Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:32 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You cannot find anyone who has been discriminated by this church. And you cannot find anything in Obama's many years of public service that indicate he is seeking a "seperatist" agenda. Yet you still try and claim he is, absent any legitimate evidence.

Why is that?
It's because he is offended that Obama's church celebrates its African heritage, just as Judaism celebrates its Jewish heritage (i.e. chosen people and all that jazz), or the Roman Catholic church celebrates its Eurocentric Roman heritage.

You're right; the OP has not provided one shred of evidence that Obama actually even attends the church on a regular basis, much less subscribes to the church's creed in its entirety. He is just smearing Obama through guilt by association. There is little substance to his diatribes....it's becoming childish.

Funny thing is, Obama is accused of being a Christian separatist on this thread, while on another thread, he is being vilified as a Muslim stooge of Al Qaeda. The detractors can't make up their minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:41 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
You cannot find anyone who has been discriminated by this church. And you cannot find anything in Obama's many years of public service that indicate he is seeking a "seperatist" agenda. Yet you still try and claim he is, absent any legitimate evidence.

Why is that?
Are you serious????? Look at the church website. It screams the word "Black" all over it. Let a website scream "White" and that is called racist. There is no double standard! We are all equal, black, white, brown, etc.

His core belief on unity does not match the core belief of the church he attends, and as the voter, I have the right to ask and call out this inconsistency. The burden of truth is on Obama, to explain his inconsistency, not on the voter to accept at face value.

He doesn't ring true to those that look past his rhetoric!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:23 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The only reason there are black churchs is because the white "Christians" do not want to break bread with the blacks. Glad I spend my Sundays watching football at the local sports bar- where blacks are welcomed!
Find another excuse for not attending church, please. I am an Anglican and we have people of all races and ethnicities in our churches. In fact, the African and Asian Anglicans are THE most faithful.

Anglicanism spread globally because of the British Empire, BUT we do NOT call ourselves an unashamedly English Church rooted in the experiences of the English people and seeking to serve Anglo-Saxons. We call ourselves a worldwide fellowship of Christians and ALL are welcome and served. African Anglicans, Asian Anglicans, etc. worship in their own language and incorporate their own cultural expressions.

So, I, too, am troubled by Obama's church. The focus for any Christian Church should be Jesus Christ, who loved and served all, and the reason for its being is to worship and serve Him. This Trinity Church couldn't be more exclusive unless it posted "No non-African-Americans welcome" on its door. Its statements certainly make that apparent.

I remember before the statements of this church first came out, Obama had scheduled the pastor to come to events and campaign for him. But when it did become known, Obama canceled the pastor's appearances.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:59 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

So, I, too, am troubled by Obama's church. The focus for any Christian Church should be Jesus Christ, who loved and served all, and the reason for its being is to worship and serve Him. This Trinity Church couldn't be more exclusive unless it posted "No non-African-Americans welcome" on its door. Its statements certainly make that apparent.
As has been posted numerous times on the numerous threads about Obama belonging to a black church, Trinity has white members. Further, when I read their mission statement, I don't see how it doesn't do exactly what you say a church should do.

Quote:
Trinity United Church of Christ has been called by God to be a congregation that is not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ and that does not apologize for its African roots! As a congregation of baptized believers, we are called to be agents of liberation not only for the oppressed, but for all of God’s family. We, as a church family, acknowledge, that we will, building on this affirmation of "who we are" and "whose we are," call men, women, boys and girls to the liberating love of Jesus Christ, inviting them to become a part of the church universal, responding to Jesus’ command that we go into all the world and make disciples
Seems like the focus, as in any Christian Church, is Jesus Christ, who loved and served all, and its reason for its being is to worship and serve Him.

Again, if no one can find any evidence of Obama pursuing a "seperatist" agenda in any of his years in public service, then quit whining about this.

Once Obama is President, your ridiculous fears of...what I'm not exactly sure...will not happen. Obama is half black. He belongs to a black church. This black church asks black people to stand up for themselves and clean up their own community, and not wait around for white people to do it for them. Terrible things, I know.

But he's been a politician for years, and in his service, he's demonstrated quite clearly that he wants to reach out and serve everyone he represents. If you choose to ignore that to try and scare people into this ridiculous fantasy, that's your perogative. Its not a very honorable one, however.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Find another excuse for not attending church, please. I am an Anglican and we have people of all races and ethnicities in our churches. In fact, the African and Asian Anglicans are THE most faithful.

Anglicanism spread globally because of the British Empire, BUT we do NOT call ourselves an unashamedly English Church rooted in the experiences of the English people and seeking to serve Anglo-Saxons. We call ourselves a worldwide fellowship of Christians and ALL are welcome and served. African Anglicans, Asian Anglicans, etc. worship in their own language and incorporate their own cultural expressions.

I remember before the statements of this church first came out, Obama had scheduled the pastor to come to events and campaign for him. But when it did become known, Obama canceled the pastor's appearances.
Well said.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:05 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
United Church of Christ is a mainstream Christian, Protestant denominatio- just like Methodists or Lutherans. There isn't much radical about it, and the denomination isn't buddies with Farakhan

Old 01-10-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Once Obama is President, your ridiculous fears of...what I'm not exactly sure...will not happen. Obama is half black. He belongs to a black church. This black church asks black people to stand up for themselves and clean up their own community, and not wait around for white people to do it for them. Terrible things, I know.
Lets take your paragraph and change the words slightly.

"Once Obama is President, your ridiculous fears of...what I'm not exactly sure...will not happen. Obama is half white. He belongs to a white church. This white church asks white people to stand up for themselves........"

WOW!!! Suddenly sounds pretty racist and separatist doesn't it?

Old 01-10-2008, 02:22 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

"Once Obama is President, your ridiculous fears of...what I'm not exactly sure...will not happen. Obama is half white. He belongs to a white church. This white church asks white people to stand up for themselves........"

Why did you end my sentence right there?

If white people had been a centuries long discriminated minority group, and there was a church telling white people to stand up for themselves, then I'd have no problem with that.

It's only offensive if you pretend races are equal, and always have been.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:23 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

Yes ... to the person who's pathetically ignorant of American society from 1619 to about 1990.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
United Church of Christ is a mainstream Christian, Protestant denominatio- just like Methodists or Lutherans. There isn't much radical about it, and the denomination isn't buddies with Farakhan
Correct. The denomination is not buddies with Farrakhan. However, Obama's single church has ties with Farrakhan. Look at the website, it links to a magazine with Farrakhan on the cover. Search the web....the pastor of this church has spoken and traveled with Farrakhan.

A little research brings so much enlightenment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections