U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:00 PM

6,415 posts, read 9,916,525 times

Advertisements

People with common sense and intelligence don't vote for others based off their skin color.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 PM

14,210 posts, read 10,068,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, there's a difference between "indio" culture and other cultures. Their ancestors still weren't indigenous to this country/ continent. They migrated here just like the Europeans did and their descendants don't have any more claim on this country/continent than anyone else who was born here nor does the term "Native American" apply to them any more than anyone else that was born here.
By your genius logic than no one is Native born anywhere.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 PM

21,287 posts, read 11,516,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I wouldn't have an issue with that if the person had a good platform that I supported.
I agree, if they are qualified, I would be proud to have a native American as President.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:16 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,103,507 times
Quote:
Their ancestors migrated here from somewhere else just like the Europeans did so they aren't anymore native to this country than the decendents of the Europeans who were born here also.

Besides, we should start voting based on one's ethnic or racial group now? I don't think so.
Yeah, like 15,000 to 20,000 years ago. Possibly even longer. If you look at it, everyone is an immigrant from somewhere, unless they are from Africa, that is the only place that humans are truly indigenous to. They immigrated to Asia and Europe about 40,000 to 50,000 years ago. I would say that being here for more then 10,000 years gives them status as native Americans and the continent was not discovered, for they were already here. Denying them status as Native is just another way to marginalize them.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:17 PM

13,266 posts, read 10,362,463 times
Whoever is the best candidate.

Have strong Cherokee blood.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:17 PM

6,554 posts, read 3,267,623 times
Quote:
No, there's a difference between "indio" culture and other cultures. Their ancestors still weren't indigenous to this country/ continent. They migrated here just like the Europeans did and their descendants don't have any more claim on this country/continent than anyone else who was born here nor does the term "Native American" apply to them any more than anyone else that was born here.
I don't understand why you feel so strongly about this. There were no people here, then a group of nomads came here through Alaska, at the earliest, 12,000 years ago.

It's not about who owns the land. But rather or not your American pride likes it, they are the Native Americans. They'd been here for over 10,000 years, living off the land. Europeans had been in Europe longer than that. And if you want to keep going, the earliest human (modern human) evolved about 120,000 years ago in Africa. So we're all African. But we migrated out and claimed land.

The people we know as Native Americans claimed the Americas. Europe showed up and thought otherwise. They shouldn't have done that, especially since many tribes offered to share the land and helped Europeans survive. Europeans, being some of the most twisted humans to ever live (they've changed a lot since then), killed them and stole their land anyway, despite this generosity.

That shouldn't have happened. But it did.

This isn't me saying white people need to go back to where they came from. If you were born here, you should be able to stay. Hell, even if you move here from elsewhere you should be able to stay and consider yourself an American. But history is history, and no matter how much we want to change it and sweep the world's largest genocide under the rug like it's a sex abuse scandal at the Vatican, we can't. It happened. Let's own up to it and try and live like civilized human beings form this point on. Treat all people like people. Recognize their culture. Don't replace logic with what I will call 'freedom math.'

Old 02-11-2015, 08:21 PM

723 posts, read 649,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage
It is about balance, folks !
Why not elect a Navajo, a Chippewa or a Dakota President?
Just asking

why?
I said it bro, it is about balance. Any American who qualifies can get elected and lead, not always the same ,same, same, same.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 PM

6,413 posts, read 9,103,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
Well, that's YOUR BELIEF.

My roots come from the Tigris & Euphrates river -- NOT Africa. But I am a Native American. My ancestry goes back in this country as far as I have records. I do know my ancestors were British, but I am an AMERICAN just like every other President except the Kenyan dog eater.
The people from the Tigris and Euphrates river came from Africa, that was basically the route out of Africa and thus much older in occupation then the rest of Asia, Europe and Australia. But all of the human race alive today came out of Africa, and even homo erectus came out of Africa. Only Neanderthals developed outside of Africa out of home erectus and that was over 400,000 years ago. But all homo sapiens sapiens came out of Africa.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:28 PM

6,554 posts, read 3,267,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
I said it bro, it is about balance. Any American who qualifies can get elected and lead, not always the same ,same, same, same.
The real issue there is accessibility and money. Most Native American Reservations are basically slums. They're under funded by a government that doesn't give a damn. The government is too spineless to call it a genocide (doing this in would be illegal in Germany) and they won't fix their mistake.

Many like to think our hatred of Native Americans is ancient history, but as recently as the 1960s, there was a push to 'adjust' history in the telling of Native Americans. Allegedly, Reagan even said in the 1980s that 'we should have killed them all' (I'm still looking for a source on it, but frankly, I wouldn't surprise me). And while I'm certainly aware that could be false, I do know he cut funding to Native American Reservations. Presumably, his plan was to get rid of them all together and force them to assimilate.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:29 PM

29,517 posts, read 16,417,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
It is about balance, folks !
Why not elect a Navajo, a Chippewa or a Dakota President?
Just asking
How about a midget? We've never had a midget president. Isn't it their turn now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or