Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't have any quibble on the expert's list, but I do not believe Walker is an establishment Republican.

The one objective that must be achieved in 2016 for the GOP is swinging more uncommitted and independent voters toward their candidate than Romney or McCain did. This issue will decide who wins, and wasn't even mentioned in the article. Turning out the base is much easier for both parties in a Presidential election year. Both parties have bases who are now committed enough to turn out in large numbers, but luring those who very seldom vote is now more important than ever, because Obama showed they will go vote if attracted by a candidate who has all the right stuff in appeal.

Obama is an exceptionally good campaigner, but he is an even better organizer and motivator for his base. You can be certain that he will put his powers to use on Hillary's behalf; she was a loyal soldier, and Obama will not forget that. Hillary also has another huge advantage in Bill Clinton, one of the most popular 20th century presidents ever.

Can the Republicans overcome all that? Maybe, but whoever they choose will have to have a lot of charm and skill to woo away the women, minorities, and the uncommitted voters to pull off a win. Their base simply is not large enough to make the difference any longer.

If Trey Gowdy and Rand Paul can put Hilary in her place so easily, she should be a buffet for Ted Cruz. No matter who has a hand on her ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 12:58 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Ted Cruz has no more chance of becoming President or even winning the GOP nomination, than Snoopy.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:02 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Ted Cruz has no more chance of becoming President or even winning the GOP nomination, than Snoopy.
Right now I would elect Snoopy over our current president.

Old 02-18-2015, 01:08 AM

123 posts, read 149,501 times
I think Cruz can win in age real election. The problem is getting the nomination. They GOP establishment wants JEB bad.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would have some problems with Cruz and I do not think he can pull it off, but we shall see. In fact right now, I just d don't know what to think. One day I think one way, the next another, I guess I am a flip flopper just like some of the candidates.

I can only think of two candidates I support almost 100% right now and one will not get the bid and the other won't even run: 1 is S. Martinez and the other is Rubio.
I think, if Cruz is the debater he's touted to be, then that's when his star may rise. That's publicity he doesn't have to pay for.

Martinez doesn't run her state all that well. Second highest crime rate in the US, highest aggravated assaults in the nation, highest death rate from drugs in US (in her state more drug induced death than death from auto accidents), over-reliance on government aid and their credit rating went from stable to negative.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:12 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Default Amazing!

This is not the first thread on Mr. Cruz. There seems to be a frenzy in Liberal circles to discredit and paint a picture. Liberals are in fear of Cruz, just as they are with Palin. Cruz in threat to establishment and anti Clinton.
There is those that would go out of their way to destroy a Career. You got to remember Cruz was a preacher first thus anther reason why.

The Advantage is Mr. Cruz is holding his office and people in his district approve of him!

Old 02-18-2015, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't have any quibble on the expert's list, but I do not believe Walker is an establishment Republican.

The one objective that must be achieved in 2016 for the GOP is swinging more uncommitted and independent voters toward their candidate than Romney or McCain did. This issue will decide who wins, and wasn't even mentioned in the article. Turning out the base is much easier for both parties in a Presidential election year. Both parties have bases who are now committed enough to turn out in large numbers, but luring those who very seldom vote is now more important than ever, because Obama showed they will go vote if attracted by a candidate who has all the right stuff in appeal.

Obama is an exceptionally good campaigner, but he is an even better organizer and motivator for his base. You can be certain that he will put his powers to use on Hillary's behalf; she was a loyal soldier, and Obama will not forget that. Hillary also has another huge advantage in Bill Clinton, one of the most popular 20th century presidents ever.

Can the Republicans overcome all that? Maybe, but whoever they choose will have to have a lot of charm and skill to woo away the women, minorities, and the uncommitted voters to pull off a win. Their base simply is not large enough to make the difference any longer.
I think the one thing or two you are overlooking: 1-We didin't know much about this young, black man that was running for President and seemed to offer so much to everyone; we know about Hillary: 2-Hillary isn't Bill and is not all that well liked and as for Bill being one of the most popular 20th century Pres.that is true, buth ther were many: FDR, Kennedy and certainly Reagan.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think, if Cruz is the debater he's touted to be, then that's when his star may rise. That's publicity he doesn't have to pay for.

That is what Progressives on both sides of the isle, fear.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Martinez doesn't run her state all that well. Second highest crime rate in the US, highest aggravated assaults in the nation, highest death rate from drugs in US (in her state more drug induced death than death from auto accidents), over-reliance on government aid and their credit rating went from stable to negative.
Laura, I lived in NM for 7 years: most of what you are saying has more to do with the people who live in the state: she has little control over these things. The crime rate, and yes auto accident rate is awful; has been for generations: there are a lot of gangs in ABQ which is the only decent sized city in the state. Add to this, she is working or trying to work with a primarily Dem senate, though the house is slightly Republican. As for the government assistance the lack of education and the number of unwed moms has been very high for years.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,238,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If Trey Gowdy and Rand Paul can put Hilary in her place so easily, she should be a buffet for Ted Cruz. No matter who has a hand on her ass.

Another that thinks they have to verbally denigrate Hillary because they are scared of her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections