor races that were up in 2012, 7 were won by Democrats,

https://www.multistate.com/state-res...s-legislatures



Republicans control 31 states with governorships and 33 state legislatures.

In Florida the GOP controls the governorship, state senate by a margin of 25 to 14 and state house 80 to 38.


In Ohio the GOP controls the governorship, state senate by a margin of 23 to 10 and state house 65 to 34.



Wisconsin a blue state in POTUS elections the GOP controls the governorship, state senate 19 to 14 and state house 63 to 36.


Michigan another blue state in POTUS elctions.....Gop Controls the governorship, State senate 27 to 11 and state house 63 to 47.

New Mexico another blue state in POTUS elections....GOP has governorship, State senate is democrat 25 to 17 but state house is GOP 37 to 33.

Pennsylvania is a blue state for POTUS .....governor is democrat but state senate is GOP 30 to 20 and the state house is GOP 119 to 84.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
19,017 posts, read 15,472,483 times
Reputation: 3956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
https://www.multistate.com/state-res...s-legislatures



Republicans control 31 states with governorships and 33 state legislatures.

In Florida the GOP controls the governorship, state senate by a margin of 25 to 14 and state house 80 to 38.


In Ohio the GOP controls the governorship, state senate by a margin of 23 to 10 and state house 65 to 34.



Wisconsin a blue state in POTUS elections the GOP controls the governorship, state senate 19 to 14 and state house 63 to 36.


Michigan another blue state in POTUS elctions.....Gop Controls the governorship, State senate 27 to 11 and state house 63 to 47.

New Mexico another blue state in POTUS elections....GOP has governorship, State senate is democrat 25 to 17 but state house is GOP 37 to 33.

Pennsylvania is a blue state for POTUS .....governor is democrat but state senate is GOP 30 to 20 and the state house is GOP 119 to 84.

Again I am talking about the differing electorate between a Presidential year and a Midterm year. None of those you listed were elected during a Presidential year.

On top of that, Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania all have Gerrymandered Congressional districts and State Legislative districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,402 posts, read 14,352,256 times
Reputation: 15845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The first Progressive, was a Republican. You fail.
Yeah, but he's very long dead, and I don't think he will be running in 2016. Another fail, Bent. Try to catch up to the times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 03:55 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,439 posts, read 33,745,283 times
Reputation: 14218
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yeah, but he's very long dead, and I don't think he will be running in 2016. Another fail, Bent. Try to catch up to the times.
You failed, because you have been programmed to think, all Republicans are Conservative.
I reminded you who the first Progressive to hold office was.
Tell me Hoover was a Conservative.

We have not had anyone resembling a conservative in the whitehouse, since Coolidge.
They didn't call it the roaring 20's for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,402 posts, read 14,352,256 times
Reputation: 15845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You failed, because you have been programmed to think, all Republicans are Conservative.
I reminded you who the first Progressive to hold office was.
Tell me Hoover was a Conservative.

We have not had anyone resembling a conservative in the whitehouse, since Coolidge.
They didn't call it the roaring 20's for nothing.
I haven't been programmed at all, but you sure have. When was the last time you voted for a Democrat?
I voted mostly Republican last year. I've never voted a straight ticket in my life. Can you say the same?

As to the rest of this, well, whatever, Bent. I don't live spend my life walking forward while looking backward, like you do. None of those guys are going to ever be running again. And they're all dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2015, 05:20 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,439 posts, read 33,745,283 times
Reputation: 14218
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I haven't been programmed at all, but you sure have. When was the last time you voted for a Democrat?

Bill Clinton, 1992
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top