Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As a man I have no doubt that anyone who underestimates the emotional strength/resolve of women is making a huge mistake.
It's a fact that women have a higher threshold for pain than men.

I just find it laughable the same people who think Hillary is going to "cry" in front of Hugo Chavez, Kim Jong Il, and Ahmedinejad are the same people who support the guy who says he's gonna go personally have tea and crumpets with these people and emerge holding hands and playing kissy face (oh yeah, before saying he'd also nuke them if necessary).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What makes you think she'll "cry like a girl" in the face of world leaders the same way she did crying about personal issues?

Will Romney cry everytime he sends someone to war, thinking that it's one of his boys coming home in a coffin?

Blatant sexism on display here, and I NEVER play with "ism" decks of cards!
I know she wouldn't. That's why I say that she's playing to a stereotype of a damsel in distress. What, Hillary Clinton--through Whitewater, Monica gate, the imeachment, Oklahoma City, 9/11--now has a vulnerable, tearful moment on national TV? And it just happens to be on the eve of a primary where she believes that she's down significantly in the polls? WTFE.

The woman's tough as nails and cold as ice. Always has been. So I ain't buyin' the quiver in the voice and the tear in the corner of the eye.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:12 AM

278 posts, read 910,317 times
From the outside looking in, since I'm not at all a Hillary supporter, I can truly say it's the first time I liked her. If it was an act....it may have been a wise one. If it wasn't an act...then perhaps she is human, thus likeable, afterall.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:32 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
I think this NYT column explains this whole thing the best:

Quote:
What was moving her so deeply was her recognition that the country was failing to grasp how much it needs her. In a weirdly narcissistic way, she was crying for us. But it was grimly typical of her that what finally made her break down was the prospect of losing.
Can Hillary Cry Her Way Back to the White House? - New York Times

Old 01-10-2008, 11:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's a fact that women have a higher threshold for pain than men.

I just find it laughable the same people who think Hillary is going to "cry" in front of Hugo Chavez, Kim Jong Il, and Ahmedinejad are the same people who support the guy who says he's gonna go personally have tea and crumpets with these people and emerge holding hands and playing kissy face (oh yeah, before saying he'd also nuke them if necessary).

I agree with that philosophy, treat others civilly but let them know from the outset in no uncertain terms that if they in any way attack the US or its interests the gloves come off and they will be dealt with severely.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:50 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,345 times
Quote:
I agree with that philosophy, treat others civilly but let them know from the outset in no uncertain terms that if they in any way attack the US or its interests the gloves come off and they will be dealt with severely.

Ronald Reagan sat down with Gorbachez in talks over detente and nuclear disarmament; Richard Nixon sat down with Mao-Tse tung and facilitated the capitalist reformation of China. There's nothing wrong with talking with your enemies. Reagan and Nixon did it and produced positive results. Talking is not a sign of weakness.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:55 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
The woman's tough as nails and cold as ice. Always has been. So I ain't buyin' the quiver in the voice and the tear in the corner of the eye.
Have you ever met her? Because she's not a robot you know. She keeps herself under tight control because for most of her life she's been under scrutiny. First, when she was the first lady of Arkansas, and a lot of people criticized her for working, and for not wearing makeup, for keeping her maiden name, etc. People criticize her for her husband's weaknesses, and when she maintains control, she's an ice maiden, when a little bit of emotion leaks out (she teared up, she didn't actually cry), then she's faking it or she's too emotional to be the President. I think most people would feel frustration if they were in the damned if you do, damned if you don't position she lives in.

DC

Old 01-10-2008, 01:47 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,317 times
I have no sympathy for people who choose this existence knowing full well the shots they have to take and still go after it. They don't even mind being humiliated. Of course you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It's the name of the game.

And well put, backfist.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:50 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I have no sympathy for people who choose this existence knowing full well the shots they have to take and still go after it. They don't even mind being humiliated. Of course you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. It's the name of the game.

And well put, backfist.
EVERYBODY minds being humiliated. Whether you have sympathy for politicians or not is irrelevant. Bashing Hillary seems to be a hobby for some people, and they don't care how accurate their criticisms are. It doesn't seem like she gets the same playing field as Obama or McCain or even Huckabee. If people were expressing their opinions about her politics, I wouldn't say anything, but people are attacking HER, over and over again, falling over themselves to do so even when one attack contradicts another. And for the record, I don't think of this as a game. I'm sorry for those who do.

DC

Old 01-10-2008, 04:36 PM

278 posts, read 910,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Have you ever met her? Because she's not a robot you know. She keeps herself under tight control because for most of her life she's been under scrutiny. First, when she was the first lady of Arkansas, and a lot of people criticized her for working, and for not wearing makeup, for keeping her maiden name, etc. People criticize her for her husband's weaknesses, and when she maintains control, she's an ice maiden, when a little bit of emotion leaks out (she teared up, she didn't actually cry), then she's faking it or she's too emotional to be the President. I think most people would feel frustration if they were in the damned if you do, damned if you don't position she lives in.

DC
As I posted earlier, I saw a softer side of her that I actually liked. I don't personally agree with her politics, but all in all, she's been a tough trooper and true to who she is since her college days. She wouldn't get my vote....but she certainly deserves my respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections