U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2015, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Florida
22,064 posts, read 9,375,156 times
Reputation: 18025

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
Sorry, but the Republicans didn't campain with throwing grandmothers over a cliff, saying the opposing party is going to take away your kid's school lunch, or they want dirty water, dirty air, etc.

As far as who is the "low-information voter party, I doubt the lady standing on the side of the road screaming "e'rbody come and get yo Obama phone" was a Repulican. And I'm pretty sure the lady saying she didn't have to worry about paying her mortgage or putting gas in her car voted for McCain...just sayin'.
Sorry, but you did not actually refute anything I stated. Just sayin....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,219 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Reputation: 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It has become a truism that D voters don't show up for mid-term elections. President Barack Obama said it. Ed Kilgore detailed it:
More on Democrats’ Mid-Term “Fall-off” Problem by Ed Kilgore | Political Animal | The Washington Monthly

Democrats took a shellacking in 2010 and 2014, yet emerged victorious in 2008 and 2012. Various Democrat pundits note this, but they never seem to broach the question of why. The fairly obvious answer is that the low info voter has become an important voting block for the Democratic party.

Let me be clear: there are plenty of D partisans out there who are smarter, more informed, and more engaged than me. But the low-info crowd has become an important arrow in the D quiver.

The low info voter will always be with us. It is part and parcel of democracy. How can the GOP turn the tables and appeal to the low info crowd?
Why do you believe it makes someone a low information voter for simply not voting in the off year election ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,219 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Reputation: 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
First of all education level and being politically informed are not the same thing. I knew a guy who delivered newspapers for a living; obviously he did not have a college degree. But he delivered 4-5 newspapers including the WSJ and NYT and read all of them every day. He was one of the most politically informed guys I have ever met.

Second of all, this is simple common sense. If a voter only shows up for presidential elections, he/she is ipso facto uninformed. He/she realizes the importance of the president, but not the importance of the congress.

Lastly there are various studies that have backed up the link between the low info voter and the Democratic party:

Omniscient FCC Strikes Again - WSJ
There are multiple flaws in your argument the most glaring one is that you did not post "various" studies, you posted 1.

The second being your one study only talked about one Presidential election, not a multitude Cant access the link and it doesnt name the poll so all i can go by is your quote), which means at best you should only be arguing that the " low information voter" favored Democrats in One election. And one election does not a trend make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 09:02 PM
 
12,840 posts, read 6,163,208 times
Reputation: 10693
IMO, the main reason that low information voters only show up to vote during presidential election years is that they think presidential elections are the only elections that matter. They are the same people who, for example, get angry if their property taxes go up. When you ask them if they voted in local elections, more often than not the answer is "NO". Yet, on a day-to-day level it's the local issues that impact our daily lives.

Plus, when low information voters go to the polls, if their candidate for president is a "D" (for example) they tend to vote straight "D". If you were to ask them who those other "D"s are, they wouldn't know---or care.

Kind of scary to think that people like this vote (shudder!) However, if they are citizens, they do have the right to vote...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,219 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Reputation: 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
IMO, the main reason that low information voters only show up to vote during presidential election years is that they think presidential elections are the only elections that matter. They are the same people who, for example, get angry if their property taxes go up. When you ask them if they voted in local elections, more often than not the answer is "NO". Yet, on a day-to-day level it's the local issues that impact our daily lives.

Plus, when low information voters go to the polls, if their candidate for president is a "D" (for example) they tend to vote straight "D". If you were to ask them who those other "D"s are, they wouldn't know---or care.

Kind of scary to think that people like this vote (shudder!) However, if they are citizens, they do have the right to vote...
Thats not a D or R thing though, its an everyone thing. I worked on a campaign for state senator last year and I know for a fact people had no idea who either candidate was or the fact that senate lines had even been redrawn. If fact, while i was at my polling place, multiple people asked why Senator Trip Pittman wasnt on the ballot.

voting a straight ticket in a Presidential election doesnt make you any more of a low information voter than the guy who votes straight republican in mid terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 PM
 
12,840 posts, read 6,163,208 times
Reputation: 10693
I didn't say it was strictly a dem thing. I just used voting "D" as an example. You need to have better reading comprehension skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,219 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Reputation: 4301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I didn't say it was strictly a dem thing. I just used voting "D" as an example. You need to have better reading comprehension skills.
I understand that. My point still stands(per my example). Voting in a mid term or local election doesnt make you more informed, it just means you vote more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2015, 11:19 PM
 
12,840 posts, read 6,163,208 times
Reputation: 10693
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I understand that. My point still stands(per my example). Voting in a mid term or local election doesnt make you more informed, it just means you vote more.
Really? I searched for a link that validates what you say and came up empty.

Your turn now---find a link and I will read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 05:10 AM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,219,961 times
Reputation: 7950
Again, voting in prez years but not mid terms is prima facie evidence of being uninformed. It means the person does not realize the importance of Congress, of the legislative branch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2015, 08:25 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,154 posts, read 33,583,941 times
Reputation: 14140
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It has become a truism that D voters don't show up for mid-term elections. President Barack Obama said it. Ed Kilgore detailed it:
More on Democrats’ Mid-Term “Fall-off” Problem by Ed Kilgore | Political Animal | The Washington Monthly

Democrats took a shellacking in 2010 and 2014, yet emerged victorious in 2008 and 2012. Various Democrat pundits note this, but they never seem to broach the question of why. The fairly obvious answer is that the low info voter has become an important voting block for the Democratic party.

Let me be clear: there are plenty of D partisans out there who are smarter, more informed, and more engaged than me. But the low-info crowd has become an important arrow in the D quiver.

The low info voter will always be with us. It is part and parcel of democracy. How can the GOP turn the tables and appeal to the low info crowd?

The Democrats were victorious in the presidential general election(they lost many local state and US races though), because the Republican establishment cannot pull the tea party independents, with a progressive candidate. A candidate the progressive media picks to support, because of Money and the Banking elite, running the world.

They could care less if it is democrat or republican at the helm, as long as it is a global new world order guy(banks running the world)
Money buys you the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top