U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:08 AM

491 posts, read 242,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Judging by your name, it's clear you know how to pick a winner.
It's nice to know that you feel that one's worth is dependent upon how well he does in a presidential election. Just remember that Bob Dole and John McCain risked their lives--and suffered greatly--for this country. Compare what they did to what you have accomplished in life, and then tell me who the real loser is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 11:13 AM

12,050 posts, read 11,119,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dole-McCain Republican View Post
It's nice to know that you feel that one's worth is dependent upon how well he does in a presidential election. Just remember that Bob Dole and John McCain risked their lives--and suffered greatly--for this country. Compare what they did to what you have accomplished in life, and then tell me who the real loser is.
Well, all three of us are veterans so there's that. You've shown me the light. I'm going to start calling myself a Gore-Kerry Democrat. No wait, make that a Dukakis-Gore-Kerry Democrat.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:46 AM

27,179 posts, read 15,701,758 times
I don't see Rubio as a likely nominee, nor do I see Cruz over Paul. I think this writer under estimates Paul. I want to see the debates before I give my real view other than Cruz or Carson who are both far right too far right to truly win a presidency. At least Paul is a candidate who can get the far right, maybe a few moderates and even youth and some minority votes. The republicans need a candidate that is conservative enough to satisfy the far right but won't turn off a moderate. Do I think a Bush could win, maybe. W. Bush shouldn't have won if we thought H. W. Bush was really that bad. Remember, it wasn't until the recession he had that his popularity tanked.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:00 PM

12,639 posts, read 7,297,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Well, all three of us are veterans so there's that. You've shown me the light. I'm going to start calling myself a Gore-Kerry Democrat. No wait, make that a Dukakis-Gore-Kerry Democrat.
All three of you are also more accomplished than the dope Obama, who you presumably voted for twice.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:06 PM

12,050 posts, read 11,119,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
All three of you are also more accomplished than the dope Obama, who you presumably voted for twice.
There's more to life than being a veteran. Obama is more accomplished than me, trace.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:51 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,029,150 times
Dole-McCain Republican"Were Jeb ever to get the nomination, all of that would turn on a time. Just ask Senator McCain."

I'm a JM fan, but he brought it on himself via a reckless, un JM like VP choice.

If he picks Lieberman, he loses as no Repub following 750k/mth job loss W could win, but JM with JL keeps it tighter, and the GOP has more Congressional seats in 1/2009, too.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:47 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,233,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Dole-McCain Republican"Were Jeb ever to get the nomination, all of that would turn on a time. Just ask Senator McCain."

I'm a JM fan, but he brought it on himself via a reckless, un JM like VP choice.

If he picks Lieberman, he loses as no Repub following 750k/mth job loss W could win, but JM with JL keeps it tighter, and the GOP has more Congressional seats in 1/2009, too.
It is debatable whether Palin made any difference in 2008. After all, Pres. Obama's choice was Joe Biden, who said that FDR went on TV in 1929, said that the answer to home invasion was to go out on the balcony and fire two shotgun blasts from a double barrel shotgun in the air (leaving yourself defenseless) and now of 'butt-buddy' fame.

The main issue in the 2008 election was the economic crash. Neither Obama nor McCain had a clue, but Obama had the superior BS and thus won the election. The VP choice for either probably did not matter.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:37 PM

31,091 posts, read 19,527,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Spare us the theatrics. You have always been a Hillary cheerleader. Nothing in the past year has changed nor could anything change your fawning fealty to her.
What I like best about Hilary is that she has the "herd of elephants" running in circles.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:06 PM

23,244 posts, read 11,491,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If I was Rubio, there is no way I would accept running as Vice President, especially at his age. The Vice Presidency is the dead letter office of politics.
Rubio is indeed a smart guy, but he's still too green. Another hitch in the Senate could position him much better than accepting running as V.P.

As a lot of regulars know, I was unconvinced for a long time here that Hillary will run, but now I can't see her not getting into the race.

But that does not mean she will automatically go for a second term when she wins. She will be 72 or 73 in 2020, and could well be a one-term President. Rubio could easily be a stronger contender then, and and even strong one in 2024, given his present youth.
the VP spot has never been dead letter of politics. What usually happens is those people simply decide not to run again, or keep their current job(Paul Ryan for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
She doesn't look the picture of health right now. Maybe that is why her profile is so low these days. But, apparently her party has already anointed her their next standard bearer, so why waste her precious energy, not to mention exposure, at this time.
Hillary doesnt have any health problems.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 PM

23,244 posts, read 11,491,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

if he picks Lieberman, the presidential race may have been closer, but the congressional one may not have been.

he would have picked off moderates, on his ticket alone, but lost his base and you assume that happens down the lines as well on congressional tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or